Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2007, 06:16 PM   #1

My Norcold basement refer/freezer failed last week. The tech told me that the circuit board was "fried". Norcold replaced the unit. This evening, while using our convection oven, the foil wrapped food began to spark, as if the microwave was also on. All other appliances and TV's are working fine. My surge guard is ok, EMS and inverter also seem to be operating normal. I am currently hooked up to 50 amp service in a reliable location. Any ideas?

Newmar Mountain Aire
JerryKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2007, 06:16 PM   #2

My Norcold basement refer/freezer failed last week. The tech told me that the circuit board was "fried". Norcold replaced the unit. This evening, while using our convection oven, the foil wrapped food began to spark, as if the microwave was also on. All other appliances and TV's are working fine. My surge guard is ok, EMS and inverter also seem to be operating normal. I am currently hooked up to 50 amp service in a reliable location. Any ideas?

Newmar Mountain Aire
Old 07-02-2007, 11:22 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Jerry, what type inverter is onboard? Full sine or modified sine wave? Was the circuit board fried at where the connections are made for the input and/or loads? Loose connections can fry the boards but so could other issues, like modified sine wave on certain systems.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 06:07 AM   #4

My inverter is a Magnum modified sine wave. I am not sure if the board had loose connections...never saw the fried board. The tech thought it was due to low voltage, although I have been plugged into a very reliable 50 amp power source. No other problems have surfaced thus far. I will be installing a smoke detector in the basement, considering the fried board could have caught on fire. I have been told that a modified sine wave is not adequate to run the micorwave, but never told to not use it for the small basement Norcold refer/freezer. We rarely use the inverter as our sole power source. While driving, we generally use the genset so we can run the airs and micro/convection oven.

Newmar Mountain Aire
Old 07-05-2007, 07:43 AM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I will be installing a smoke detector in the basement, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">While driving, we generally use the genset so we can run the airs and micro/convection oven. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Jerry! The smoke detector is a great idea! The microwave should work on just the inverter? Paul
Old 07-05-2007, 07:59 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Jerry, you may want to check your load center to see if your different appliances are divided between the two sides of load center and not all on one side of it.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:29 AM   #7

the microwave was on. something damaged your controls on the convection side of the oven. you can buy a sensor to verify that the microwave is on when you have selected convection.
tom wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:48 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">This evening, while using our convection oven, the foil wrapped food began to spark, as if the microwave was also on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please don't interpret this as sarcastic, because it isn't intended that way. Is it possible that the microwave was turned on? Either by accident or there is a problem with the circuit in your microwave/convection oven?

Put some similar dish with foil in there, and see if you can recreate the condition.

1995 Newell, 470HP Detroit Diesel Series 60
Bikeboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:08 AM   #9

We used the convection oven last night using a foil pan and no sparks. I hope that my wife accidently turned on the microwave after the oven warmed up to temperature.

Smoke alarm was installed this morning.

Newmar Mountain Aire
Old 07-06-2007, 05:37 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Our convection M/W has a setting that it cooks using both. Maybe the M/W as coming on and created the problem.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote