Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2008, 10:18 AM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Just about ready to blast off for Myrtle Beach tomorrow AM when what do I see, Serious cracked windshield. Starting just behind drivers outside mirror and going up like tree branches all the way to trhe top. Very obvious there is a bulge in the rubber gasket where the crack starts on bottom drivers corner. Full body paint now has white outline where you can see glass has shifted over a 1/2" or more. I just called insurance company and repairs are in the works. primary question: Is this safe to drive as it is? The 2002 Mountain Aire with two piece windshield is still sitting in the drive way up on jacks. Has not moved in two weeks. I'm thinking about still leaving and trying to get repairs done while we are at at Ocean Lakes. Any thoughts / advise?????

Need to make decision like REAL SOON!
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2008, 10:18 AM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Just about ready to blast off for Myrtle Beach tomorrow AM when what do I see, Serious cracked windshield. Starting just behind drivers outside mirror and going up like tree branches all the way to trhe top. Very obvious there is a bulge in the rubber gasket where the crack starts on bottom drivers corner. Full body paint now has white outline where you can see glass has shifted over a 1/2" or more. I just called insurance company and repairs are in the works. primary question: Is this safe to drive as it is? The 2002 Mountain Aire with two piece windshield is still sitting in the drive way up on jacks. Has not moved in two weeks. I'm thinking about still leaving and trying to get repairs done while we are at at Ocean Lakes. Any thoughts / advise?????

Need to make decision like REAL SOON!
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:12 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If the crack does not move up any further after taking up jacks and you have no cracks in your line of vision I would go just DUCK tape the windshield around the area that you have the bulge.
If you jack coach corner to corner instead of lifting jacks in pairs front and back same side, chassis rail twist will pop windshield.
I did it by turning out of a gas station rode drivers side tire over a hilly burm making a u-turn. Can't do that twists front of chassis.
Glass companys have come to CG's for some of my friends they did good job replacing WS's.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 03:33 PM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks oo7, We're leaving in the AM. I'll bring goggeles just in case we need to drive without a windshied!
I hope the install goes as easy the response I'm getting from insurance and glass company. Windshield is already ordered, installation is scheduled to take place at Ocean Lakes. They also said they will be "resetting the passenger side just in case. There is a visible 1/2" +_ unpainted area around both bottom corners where the paint and rubber used to meet. Wish me luck. I will post the outcome of the install with either a tuumbs up or thumbs down on the job.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:34 PM   #5

Hey bdBall I would give it a 'Go'

Get it fixed as as soon as possible!!!

The 'Duct Tape' should hold!!! It "Will" Help!!!

Have 'Fun'
Rick
Old 05-02-2008, 05:13 PM   #6

Pair of goggles and a roll of real duct tape, you should be good to go.

One tip, the *brand* called "DUCK tape" tends to be rather flimsy, get real duct tape sold under numerous other brands, the difference is significant. Note DUCK vs duct. Tape up the 'shieled real well and hit the road.
Old 05-03-2008, 02:27 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
bdaball,

Hi Bill,

Sorry 'bout the windshield. I agree with the others comments. I had a similiar issue with jacking up my rig recently, but no glass damage. I must have jacked it up unevenly on sloaping terrain.

We'll pass on the highways, I'm en route to Maine now.

Best of luck, Let us know how it goes----

Here was my problem, looks like the windshield doesn't fit on the top part properly: http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9486094452/m/...10137441#94910137441