Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2015, 11:27 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Postponed our RV Purchase till next year

We were going to order a Canyon Star 3921 this year but we decided to hold off till next year to save a few more dollars to purchase a 2017 Dutch Star. Wife and I thank it'll be worth the extra wait. What do you guys think?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2015, 11:30 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Absolutely!!!

bonzocfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:42 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi RVBuddy,
This is a very personal decision. In Newmar land, there is pretty much something for everyone. There is no right or wrong. Whatever is purchased, it will be 10 years or so before you know, for sure, if the correct decision was made.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:51 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It can only be your decision. Hope it works out for the best.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:58 AM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'd wait and get the DS. We've had two, a 2000 and 2002. Made the big mistake of trading the '02 on the '09 Magna.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:11 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
That's exactly what we did, two years ago. We ordered our 2016 DSDP4381 last month; I am so glad we did, with all the improvements and steerable tag. BUT, there will always be improvements... every year! If you are thinking about a DS now, you will never be as happy in a Ventana, IMHO.
Old 06-29-2015, 12:28 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We bought a new Canyon Star in 2013, a 3911 model. We have been very happy with it. Whatever Newmar that you purchase, gas or diesel, you will have bought a quality product from a quality manufacturer.

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan

🎓 I always think I know more than I actually do! I'm not a 🚀 scientist, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. 🏩
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:28 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
X2 for Jim T's comments. We also bought a Canyon Star and love it. It is the right coach for our needs at this time. Will we ever get a Newmar diesel? Very possible I suppose. But, for now we'll enjoy the lower cost of fuel, lower cost of maintenance and the beauty of still owning a Newmar. Just returned two days ago from almost 4000 miles over the past 9 weeks. Now with a total of more than 16k miles on it the CS continued to perform flawlessly. Good luck with your decision and enjoy owning a Newmar motorhome whichever coach you choose!
Old 06-29-2015, 02:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVBuddy View Post
We were going to order a Canyon Star 3921 this year but we decided to hold off till next year to save a few more dollars to purchase a 2017 Dutch Star. Wife and I thank it'll be worth the extra wait. What do you guys think?
The 2016, and 2017 will have the annual price increase, as well as increase that may result from raising the bar as to standard offerings in the unit. So a 2015 that sells today for 250K may be 270K for regular increases when you are ready to purchase plus what ever the latest and greatest adds to the cost of the base unit (i.e.: this year it is the STAR chassis and passive steering on the tag).

I suppose your investments could keep pace or even exceed the annual Newmar increases.......

The Dutch Star is very nice......but I wouldn't remove from consideration the Ventana......

In addition the current conventional wisdom is that interest rates will be rising.

And, the resale/trade value of your current unit will be one year older.

rich
Old 06-29-2015, 08:21 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I would always select the Dutch Star over the Can Can Star...
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:11 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You have to do what feels right for you. No one else can make that decision for you. Good luck!
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVBuddy View Post
We were in the same position except we were looking at the Bay Star 3103. In January of 2014, we decided to hold off until January of 2015. Save some more $$$ and go for it. I can't remember when they announced the 2015 line up, but neither of us liked the color schemes. If you have ever had a black car, you know what I mean. I found a coach online that had the interior colors and cabinets that I had wanted to show my wife. She loved the interior. It was a 2014 3103, and the exterior was Hazelnut with the red, which I really liked. Long story short, we flew to Fort Myers and that coach is currently sitting in front of the house. The only option or upgrade that we missed out on was the 22,500 lbs chassis that came out on the 2015. Ours has the 20,500 lbs chassis. She drives nice. No white knuckle experiences so far in 4,000 miles up and down the East coast.

The morale of the story, keep your eye out for and end of year deal. You may run into a deal to good to say no to.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:22 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
What ever you and your wife feel comfortable with is the answer.
I don't know your age, I am 68, and in the last year or so have buried to many family members and friends. We traded motor homes in March. Could have waited, had a good coach. But the way personal health changes in your later years.....don't wait. If I am blessed enough to be around a while, I want to sell, slow down, and think about my memories. Not find myself with regrets or wishing I had.
I told my kids and financial planner, I am planning on the last check I write, is going to bounce.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
What ever you and your wife feel comfortable with is the answer.
I don't know your age, I am 68, and in the last year or so have buried to many family members and friends. We traded motor homes in March. Could have waited, had a good coach. But the way personal health changes in your later years.....don't wait. If I am blessed enough to be around a while, I want to sell, slow down, and think about my memories. Not find myself with regrets or wishing I had.
I told my kids and financial planner, I am planning on the last check I write, is going to bounce.
That's what my Dad's plan was. He said that when he went, he wanted to be even with the house. He didn't want to owe anything or have anything. He succeeded.

Tags
purchase