RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2015, 05:26 PM   #1

Poss new Newmar owner

Hi everyone,

Been reading this forum for a couple weeks now as I gain info in making my 1st motorhome purchase. I am looking to buy a 38ft 98 dutch star dp. Sorry if this post is long, I need some guidance.

i was expecting to pick it up today, financing and ins secured, and got to the dealership and was advised that I was going to be very happy with all the new things I was getting, as when they went through their inspection they found some things wrong and was putting in all brand new stuff, but that it would not be ready till next week. I specifically came into town to do this deal and they knew that. I won't be able to go back for 2 weeks. I saw it last week, during rain, and was told that they had had it a while and had to put a whole new roof on, with repairs through the inside roof, they had 20k invested in repairs. One of my questions was age of tires, and in the rain, salesman looked at them and said 13 and 14 were the years.

Today mechanic took it for a test drive before I did, and when he came back I asked him and turns out of ones we could see 2 are 03 and 2 are 04. Now because of their investment in it they wouldn't take anything off the asking price but were gonna throw in a new washer dryer combo for me. Today I was told because of all new stuff, toilet, shower hose, fridge, faucets etc they were not gonna be able to do the washer dryer.

I had a banker go in on a sat to do my personal loan. I drove 5 hours to come home and feel like I'm getting line after line of BS. I'm concerned about age of tires and will be stuck paying 5k more for new tires before I go anywhere.

I really like this coach and still want to get it, but don't know how I can negotiate some at least newer used tires from them. The price is right in line with others, but they are much further away.

Anyone got any advice?

Eilatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2015, 05:45 PM   #2

I guess it all depends on what price you have negotiated. Is it a fair price for a rig that is 15 years old? Tires and the like are obvious items that will have to be replaced. My concern would be with the engine/transmission. These can get real expensive fast.
If you are satisfied with the price and the floor plan etc, make the best deal you can, OR thank him for his time and continue your search.

Old 10-03-2015, 05:52 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
What does your contract say about the repairs they made? Is the washer/dryer in the contract or was it all verbal?
I guess I'd tell them to sell it to someone else if they don't come through. Lots of other rigs out there.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 06:10 PM   #4

If they are not willing to stick to their original offer I would walk away and keep looking. But that all depends on what kind of deal you have negotiated and if that price is worth it to you. If everything else checks out as advertised and the only hold up is the tires then you have to make that decision, is the MH worth $4-6K more to you than you negotiated for. If you got a screaming deal on it, then the tires may be worth the extra cost.
For me when they start playing games and changing the deal to their advantage I just walk away, there are too many other opportunities that will come up especially at this time of year.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 06:15 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When we were looking at our rig the price was some $60,000 under retail book and then they either gave us $20,000 more for our rig or lowered the price an add'l $20,000 so I was willing to buy new tires and batteries to get it.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 06:33 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies. I don't have a contract, everything has been verbal. Apparently previous owner neglected it and water lines broke along with pretty substantial roof leak. Im surprised they didn't do a more thorough inspection to learn none of the inside plumbing worked till the day before it was to go out, hence all the new stuff. Is it feasible to find gently used tires that will get me through a while? I'm a travel nurse and trying to get this rv to use as my housing while I'm working away from home. I can't afford too much more as I have expenses with my house too. I drove it quite a bit today and I think mechanically the engine and generator are sound.

Some things they tell me don't add up. 1st day couldn't drive it, heavy rain. Went back next day, couldn't drive it, steps wouldn't go up. Told on Tuesday steps were fixed. Well today steps wouldn't go up. Mechanic said they needed to get new steps but that it was okay to drive, which we did.

I learned that newmars are good quality coaches and love the floorplan. If it wasn't for that I'd walk away as I get conflicting info from 3 different people. Only one I feel is giving me straight up info is the mechanic. Im a single woman and they talk to me about all the pretty colors and tires have lots of tread on them. I realize its a lower priced model on their lot and they'd much rather sell one 100k plus, but I still want to buy something that's reliable.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:11 PM   #7

I don't think this rig is for you if you're looking for something reliable. On the contrary, I get the impression this is a Money Pit. Keep on looking. There are others on the market that have been looked after.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
I don't think this rig is for you if you're looking for something reliable. On the contrary, I get the impression this is a Money Pit. Keep on looking. There are others on the market that have been looked after.

X2!!
Old 10-03-2015, 07:46 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
X3. There are other used Newmar's around. Remember you're taking a loan out on this, you don't want to have to throw good money after bad.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:22 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Check out such sites as RV Trader. As the others have said,"to many fish in the sea"
RattVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:27 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eilatan View Post
Thanks for the replies. I don't have a contract, everything has been verbal. Apparently previous owner neglected it and water lines broke along with pretty substantial roof leak. Im surprised they didn't do a more thorough inspection to learn none of the inside plumbing worked till the day before it was to go out, hence all the new stuff. Is it feasible to find gently used tires that will get me through a while? I'm a travel nurse and trying to get this rv to use as my housing while I'm working away from home. I can't afford too much more as I have expenses with my house too. I drove it quite a bit today and I think mechanically the engine and generator are sound.

Some things they tell me don't add up. 1st day couldn't drive it, heavy rain. Went back next day, couldn't drive it, steps wouldn't go up. Told on Tuesday steps were fixed. Well today steps wouldn't go up. Mechanic said they needed to get new steps but that it was okay to drive, which we did.

I learned that newmars are good quality coaches and love the floorplan. If it wasn't for that I'd walk away as I get conflicting info from 3 different people. Only one I feel is giving me straight up info is the mechanic. Im a single woman and they talk to me about all the pretty colors and tires have lots of tread on them. I realize its a lower priced model on their lot and they'd much rather sell one 100k plus, but I still want to buy something that's reliable.
Are you dealing with Camping World in Clayton or is this the lot that is on 70 before Goldsboro?

We are presently at the State Fair grounds in Raleigh. We will be at the Cooper's RV campgrounds on Bus 70 in Clayton starting Tuesday. If you need help look us up. We will be glad to help.

You do not want to deal with a dealer that starts off lying.
2018 DS DP 4369 #607121 Cummins ISL9 450 HP
"We are from, where ever we were yesterday"
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:35 PM   #12

Take a step back from this one. You will be SO glad you did later on.

Look at as many as you can - when you step onto a clean, well kept unit you will know right away!!
Old 10-03-2015, 08:45 PM   #13

Ha ha ya got me VP! Didn't come here to dealer bash just vent my frustration on very different answers to my questions and get some advice. I need to go back to VA for work Tuesday, what time are you all gonna be out there? I might be able to stop by quickly.

I found a 2000 dsdp in kings mountain and a 2000 Monaco knight near Harrisonburg where I'm working right now so might swing by there to see that one later this week. I'm !looking in the 30 - 40k range. Wish I had more, but right now I don't. This would be my 1st motorhome, but have had a pop up for 15 years.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:32 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
I would definitely "walk" on the one you have been looking at. With all the problems you have described, I don't think it would serve you well. There's a huge difference between a well-cared-for 15-year-old coach and a neglected one. Find one that has been well-cared-for. With a bit of patience, I think you can find something better in your price range.

Good luck!

TJ

Tags
newmar