RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2007, 03:26 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Hi,
We are now looking at buying a 38' 1994 Newmar Kountry Star DP w/ 45,000 mi here in MA. Upgraded Cummins to 300 HP w/ 6 speed Allison. Rear queen, and 1 'super slide' with dinette/bed and a sofa that is a real pull-out sofa bed (meeting our requirement for sleeping 2 couples and 1, sometimes 2 kids). Loaded (to my thinking) with prep for washer/dryer, micro/convection, elec step, air horns, Jake brake, good rubber(6), hydro levelers, remote spotlight, 2 (small - which is OK) TV's, side radiator, big basement boxes, heated motorized mirrors, docking lights, tv cam, drivers door, cruise. Only thinge I see "wrong" are need to upgrade radio/casette to radio/cd/sirius w/ input for MP3, and need to add DVD player. Condition in and out is very, very good. One owner coach; they bought another Newmar.

So once again I ask for your thoughts. Most important is price. They want $49,000.00 firm, including the repair of anything found not working or significantly broken (but they will not make little cosmetic tweaks and debatable adjustments). Is this fair?

I'd also like to hear your experiences with this rig. I'm led to believe it's on the higher end of the quality scale, but nothing beats the stories of an actual user.

Thanks,
Larry

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2007, 03:26 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi,
We are now looking at buying a 38' 1994 Newmar Kountry Star DP w/ 45,000 mi here in MA. Upgraded Cummins to 300 HP w/ 6 speed Allison. Rear queen, and 1 'super slide' with dinette/bed and a sofa that is a real pull-out sofa bed (meeting our requirement for sleeping 2 couples and 1, sometimes 2 kids). Loaded (to my thinking) with prep for washer/dryer, micro/convection, elec step, air horns, Jake brake, good rubber(6), hydro levelers, remote spotlight, 2 (small - which is OK) TV's, side radiator, big basement boxes, heated motorized mirrors, docking lights, tv cam, drivers door, cruise. Only thinge I see "wrong" are need to upgrade radio/casette to radio/cd/sirius w/ input for MP3, and need to add DVD player. Condition in and out is very, very good. One owner coach; they bought another Newmar.

So once again I ask for your thoughts. Most important is price. They want $49,000.00 firm, including the repair of anything found not working or significantly broken (but they will not make little cosmetic tweaks and debatable adjustments). Is this fair?

I'd also like to hear your experiences with this rig. I'm led to believe it's on the higher end of the quality scale, but nothing beats the stories of an actual user.

Thanks,
Larry

Old 01-20-2007, 12:30 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Not to many replies Larry lets see if we can get something going, the coach does have most of the options of that period. 45'000 for a DP is like its just broken in as long as it has had good maintenance. Because of low milege and condition of coach maybe why they are firm in price. You may not find a coach of this age at another dealers to compare with so your much on your own. If you had a friend with a DP or know a mechanic maybe they could help.
Lets see if this action will get anymore responses.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 03:17 PM   #4

Larry,

You did not say what model it is. The model would help when trying to put a value on it.

Just a guess...$40 to $45K if it is in really good condition.

Maybe more or less depending on condition, options, etc.

I would have a mechanic check out the chassis, engine, and transmission. I would suggest that you be cautious of an uprated engine, especially if it is an after market kit, (i.e. Banks), as these may or may not create issues with reliability and performance issues, (i.e. over heating).

I would also consider doing a complete PDI (or if you are not familiar with RV equipment [like water heaters, air conditioners, refrigerators, etc.] consider having a certified RV technician do a complete PDI of the unit).

I doubt this helps but if you can provide some more info perhaps better answers will follow.

Good luck with your decision sir.

Ed

2003 KSDP
Ed-Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 09:01 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks 007.

Ed, its a 38' 1994 Newmar Kountry Star Diesel Pusher and I guess the model you refer to is the code CBSA(DP). I was lookin' at it again today (a bright sunny but very cold and super windy day) and noticed a few more little things...for example there's some fake chrome tape gust above the front grille that is peeling in spots. That kind of stuff doesn't bother me much. It did start up instantly even though it was about 25 deg out, and I didn't see any oil drips. The small consignment outfit, Evergreen RV in Gonic, NH, is taking it to a local truck shop for a chassis inspection and will have them repair whatever significant is wrong. For instance I noticed a rear shock was bad, owner says he will have shop replace both rears. Owner says his deal with sellers is that owner has rigs checked by his shop and seller has to agree to have any serious items found fixed or owner won't sell the rig. Of course owner could be full of BS but I haven't found anything bad about him online (BBB, etc).

I talked to seller about engine. Says took it to a Cummins factory shop who upgraded it by changing software (makes me feel old). Also had a change made to the Allison 6 speed's torque converter to better work with the new HP.

Is PDI Pre Delivery Inspection? Owner is having things like LP regulators tested and water system air pressure tested. I am very electrically/mechanically adept (pardon my immodesty), years ago was a mechanic for a living, and have done repairs on friend's RV parts (genny's, brakes, lighting, heater motors, etc). That said, I'm not a professional RV mechanic. But I'm betting that I can keep the "house" equipment working OK. Things like the electronics in the Cummins and Allison are unknowns to me, as is the auto leveling jack system. Hopefully they will at least be trouble free until I can learn about them.

Thanks,
Larry
Old 01-21-2007, 08:12 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry3570:
Thanks 007.

Ed, its a 38' 1994 Newmar Kountry Star Diesel Pusher and I guess the model you refer to is the code CBSA(DP). I was lookin' at it again today (a bright sunny but very cold and super windy day) and noticed a few more little things...for example there's some fake chrome tape gust above the front grille that is peeling in spots. That kind of stuff doesn't bother me much. It did start up instantly even though it was about 25 deg out, and I didn't see any oil drips. The small consignment outfit, Evergreen RV in Gonic, NH, is taking it to a local truck shop for a chassis inspection and will have them repair whatever significant is wrong. For instance I noticed a rear shock was bad, owner says he will have shop replace both rears. Owner says his deal with sellers is that owner has rigs checked by his shop and seller has to agree to have any serious items found fixed or owner won't sell the rig. Of course owner could be full of BS but I haven't found anything bad about him online (BBB, etc).

I talked to seller about engine. Says took it to a Cummins factory shop who upgraded it by changing software (makes me feel old). Also had a change made to the Allison 6 speed's torque converter to better work with the new HP.

Is PDI Pre Delivery Inspection? Owner is having things like LP regulators tested and water system air pressure tested. I am very electrically/mechanically adept (pardon my immodesty), years ago was a mechanic for a living, and have done repairs on friend's RV parts (genny's, brakes, lighting, heater motors, etc). That said, I'm not a professional RV mechanic. But I'm betting that I can keep the "house" equipment working OK. Things like the electronics in the Cummins and Allison are unknowns to me, as is the auto leveling jack system. Hopefully they will at least be trouble free until I can learn about them.

Thanks,
Larry </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Larry,

The model would be Kountry Star with a number after it. (i.e. my 2003 Kountry Star is a 3353). The first two numbers are the length designation and the second two, I believe, are body configuration.

Regarding the engine uprate...if it was done by Cummins as a software change then you should have no worries.

The PDI is exactly what you stated. There are some lists floating around that you can use as a check list. Basically you are checking everything in the coach to make sure it works, doesn't leak, closes or opens, goes up or down, etc..

It sounds like you have done homework on the dealer and are off to a good start to insure the purchase will be a smooth and pleasant experience.

Checking maintanence records, if available, might also be a good indication of the care the coach received from the current owner.

Ed

2003 KSDP
Old 01-21-2007, 08:21 AM   #7

Larry,

I stand corrected. The CBSA is the correct designation for your year coach. (Opened mouth before checking! ).

The value for that coach is between $44k and $54k. So the seller is in line with the price, but only if it is in exceptional condition for that year.

I would do a search (google, RVSearch.com, PPL motorhomes, etc) and see if you can establish a generic price point for your year and model. This might help you determine if the value of the vehicle is at their price point or is lower or higher.

Good luck,
Ed

2003 KSDP
Old 01-21-2007, 03:52 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Larry you can find a PDI check list and much more info in the NEW RIG SHOW-OFF Forum up top of irv2 forums.
The coach# is in one of the cabinets will have coach build number may be in the 60000 or 70000 range. This number can help you find info from Newmar.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:57 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ed,

Thanks,I'll keep an eye out for the build number.

Ed and 007,

So anyway, we went back to the dealer on Saturday and ended up putting a deposit on it. Now the guy from the small consignment outfit, Evergreen RV in Gonic, NH, is taking it to a local truck shop for a chassis inspection and will have them repair whatever significant is wrong. After that the Evergreen guy will test all the house systems and later demo them to me. So in a week or two I hope to have the KS at home.

I have had several folks say that the price is too high. Perhaps so, but I got a price report from rvs-r-us (see below) that makes me think I'm in the ballpark, and I think I've learned from a lot of looking that there aren't a lot of good "loaded" mid '90's DP's for sale in the New England area for some reason, and I'm not comfortable flying to PPL in TX (or someplace else) to do a 2 day evaluate/buy and drive home. Local means I can spend some time looking at the rig with my family and make sure everyone's happy. And it means I can drive to the dealer and make a fuss if there are issues. Hope that makes sense.

Larry

From RVS-R-US for $14.00:

This quotation of value is for a : 1994 Newmar Kountry Star 38CBSA, 38' Diesel Pusher on a Spartan chassis with 300 horsepower, a slideout and 45,000 miles on it. Average mileage for this model year is between 70-75,000 miles. The lower miles on this coach may mean a value above average.

Model New Value Used Whls. Used Retail
NADA
Orange
Book : 38 CBSA SPTN $158,950.00 $41,930.00 $54,050.00

KELLEY
Blue
Book : 38' SO $158,950.00 $39,700.00 $52,860.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Average Values : $40,815.00 $53,455.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Average Unit Value : $47,135.00

Please Note: Always check local resources to see what the market is like in your area. All RV Value Reports use national information. Regional factors like supply and demand can affect local potential values. Always deduct for necessary repairs.

All values are for well equipped units in resale condition. All systems and appliances are in working order and the rig is ready to camp. Adjustments should be made for any "extras" or any deficiencies (i.e.- no a/c, no awning). Popular value for adjustments is 1/3 to 1/2 what the item cost new whether it is an add-on or a deduct depending on age.

It is important to note that the true value of any RV is what the owner is willing to sell it for and what the buyer is willing to pay. This report is based on the most up to date versions of the NADA Recreational Vehicle Appraisal Guide and also the Kelley Blue Book Official RV Guide(s). All information is assumed to be reliable and these two guides are the backbone of RV Dealer and lender evaluations from coast to coast.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:11 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Larry something not covered but you maybe ok, check the Mfg date on the tires, tires are good for 5-6 years from date of mfg.
Congrats can give you some KARMA when your ready.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:44 AM   #11

Larry,

I completely understand your issue with traveling a considerable distance to shop. I had looked all over (vicariously by virtue of the internet) and ended up buying a used unit at a dealer within 3 hours of home. I was just more comfortable with the purchase for the same reasons you stated.

Regarding the price. Obviously I have not looked at the coach but from your description it sounds like it is in decent condition. I don't think you are getting a steal but I don't think you are getting taken either. In other words, you are getting a decent deal. Therefore, it really comes down to your decision as to being comfortable with the price for what you are buying. If you and your wife are happy with the price then go for it. Life is too short to sweat over a couple of thousand bucks just because you have to get the steal of the century. I know once you get out in the coach and start enjoying it there will be no second guessing your decision.

007 made a very valid point that I forgot about regarding the tires. The MH tires should probably be replaced if they are more then five years old, no matter how many miles are on them. You can check age by using the DOT stamp information on the side wall.

Good luck on your purchase. It sounds like you will be enjoying the open road soon in a very nice coach!

Ed

2003 KSDP
Old 01-23-2007, 03:26 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
its late but for what its worth i didn't know you could bump the 94 cummins up...i know my 98 could be bumped from 300 to 325 but..not recommended as my tranny does not like the higher torgue...so you might want to check if the new torgue numbers will still be ok with tranny...guess i missed that unit at evergreen..i always looked at the allegro
clubmed98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:41 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
The owner says the upgrade was done by Cummins, who also did a mod to the Allison torque converter to prevent just what you describe. T
Thanks for pointing that out.
Larry