Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2019, 07:43 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
We use the blue camco in line filter prior to our water softener. Personally we don’t understand why anyone would risk fouling their resin with unfiltered always questionable RV park water. In addition we don’t understand why anyone would not use a water softener ahead of their rv’s water heater except for cost and convenience. We use the extra capacity on the go tank and love the wide opening to add salt. Having an old style top load full size washing machine and showers every day we easily get 2 weeks out of the Yuma, Az water before the recharge. Tank sits outside by the water tap wrapped in solar bubble wrap with a 5gal pail inverted over the top. Still going strong after 7 years and no brittleness of the top plastic components exposed to the intense Az sun winters/summers. We agree it’s a basic need for all rv’s to protect your investment and lifestyle.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2019, 07:46 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert66 View Post
We use the blue camco in line filter prior to our water softener. Personally we don’t understand why anyone would risk fouling their resin with unfiltered always questionable RV park water. In addition we don’t understand why anyone would not use a water softener ahead of their rv’s water heater except for cost and convenience. We use the extra capacity on the go tank and love the wide opening to add salt. Having an old style top load full size washing machine and showers every day we easily get 2 weeks out of the Yuma, Az water before the recharge. Tank sits outside by the water tap wrapped in solar bubble wrap with a 5gal pail inverted over the top. Still going strong after 7 years and no brittleness of the top plastic components exposed to the intense Az sun winters/summers. We agree it’s a basic need for all rv’s to protect your investment and lifestyle.
The water filter question has come up twice now (one via PM) so I may add that to mine, sounds like a good idea. Thanks
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:01 AM   #31

We purchased and have been using the On The Go softener since the beginning of the summer. We have the double/large model that takes 2 boxes of salt to regen. It seems like we can get anywhere from 3 weeks to close to a month before it has to be done.

If keeping it portable I agree you should have a filtering device and your water regulator in line prior to the softener.

I'm still trying to find time to make a stand for mounting a 10" water filter housing on one side and sitting the softener on the other side.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:06 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
For the newbies on water softeners like me, here is the regen process (video):

NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:06 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Interested, so when you do the regen what is involved?
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:12 AM   #34

So that is what I have been a seeing in the campgrounds
Old 07-23-2019, 08:17 AM   #35

What about using for spot free washing the bus also?
Old 07-23-2019, 08:29 AM   #36

I have both the small and the large on-the-go, and love them both. Normally I just fill the fresh tank with soft water from the house, but I store the small on its side for emergency use over long weekends (just knock the cylinder down before I go to use). For extended trips I use the large, and I keep it as well as a particulate and a carbon filter all plumbed in a milk crate. Kind of heavy but compact. I’ll get a pic online tonight.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:04 AM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Portable Water Softener - A MUST HAVE FOR ALL

The included test strips let you to know when to regenerate then experience will help for a given location. We always test a new parks water prior to hookup. The test strips are also available on Amazon. 2 brass 90 degree hose fittings at the tank allow a pail to sit over the top. Some folks after adding the salt and some water will let the tank sit for 1/2 up to 24hrs before the stated slow flush time. Leaving the salt in the resin will not hurt anything and is what causes the resin to release the “hardness”. There is a back flush process to be done every 2-4 regens where you simply feed water through the tank backwards to loosen the resin. A fitting to allow this is included with some units including the on the go brand. The time before regen is simply a matter of water useage, max hardness preference and incoming water hardness. 3 days to 3 months is not uncommon depending on all the factors.

On a side note we don’t understand why anyone would use a clear filter bowl outside in the sun which only promotes algae growth especially in non treated well water campgrounds. Ok for use inside the bay (and adds a visual) but not outside unless completely covered to keep all sunlight out.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:22 AM   #38

Just to make sure I understand, the salt is added to regenerate the resin during the flush process? No salt is sent into the coach?

Question, the video shows them flushing the salt for quite a period of time, doesn’t the campground get upset when they see you dumping water on the ground? I know the place we stay in Florida during the winter pays their sewage bill based on water usage so they are not happy when they see water being dumped.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 09:23 AM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Portable Water Softener - A MUST HAVE FOR ALL

Other options for adding the regen salt is through an inverted whole house filter canister without the element. Our process is to remove the cap, very slowly add water while adding salt when it’s not windy outside, clean off any resin/salt on the top and cap with paper towel, and recap. A very small amount of some parks back flow preventers will not allow the “low pressure low flow” required for regen without leaking most of the water. Just a FYI plan accordingly.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:40 AM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
No salt goes into your coach. Typically the salt brine goes down the sewer hole with your provided garden hose. Because the flow of the flush is minimal so is the water usage over the 15-30 min timeframe. We have never been approached (or seen in any park rules) negatively regarding this regen process for the last 7 years. In hard water areas you will see many of these units being used and are even leased/rented in some parks from outside contractors.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:45 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
It does not act as a filter technically but probably does some by the concept of it is essentially flowing the water across a resin that softens the water. Some use a filter at the city water faucet but I don't. I have the filters in the wet bay but if you want to add an additional filter it wouldn't hurt, it's probably a good idea, but I don't need to make things more complicated. Something I'll consider as I do have those type of filters I used in the past to try and preserve my house filters a little longer with a first hit filter but I think those are carbon and not sediment filters anyway.

I'm curious what others are doing regarding filters prior to water softener tanks like this.
A zeolite bed in a water softener is a great filter and the backwash sends the filtrate to the drain

Cation resin in the Na form exchanges 2 Na for one Ca or Mg

Dont let the beds freeze
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:06 AM   #42

Can't believe we actually had something before Neal, LOL!

Bought the same model last October. Great product, very easy to use and maintain.-Paul

Tags
water