Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2017, 08:18 AM   #15

Yes a backup generator ! You never know when the built in generator will not start/run/generate. At least will have electricity to run the microwave/coffee pot /charge batteries. Will not run your roof a/c but good to have electric.
Zapper58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2017, 08:35 AM   #16

Zapper58, my thoughts exactly. I'm no fun to be around without my morning coffee. The big deal for me is keeping the house bank charged so I can play on the computer and watch the idiot box.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:39 AM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
The poster stated battery voltage in the 12.4 volt range, seems to indicate that running the generator they were not charging.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 09:01 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcq View Post
The poster stated battery voltage in the 12.4 volt range, seems to indicate that running the generator they were not charging.
No, that is NOT what I stated at all. Over a few posts, the following was provided: direct sunlight, the solar charges the house bank between 13.7 - 14.4 volts. Depending what I have running via the inverter, the house bank depletes to the 12.6 - 12.8 volt range as the sun goes down. After watching TV and or playing on the computer in the evening, in a few hours, the battery bank is in the 12.2 - 12.4 range due to the electrical draw. The generator has NOT been running. This result is using the solar panels only.
Hope this clarifies.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:06 AM   #19

Reading between 12.2 & 12.4 volts, while under load, may not be a low battery reading.

As a test, you would need to remove all of the load on the battery and read the resting voltage.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 10:14 AM   #20

No wonder I stay so confused.....
Just WHAT DOES run an RV roof top A/C??? Mine are defunct so I am going portable and still can't get a straight answer for what it will take to run one.
I cannot leave 3 cats in a giant tin can when out exploring at the very least.
6x16inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 10:54 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6x16inside View Post
No wonder I stay so confused.....
Just WHAT DOES run an RV roof top A/C??? Mine are defunct so I am going portable and still can't get a straight answer for what it will take to run one.
I cannot leave 3 cats in a giant tin can when out exploring at the very least.
Not sure what portable A/C you are going to buy but there should be very specific details about energy consumption. The smaller portable units, enough to cool a 350 SQ FT room would require around 1500 watts, about the same as a hair dryer on maximum heat. A 2000 Honda inverter style "might" be enough to start the A/C but to be safe, think in terms of a 2500 to 3000 assuming the A/C is the ONLY item drawing power from the generator. If you are going to "error", error on having too much VS too little generator capacity.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:03 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
I use the Champion 3500. I have the one w/o the remote. Runs one ac, frig and tv’s all night on about 1.6 gal of gas. Large Oman uses much more than that. The one with the remote you can start and stop from inside the coach. I really like this gen. Also runs on propane.
Jkoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 12:45 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzyfit View Post
Not sure what portable A/C you are going to buy but there should be very specific details about energy consumption. The smaller portable units, enough to cool a 350 SQ FT room would require around 1500 watts, about the same as a hair dryer on maximum heat. A 2000 Honda inverter style "might" be enough to start the A/C but to be safe, think in terms of a 2500 to 3000 assuming the A/C is the ONLY item drawing power from the generator. If you are going to "error", error on having too much VS too little generator capacity.
If interested in why I asked, my thread entitles "I got a great deal on a Generac generator today" would be why. Apparently, everything NOT Onan is not satisfactory in terms of noise at a campground, overheating issues, safety issues concerning having one installed and/or running going down the road, etc.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:16 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6x16inside View Post
If interested in why I asked, my thread entitles "I got a great deal on a Generac generator today" would be why. Apparently, everything NOT Onan is not satisfactory in terms of noise at a campground, overheating issues, safety issues concerning having one installed and/or running going down the road, etc.
Over the years I've had Onan's, Power Genny, Generac, and a gasoline-powered Yamaha. If noise is a factor, DON'T buy a Power Genny! It's a one cylinder Kubota diesel engine. you could hear that thing over the noise level of the twin Volvo TMD40 main engines on the boat. The diesel Generac 75D in my motorhome has 5,000 hours on it, with the exception of a voltage regulator ($120 part) it has worked perfectly throughout its 15 years. Onan has been owned by Cummins since the early 1990's. As with the Cummins diesel engines, neither are inexpensive when it comes to repairs. I suspect the Generac 75D would be expensive if a complete overhaul was required as well. Rather than have the gas Generac installed IN your RV have you considered placing it on a tray that attaches to the trailer hitch of your R/V? I've seen a number of 5th wheel trailers with their portable generator(s) on a tray with a vented aluminum box covering them. It would give you the necessary airflow and the exhaust would be already outside of an enclosed area of your R/V. Perhaps something to think about.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:36 AM   #25

Quote:
THANKS Scott for the Harbor Freight generator link. There is a HF located here in Okeechobee. I'll stop by and have a look/see.
No problem, glad to help. If we didn't already own two Honda 2000's I would have bought the HF2000, but I can't afford the HF2000 now along with the marriage counseling that would be required if I brought home ANOTHER generator!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:42 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
No problem, glad to help. If we didn't already own two Honda 2000's I would have bought the HF2000, but I can't afford the HF2000 now along with the marriage counseling that would be required if I brought home ANOTHER generator!
That's FUNNY! Of course, don't EVER say anything about the 2nd or 3rd new vacuum cleaner purchased over the past year or so or the new 6 pairs of shoes to go along with the 35 pairs already taking up space in the walk-in closet.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:10 AM   #27

Quote:
Over the years I've had Onan's, Power Genny, Generac, and a gasoline-powered Yamaha. If noise is a factor, DON'T buy a Power Genny! It's a one cylinder Kubota diesel engine. you could hear that thing over the noise level of the twin Volvo TMD40 main engines on the boat. The diesel Generac 75D in my motorhome has 5,000 hours on it, with the exception of a voltage regulator ($120 part) it has worked perfectly throughout its 15 years. Onan has been owned by Cummins since the early 1990's. As with the Cummins diesel engines, neither are inexpensive when it comes to repairs. I suspect the Generac 75D would be expensive if a complete overhaul was required as well. Rather than have the gas Generac installed IN your RV have you considered placing it on a tray that attaches to the trailer hitch of your R/V? I've seen a number of 5th wheel trailers with their portable generator(s) on a tray with a vented aluminum box covering them. It would give you the necessary airflow and the exhaust would be already outside of an enclosed area of your R/V. Perhaps something to think about.
As per my signature......I own a 37 foot class A therefore no trailer hitch, not a 5th wheel, etc. Sorry if this comes across as rude.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:12 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
May I ask? Where and when do you run your two Honda's? In or on your RV somewhere, somehow I presume?
Thank you.

Tags
gas, generator