Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2017, 06:27 PM   #1

Poor quality def light

Poor quality def light and check engine light came on today . From what I have read online it recommends I siphon the existing def fluid out of the tank and replace with new def fluid and to be sure it’s not old fluid. Has anyone done this and it fix the problem ? Also said it may take several engine runs of 20 miles or more and to get engine to full temperature and then cycle key off and and do another run later or next day ?

Any input or experience to this would be appreciated.
17 F150 Platinum 4x4
Jgmabry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2017, 06:38 PM   #2

I don't have experience with that problem. I didn't even know that there is a "poor def" light. Had you just added def? Was it box, or bulk?
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 06:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavingABlast View Post
I don't have experience with that problem. I didn't even know that there is a "poor def" light. Had you just added def? Was it box, or bulk?
Last time I filled it was a couple months ago and put in (2) 2.5 gallons boxes in of blue def. Didn’t know to check the date on the boxes but will in the future.
17 F150 Platinum 4x4
Old 10-29-2017, 08:14 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You may get your answers in these two forums faster. 1 --- 2
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 04:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";3875782]You may get your answers in these two forums faster. [B][URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f26
1[/URL][/B] --- 2
Thanks 007,
Not much in there for this in either link. Hopefully will get input from others that have had this issue or similar one .
17 F150 Platinum 4x4
Old 10-30-2017, 06:17 AM   #6

My only previous experience with DEF and a diesel engine was on our 2012 F350 PU when we were full timing in our fiver. I put just over 40,000 miles on her going all over the U.S. and always bought my DEF at Walmart. I do recall something about not storing an open container for an extended period of time because it could go bad but I never paid any attention to dates on what I was buying.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:58 AM   #7

I would suggest you call Freightliner and they will have you go thru a series of test from your light bar and then they can tell exactly what's happening. I had engine light come on and they said there wasn't enough DEF being circulated when going thru exhaust stroke, good luck
Old 10-30-2017, 09:37 AM   #8

I assume you mean the "malfunction" light came on. This is the one that relates to the DEF.
My light comes on every time I start, but usually goes off after a minute or two. Once it stayed on all day and then disappeared the next time I started. It is usually just a sensor problem. You may need to go to Freightliner to get a scan and a replacement sensor if needed.

BTW. DEF is good for up to 2 years so those jugs should be fine. Just make sure the seals are good when you open them as some have been returned to Walmart with just plain water in them.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
I assume you mean the "malfunction" light came on. This is the one that relates to the DEF.
My light comes on every time I start, but usually goes off after a minute or two. Once it stayed on all day and then disappeared the next time I started. It is usually just a sensor problem. You may need to go to Freightliner to get a scan and a replacement sensor if needed.

BTW. DEF is good for up to 2 years so those jugs should be fine. Just make sure the seals are good when you open them as some have been returned to Walmart with just plain water in them.
Thanks John.

The check engine light came on in yellow and the def symbol also came on in yellow but inside the digital display in the dash is where it says ( poor quality def fluid )

I live in south Florida and the DEF fluid was stored in the garage for possibly 6 months of more and subject to heat and everything I have read says the heat could reduce the shelf life as far down to 6 months.

Going to remove the old fluid and install new and hope that takes care of it. I was hoping someone else may have had this happen and would let me know what they did to fix without taking it to the dealer for something that may be an easy fix.

Thanks all for your replies.
17 F150 Platinum 4x4
Old 10-30-2017, 11:31 AM   #10

I will be in Fort Myers from December until March so my DEF will also be a little warm. Don't forget, if you don't travel much the DEF in the tank is also getting hot and will deteriorate. Maybe it is a good idea to keep the fluid level low and top-up frequently so the DEF doesn't sit there for a long time. Let us know if draining and refilling fixes the problem.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:07 PM   #11

John, you wouldn't think the DEF sitting in an RV for 3 or 4 months while camped down here in the winter would allow it to deteriorate. Dealer will deliver mine topped off around the middle of November and we will stay camped until around May before heading out.

I would think if it goes bad that fast there would be tons of RVers having issues if they stay stationary for any period of time. I guess I'll find out.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 03:19 PM   #12

The only issue is, how old is the DEF before you start the 3-4 months. I agree that if it is fresh there is hardly going to be an issue, but I keep mine topped up so I have probably just been diluting DEF that has been in there for 3 years now. So thinking that through, I will probably let it run low to get as much of the old DEF out before adding new.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:15 PM   #13

Drained the def fluid tonight when I got home and replaced with new. The poor quality def fluid message went off but the check engine light remained on. I let engine warm up to operating temp and shut it off. Waited a few minutes and started engine again and the check engine light remained on. I will do this again tomorrow for a couple more times to see if the engine light will eventually cycle off once the code becomes inactive.

I got the old def from work and it was probably old when I got it and it sat in my garage for probably 6 months before I used it. No telling how old it actually was. Lesson learned.
17 F150 Platinum 4x4
Old 10-30-2017, 09:36 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Interesting... Thanks for sharing.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, quality