Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2017, 07:20 AM   #1

Portable Satellite Dish

Good Morning Everyone,

We are considering Satellite TV again and am leaning towards a portable system as opposed to the fixed Traveler Systems. Could you recommend which Portable System has worked well for you and thank you in advance!

Jeff and Lynn

Jeff426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2017, 07:28 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff426 View Post
Good Morning Everyone,

We are considering Satellite TV again and am leaning towards a portable system as opposed to the fixed Traveler Systems. Could you recommend which Portable System has worked well for you and thank you in advance!

Jeff and Lynn
Depends on service (Dish or Direct). I have Dish and am happy with a Winegard Pathway X2 and a Dish Wally receiver. Max cable length is about 50' which allows placement on most treed sites.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:34 AM   #3

I have Direct tv and use the older King Flex satellite antenna. Now King has the King Quest. These antennas are fully automatic and easy to setup as long as there are no obstructions in the line of sight to the satellite. I just set it on the ground and turn on the controller that automatically locate the satellites. It takes about 5 minutes. These satellite antennas also takes up less room in a storage compartment than a full sized satellite dish and tripod.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:22 AM   #4

I have a Winegard Carryout that I use about once a year. I only gets SD channels but once a year I can put up with it.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:06 AM   #5

Jeff if you go with DISH as your provider one of the Winegard small automatic domes works well. Even though I have the Travle'r on my 2017DS I kept the small dome from my Airstream. Using it this week while I am in the building at HWH having Active Air installed.

DISH will give you HD channels. DirecTV is SD only.
ghaynes754 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:12 AM   #6
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have Dishnet. We take our home receiver with us when we travel and I use a antenna and tripod.

I normally don't set up the system if its just an overnight stop. It takes about 15 minutes to set up and aim. I did a short article on how to set it up, aim, and changing "Service Location" with Dishnet.

Using our home Dishnet VIP222 receiver while on the road – 1999 Southwind 35S

Old 08-16-2017, 09:45 AM   #7

Carolina Campers
I have the KING VQ4550 Tailgater for dish Tv. I have had it for three years and have great reception on all hd channels. With dish you pay as you go so you can get one month at a time with no connection fees or cancellation fees. With the 50' of cable you can move it away from trees and not have any problem worrying about where to park.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:50 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
X2 on the Tailgater. I have an one LNB crankup ant on the MH and a Slimline and tri-pod in the basement. But I use the tailgater most often. Quick, auto search, and a small package.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
We have Dishnet. We take our home receiver with us when we travel and I use a antenna and tripod.

I normally don't set up the system if its just an overnight stop. It takes about 15 minutes to set up and aim. I did a short article on how to set it up, aim, and changing "Service Location" with Dishnet.

Using our home Dishnet VIP222 receiver while on the road 1999 Southwind 35S

Can you use the new dish wally receiver for your home AND then take it with you in the RV when you go on the road using the winegard fixed sat system on the roof?

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:02 AM   #10

Wineguard Pathway X2 w/Dish 211k receiver. It will work with up to 100' of RG6 cable even though the book says 50'.

Don't take out home receiver with us as it's still recording out favorite shows while continuously hooked up at home.

It's only $7 a month tacked on to our home bill.

Added a small external hard drive and now it will record.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:06 AM   #11
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Can you use the new dish wally receiver for your home AND then take it with you in the RV when you go on the road using the winegard fixed sat system on the roof?
I have no idea???

The receiver we have is a two receiver unit (two receivers in one) so we can watch two different channels on two different TVs. The dish antenna on my tripod is exactly the same one that mounted on the side of our antenna tower at home, a 1000.2, three LNB antenna.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
I have no idea???

The receiver we have is a two receiver unit (two receivers in one) so we can watch two different channels on two different TVs. The dish antenna on my tripod is exactly the same one that mounted on the side of our antenna tower at home, a 1000.2, three LNB antenna.
Which receiver model is that one?

I do not record other shows and do not need a DVR. My practical question was it makes little sense to me to pay for a home service if you are in the RV for 7 months and can use the same receiver.

The new wally receiver has the clicker that can go through walls, cabinets etc which is great I only watch one TV at a time so it is ok if the wally is connected to the front TV and then via splitter it is on the same channel when I turn on the bedroom TV. That is the good part of the new clicker, I think I can change the channel on the wally when I am in the bedroom. But I am not sure?

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:30 AM   #13
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Which receiver model is that one?
Its a Dishnet VIP 222... It has two remote controls, one for each sat receiver. The main sat receiver has an IR remote (needs to be in view of the receiver). The second receiver uses a UHF remote, so the TV can be in another room. The remote has some very good range, a couple hundred feet.

We have the sat receiver in the front room so the IR remote can see it. the other remote we use in the back of the MH for that TV.

The Sat receiver also has a built in modulators for each of the two receivers, so these are easy to couple in to the regular antenna feed with a splitter/combiner. I seem to remember we put Rx#1 on channel 55 and #2 on channel 60 (over the air channel assignments)

Look at the article:

Using our home Dishnet VIP222 receiver while on the road – 1999 Southwind 35S

IMPORTANT - If the two channels you are trying to watch are not on the same satellite, I'm not sure how the VIP222 would reconcile this if it was tied to a single LNB dish... I believe most of the small portable self aiming antennas are single LNBs and can only see one satellite at a time. (Don't quote me on this, as I'm not sure)
Old 08-16-2017, 11:00 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrol 65 View Post
I have Direct tv and use the older King Flex satellite antenna. Now King has the King Quest. These antennas are fully automatic and easy to setup as long as there are no obstructions in the line of sight to the satellite. I just set it on the ground and turn on the controller that automatically locate the satellites. It takes about 5 minutes. These satellite antennas also takes up less room in a storage compartment than a full sized satellite dish and tripod.
X2 for the Flex....it'll support 2 receivers, will work with 100' of cable, is Direct, Dish, and Bell compatible......and if you can tell the difference between std def and hd, you need to upgrade your tv's.....using Satfinder Pro, easy peasy...I have 2 receivers that stay with trailer, and never disconnect service, as they're only $7 each per month...

Tags
dish, satellite