RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2019, 09:07 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Possible solution for Changing oil in my 08 MADP.

Been wanting to do my own oil change since I've had my coach (year and a half). The only concern was how to handle the 10 gallons of oil coming out the drain pan. Think I've found a solution. They have these on sale right now at northern tool. Was cheap enough to give it a try. Went to the hardware store and got extra hose to reach the oil pan through the dip stick.
Hoping it works. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191023-151252.jpeg
Views:	12
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	264936

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2019, 09:59 AM   #2

I bought a similar pump and the oil viscosity prevented a smooth flow, I gave up. Hopefully your pump will work out better than mine.

Old 10-27-2019, 10:20 AM   #3

I use a similar pump to pump fresh oil back into the motor and works fine. I place the 5 gallon bucket (and 2 gallon container) of fresh oil up on a table so hasn't got as far to lift up to oil full tube. I also changed out the smaller suction tube to the same size as the other tube as goes much faster. I use a fumoto valve on the oil drain to control the old oil. The first time I changed oil prior to installing the fumoto valve, I used a medium size plastic tub (like the ones you can by at walmart) to catch the old oil. Now I can drain the old oil into the empty 5 gallon buckets and empty plastic containers and take to recycle or give to someone who has an oil burner for heat.
Milehghcty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:27 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I installed aEZ oil drain valve on the side of the oil pan (bottom drain hole is to low, afraid it could get broken off). I screw a hose on and drain all but 1.5 gallons into the 2.5 gallon def containers I save. Then pull the bottom plug and get the rest. I cut part of a def container to catch the oil when I pull the bottom drain plug. I put one on the generator also.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:40 AM   #5

Buy a big enough pan to hold the oil. I never drain my oil until the engine is warmed up to temperature. I pull the plug and let it go into the pan. Sticking a tube down the little dipstick tube and trying to suck the oil out will not remove any sludge formation in the pan. Over a period of time using the pump with it's flimsy little plastic tube will let sludge form.
When the oil is draining I can find plenty of other things to do such as lube the chassis.
FYI, I always remove the oil filter before draining the oil just in case I drop the filter into the drain pan. Do this just once and you will see why.
Lynn
Old 10-27-2019, 12:56 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I plan to get what I can with the pump then go underneath and finish draining thru the pan plug.
Old 10-27-2019, 03:10 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Look at the Fumoto valves, the simplest way to get the oil out without a mess. You replace the drain plug with the Fumoto valve and drain directly into old jugs.

I buy my oil in the 2.5 gallon jugs at Walmart (Rotella). I save the empty jugs after changing oil for the next oil change. Since I'm going to lube the coach along with the oil change, I run the coach up on blocks, which allows me to slide the 2.5 gallon jug directly under the Fumoto valve. I open the valve and fill the container. Once full, I swap in another jug. When all done, I drop both jugs off at the local parts store and I'm done. On the first oil change, before I have empty jugs, I use the DEF jugs.

Name:   81qIsmuIWlL._AC_UL160_.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  4.3 KB
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 08:42 AM   #8

I use that specific pump in my ski boat. Works great. Just need to be sure to get the engine up to run temperature first. Since you are also changing the oil & filter regularly, I'm not that concerned with sludge in the bottom.
Old 10-28-2019, 07:08 PM   #9

No reason to use a pump on a DP. Ski boat yes because you can't put a pan under it.
Get the Fumoto valve and alternate containers until done.

I use a "car" oil pan with a spout. I fill that, slide it out and pour into the larger oil container and repeat. Don't even need to jack the RV up or put it on ramps. I DO put jack stands under it so I can slide under.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:32 PM   #10

For my 8.3L I have the EZ Drain plug installed and bought a 26qt plastic drain tank and that's all it takes. I add a clear tube on the tip of the plug, flip a lever and in a few it's drained.
Apparently you have a bigger engine then mine but I'm sure you can figure it out. Control or not, that's the choice.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:12 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I cutoff the bottom of a damaged 60 gallon plastic barrel to use as my catch basin. Worked great. Then I would drain my engine and generator oil together. I would use one of those small pumps that attached to your drill to pump the oil back into the oil jugs for easy transport to Walmarts recycling center. Wipe out the catch basin using some WD40...job done!
Old 11-10-2019, 03:44 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Well I got around to changing the oil today. As for the little pump, not so good. Worked but would have taken 2 days to pump the oil out. . Did it the old fashioned way. Glad it was a warm day.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Look at the Fumoto valves, the simplest way to get the oil out without a mess. You replace the drain plug with the Fumoto valve and drain directly into old jugs.

I buy my oil in the 2.5 gallon jugs at Walmart (Rotella). I save the empty jugs after changing oil for the next oil change. Since I'm going to lube the coach along with the oil change, I run the coach up on blocks, which allows me to slide the 2.5 gallon jug directly under the Fumoto valve. I open the valve and fill the container. Once full, I swap in another jug. When all done, I drop both jugs off at the local parts store and I'm done. On the first oil change, before I have empty jugs, I use the DEF jugs.

Attachment 264974
I haven't started changing my own oil yet because I am still under factory warranty. When I do I will do it exactly how Don describes.

When we had our cruiser I always changed oil in it (twin diesel inboards). Of course you had to pump it out through the dipstick. Not an easy job and the oil had to be pretty hot to keep it pumping. I agree with what someone else said about not getting all the crap out of the bottom of the pan.

FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote