Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2019, 11:47 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Thumbs up Portable Water Softener - A MUST HAVE FOR ALL

I bought a OTG4-DBLSOFT portable water softener system this past January in prep for my planned South West 6 month'er starting soon. I'm on a several week trip prior to the big trip and figured I should bring this along and learn it before my trip west. What was I thinking???? Why have I not been using this thing? Even in my area out east where we don't technically have hard water, I always have water spots on the shower doors, etc. I hooked this thing up which is so easy, followed the instructions to let it run a few minutes initially prior to hooking it up to the RV and LOVE THIS THING. No spots and I'm ready for my travels out west but this is something I will always use.

I highly recommend one of the portable water softeners. I'm fortunate to not have a side radiator so it fits right in that left aft compartment where I also have a DI rinse tank stored for RV washing. Hard water or not I strongly recommend one of these little gems. It's worth it and there is no pain in using it in your routine travels.

https://amzn.to/2y5wjFj
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water-softener.png
Views:	92
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	254223  
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2019, 12:02 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
I just added this to our setup last week. Our water is not that great although not as bad as Arizona. One problem I was having was calcium flakes in my ice. Even after triple filtering. Water was perfectly clear until frozen then the flakes develop. Found out that is an issue with hard water. Could have solved it with an RO system but really did not want to go that far. The soft water took care of it and now have nice clean ice.
Also my entire coach benefits with the soft water in the plumbing and cleaning ability.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:04 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Do you know how long before re-charge? I have been looking into this, most people that are out west for the winter rent a residential unit from local company by the month. We would like a portable like this.
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:06 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Do you know how long before re-charge? I have been looking into this, most people that are out west for the winter rent a residential unit from local company by the month. We would like a portable like this.
It's all based on how much water that goes through it. I think this larger one will last me a month, at least. You can test the water and determine if/when regen is needed (done with salt). Still learning but am super happy to have this inline now.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:06 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I've been using one for about 5 years and even in the east where water is not that hard there are noticeable improvements in the water quality. It's also easy to regenerate.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:09 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Portable Water Softener - A MUST HAVE FOR ALL

The larger OTG unit will handle 16,000 grains, so if your water is 10 grains per gallon you should get around 1600 gallons before regeneration.
I heard Az can be above 50 so that would only 320 gallons at 50.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:29 PM   #7
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
With all these recent additions, Neal, what does the VentEssex weigh now?

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:59 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
With all these recent additions, Neal, what does the VentEssex weigh now?

TJ
52 tons, added additional tires on the tag axle, just a couple.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
I bought a OTG4-DBLSOFT portable water softener system this past January in prep for my planned South West 6 month'er starting soon. I'm on a several week trip prior to the big trip and figured I should bring this along and learn it before my trip west. What was I thinking???? Why have I not been using this thing? Even in my area out east where we don't technically have hard water, I always have water spots on the shower doors, etc. I hooked this thing up which is so easy, followed the instructions to let it run a few minutes initially prior to hooking it up to the RV and LOVE THIS THING. No spots and I'm ready for my travels out west but this is something I will always use.

I highly recommend one of the portable water softeners. I'm fortunate to not have a side radiator so it fits right in that left aft compartment where I also have a DI rinse tank stored for RV washing. Hard water or not I strongly recommend one of these little gems. It's worth it and there is no pain in using it in your routine travels.

https://amzn.to/2y5wjFj
Neal, that you have not used a water softener it’s no big deal, however what are you going to do to make it better?

Zzotte
Old 07-22-2019, 01:34 PM   #10
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
52 tons, added additional tires on the tag axle, just a couple.
Duals on the tag? How's that working? Maybe duals on the steer axle too? And, you could add a second dual-tag to really firm things up.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 02:06 PM   #11

I have used softeners for Years. On this new coach I can not store ir upright in any of the compartments. How do others with a 2019 LA EX or KA store theirs?
I want to install a permanent mounted one and again Where and what Kind???
Essex-Spensive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 02:07 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I've used this for several years now. I generally recharge every 10 days to 2 weeks, depending on the use of washer, dishwasher, etc. It works very well!
ficodek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 03:27 PM   #13
UAV

How exactly does one install it?

Is it a permanent installation or?

Very cool addition to consider for sure.
UAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 03:44 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAV View Post
How exactly does one install it?

Is it a permanent installation or?

Very cool addition to consider for sure.
Nothing to install. It's just a tank you pull out and put next to the city water post and connect the hose to the city water and your coach to the tank. That's all there is to it.

Tags
water