Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2018, 05:15 PM   #1

Portable freezer/fridge

Just wondering if it’s worth it to purchase a portable fridge /freezer for our Dutch Star. If you have one how much do you use it. Do you use it more as a fridge or freezer.
Redwing 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2018, 05:26 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Don’t even think about not getting this! It’s extremely useful. If you’re leaving home on a trip and your freezer is full, you can stuff the coach one and set it on freeze. When not using it like this, it’s a terrific beverage cooler, eliminating the necessity of climbing in the coach to get a pop, soda, beer. Plus, if you ever have a fridge malfunction in the coach (it happens) you have backup. Best option on my DS IMHO. -Ron
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:30 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVRon View Post
Don’t even think about not getting this! It’s extremely useful. If you’re leaving home on a trip and your freezer is full, you can stuff the coach one and set it on freeze. When not using it like this, it’s a terrific beverage cooler, eliminating the necessity of climbing in the coach to get a pop, soda, beer. Plus, if you ever have a fridge malfunction in the coach (it happens) you have backup. Best option on my DS IMHO. -Ron
That 100% covers my thought's on the OP's question........they are priceless.....
Old 04-26-2018, 05:37 PM   #4

I had always thought, "No way! Power draining Mickey Mouse cooler."

Wow, was I wrong! It is fantastic. I use it as a freezer when travelling and a cooler when the grandkids are there.

It hardly draws any power yet keeps the freezer or cooler perfectly right. Mine runs at about 6 F. in freezer mode and I set about 35 F. in cooler mode.

Not cheap, but worth every penny.

Peter
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:55 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwing2 View Post
Just wondering if it’s worth it to purchase a portable fridge /freezer for our Dutch Star. If you have one how much do you use it. Do you use it more as a fridge or freezer.

One of the most useful items we have. Used all the time mainly as a fridge. The PO used it to bring back fish frozen from his trips.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:13 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Glad to here all your positive responses. I ordered one in my 4369 I pick up in July.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:09 PM   #7

I had my dealer take ours out. Perfect storage space for folder bikes and associated biking gear
Mark71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:35 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Back when I had money and this 13 year old RV was 13 days old or there about. I ordered an ENGEL fridge or freezer (you choose which you need by how far you twist the knob) This is a "high effiency compressor" type runs on 12 or 120 volts 36 Watts. a great whomping 3 amps.. Still freezing as I type.

It's a chest type like a Ice chest.. and the size is rated in 12 oz cans so I can't tell you the cubic footage.. But I' very happy with it.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:50 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwing2 View Post

Use ours all of the time, was high on the DW’s list of must haves.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark71 View Post
I had my dealer take ours out. Perfect storage space for folder bikes and associated biking gear
I own a Ventana and my buddy owns a Dutch Star. He loves having his. We don't have one. I'm not sure why I would need it. We have a huge residential fridge and freezer and there is mostly only two of us and our fridge is more than adequate. It seems that we are mostly sightseeing when we are parked somewhere or in side at night. I definitely would miss the storage space. I'll watch and learn from this post.
snowhawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 12:15 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
It’s nice when your sitting outside and want a drink, I have also pulled it out with the lid shut and used it as a serving table
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 03:40 PM   #12

So far we have ours turned off and are storing cleaning supplies in it. I can see if you away from a decent sized city for a significant amount of time, you might want to load up, but other than that we have plenty of room in our refrigerator.

Tags
fridge