RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2019, 03:21 PM   #1

Pocket Door off Rails

The door between my bathroom and the living room came off the track. It appears to have come off on the rear track. I do not see a way to get access to put it back on.

Any suggestions or prior experience in this area?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0532.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	242.9 KB
ID:	263900Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0531.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	319.3 KB
ID:	263901

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2019, 03:35 PM   #2
doc

Appalachian Campers
Guy who did the walk through with us at the dealership, Buddy Gregg in Knoxville, said it was about $100 to put back in place. I didn't ask how it was done - wish I had now.

doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:42 PM   #3

I'm sure it varies by manufacturer.
But it so happens I recently installed a "johnson hardware" pocket door in my house and still have the instructions. If installed according to what they state then if you stand in the open doorway and look straight up you should see some screws holding the trim on one side or the other of the door. There may be others but they should be covered or hidden. You want the obvious and easy to spot ones. If you remove them then that trim piece comes off. Then you can shut the door and have access to the rollers.

It may be a totally different brand and design but I'm pretty sure you would still take the same basic approach. I don't think you'd get it back on without removing something to be able to see what you are doing.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:32 PM   #4

It looks like you have the same rail system as my Beaver Coach. Mine comes down every so often also. The white "tab" you see in the bottom picture is the lock. The dangle piece that locks onto the door is kind of like a nail head. The nail head slides into the metal piece on top of the door, then the white piece rotates around to hold them together.

My rig has a piece of Cherry wood trim that was nailed up to cover the rail. By taking that piece off I can turn the white plastic lock. The trick for me is holding that heavy door up and sliding the traveling nail head into the piece on the door.

My best solution has been to use a long screwdriver and fulcrum under the door that I can step on and lift or lower the door with my foot, while I use a screwdriver in one hand to slip the nail back in. Then use the screwdriver to turn the white plastic lock around.

A few other points. The plastic piece has to be in the right place before you put the nail in. Understand the white plastic piece before you bother putting the nail in the slot. A head mounted light helps a lot. The nail piece is often way back in the door slot, an unfolded coat hanger can fish it out. (I carry that hanger in the closet bent to just the right angles.) It may help to take the other nail out and take the door completely out once just to see what everything looks like. Sliding 2 nails back into the slot and turning the white plastic piece is not much more work than just one. Once you "see" everything, it makes more sense on how to reassemble.

It takes me about 5 minutes now to do mine.
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:47 AM   #5

I attached the information I received from Newmar on the pocket door mechanism. I needed to remove the door to repair the bottom track. Once you understand the mechanism, the pocket door is easy to remove and install.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RV Pocket Door Repair.pdf (133.0 KB, 7 views)
ftharrisiii is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door