Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2017, 06:49 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I am regularly plugged into a 20amp garage GFCI circuit at my house, and have for a number of years. Magnum works fine, nothing trips. I use a very heavy duty 50' extension, and keep the 50a shorepower cable coiled in the elec bay plugged into that extension.

You've got a problem somewhere, I wouldn't ignore. Start by replacing the house GFCI, and you may want to try a breaker box GFCI breaker instead of a socket GFCI.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2017, 09:41 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
I am regularly plugged into a 20amp garage GFCI circuit at my house, and have for a number of years. Magnum works fine, nothing trips. I use a very heavy duty 50' extension, and keep the 50a shorepower cable coiled in the elec bay plugged into that extension.

You've got a problem somewhere, I wouldn't ignore. Start by replacing the house GFCI, and you may want to try a breaker box GFCI breaker instead of a socket GFCI.
If you follow all the posts, seems like I'm not alone. It's not just one single GFCI at home, it's at several differnt locations that I have tried. Like I said, 20A, no problem. It's the 15A GFCI that cause the problem. All of my GFCI outlets at home are 15A. The 20A in my garage (freezer & central vacuum) and my RV carport are not GFCI protected.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 03:36 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Some reading I found Scotty.....

HOW DO WE PREPARE FOR GFCI ISSUES?
The two most common situations where GFCI outlets trip are when plugging in shore power or wiring up to an electrical panel. We can conclude there is an incompatibility when we consider the sensitivity of the outlets and that they were designed to protect you from a single appliance being plugged in. What happens is an electrical panel and/or the AC wiring can cause the GFCI to detect a discrepancy between line and neutral, as if there was a ground leak, even though there is not. These outlets were not really designed to have anything plugged down line from them, aside from the appliance and maybe an extension cord. Furthermore, your RV or boat likely has GFCI outlets located inside. Standard GFCI outlets tend to trip when they have other standard GFCI outlets down the line from them. If you need to energize an entire RV, boat, or electrical panel, I would recommend staying away from inverters that only have outlets. Inverters with a 3-wire AC hardwire terminal block option are designed and much better suited for these types of installations. These types of inverters with AC hardwire capability will often come with GFCI outlets as an option as well. I do not recommend altering the GFCI outlets or bypassing the ground prong as this can lead to other problems or hazards. Inverters with outlets only are suitable for plugging devices directly in or energizing a single 15-20 Amp circuit. Referring to how a GFCI outlets work and the purpose of ground fault protection is the most effective tool in preventing issues. Do not expect GFCI’s to do something they were not designed for.

Power Inverters and GFCI Tripping | Don Rowe Power Inverters Blog
Old 12-04-2017, 05:47 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Some reading I found Scotty.....

HOW DO WE PREPARE FOR GFCI ISSUES?
The two most common situations where GFCI outlets trip are when plugging in shore power or wiring up to an electrical panel. We can conclude there is an incompatibility when we consider the sensitivity of the outlets and that they were designed to protect you from a single appliance being plugged in. What happens is an electrical panel and/or the AC wiring can cause the GFCI to detect a discrepancy between line and neutral, as if there was a ground leak, even though there is not. These outlets were not really designed to have anything plugged down line from them, aside from the appliance and maybe an extension cord. Furthermore, your RV or boat likely has GFCI outlets located inside. Standard GFCI outlets tend to trip when they have other standard GFCI outlets down the line from them. If you need to energize an entire RV, boat, or electrical panel, I would recommend staying away from inverters that only have outlets. Inverters with a 3-wire AC hardwire terminal block option are designed and much better suited for these types of installations. These types of inverters with AC hardwire capability will often come with GFCI outlets as an option as well. I do not recommend altering the GFCI outlets or bypassing the ground prong as this can lead to other problems or hazards. Inverters with outlets only are suitable for plugging devices directly in or energizing a single 15-20 Amp circuit. Referring to how a GFCI outlets work and the purpose of ground fault protection is the most effective tool in preventing issues. Do not expect GFCI’s to do something they were not designed for.

Power Inverters and GFCI Tripping | Don Rowe Power Inverters Blog
Thanks Palehorse. That makes sense. We are certainly plugging in more than one single appliance when we plug in our RV's and there are definitely other GFCI's down the line.

Quote:
Do not expect GFCI’s to do something they were not designed for.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:57 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
I'm thinking about carrying a charger for when only a 15A GFCI outlet is available to keep my batteries charged. Do you think this is a good choice?