Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2017, 05:38 PM   #1

Plumbing a water filter under kitchen sink

We're going to ditch the bottled water plan. I will likely use several stages of external filters before the water gets into the unit, but also want to add a dedicated filter and spout at the kitchen sink just for drinking and cooking water. Questions:
1) How hard is it to drill through the solid surface countertop to install the faucet? If I screw it up, wife will likely sell me off . . .
2) Are the connections under the sink something that I can tap into using standard plumbing stuff purchased at Lowe's, Home Depot, Menard's or such? Or are they special RV fittings? I've looked at them, but would like to know as much as possible before I pull any of them apart.
3) Any input on what final filter(s) you'd use is appreciated, not going to go the RO route because of using so much water. Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2017, 05:56 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My Monaco Diplomat had a spigot at the sink and a filter under it. I always liked this setup for ease of getting filtered water. You can drill the sink with a concrete bit. Just go slow and easy. Yes, you should be able to tap into the water supply with parts from Home Depot. If you look, you should be able to find a small filter that will fit under the sink. My Diplomat used a replaceable filter that was about 10" long and 2" in diameter. Make sure you find one that can be quick connected and easily replaced.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:07 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you drill the Corian use a circle type saw with center drill. You only need to cut the plastic piping, not pull a fitting apart, the water filter I got at Home Depot and it mounted on wall with plastic piping to your water spigot to sink faucet and to the water shut off to spigot, so you can change the filter when needed.
You will see different ways of doing in this link.
This is what I got.
All the links below in my signature have links to more for your Newmar.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD1 View Post
3) Any input on what final filter(s) you'd use is appreciated, not going to go the RO route because of using so much water. Thanks!
RO units (like mine and others) are plumbed to that the RO waste water (brine) goes back into the RV's water tank.

You should really install an RO system because a typical 2-filter setup (sediment & carbon block) won't filter water like an RO membrane.

Otherwise, give this single cartridge system a look.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:15 AM   #5

I didn't have a filter when I bought my coach but the hookups and the spigot were there. I purchased a 5 micron carbon filter that filters water to the spigot and ice maker. It has some special biocide stuff in it. I purchased at RV Water Filter Store.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 12:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
RO units (like mine and others) are plumbed to that the RO waste water (brine) goes back into the RV's water tank.

You should really install an RO system because a typical 2-filter setup (sediment & carbon block) won't filter water like an RO membrane.

Otherwise, give this single cartridge system a look.
Thanks everyone! At this point, I'm probably most seriously considering something like the single filter unit you linked. I'll keep researching and looking at options but will probably use some sort of sediment filter at the input to the coach and more specific filtering under the sink. Definitely want something where I can easily replace the cartridge(s) easily. Leaning toward a standard 10" canister(s)
Old 07-10-2017, 05:25 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
As far as the plumbing goes, most hardware stores carry I think they are called shark bites which work great on the PEX plumbing in the coach. Buy plastic tubing cutters to cut the pipe and some extra PEX tubing and it is a relatively simple job....couple of hours total with shopping and learning etc. Make sure to lay out your project first and have all the fittings. Shut off water and open drain to get water out of the system. The fittings just slide on. They come with a tool that removes them also. I agree with the post above, do not try to remove the factory fittings. It is good to have some shark bite couplings along to fix other plumbing issues that may arise.
BrewdogMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:37 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My Magna came with the hot water spigot at the galley sink and it has it's own 3M filter. I unplugged the water heater since we never used it for hot water so now it's just used to fill the coffee maker and drinking water.
On the '02 DSDP I drilled a hole in the countertop and added a water spigot and canister water filter behind a panel under the sink. I knew it was there and I put a label on the cabinet before we traded the unit off.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:15 PM   #9

My last two coaches I installed reverse osmosis filter system which I bought at Costco. I installed the complete system under the sinks. I installed the brine tubing to the sink drain. The newer RO systems shut off when the filtered water storage tank is full so no way the gray tank will fill with brine.
With our 2017 DS4369 there is not enough room to mount under sink. Gonna try to mount it in basement under the refrigerator. Got to find a way to snake the filtered water into the FWS and then to the ice maker/cold water spigot.

Tags
plumbing, water