RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2017, 12:56 AM   #15

And don't forget that they're attempting to remove the sales tax deduction as well.

Sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2017, 12:58 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Potential new tax code

What sales tax deduction? Please let it be true🤞🏻

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:27 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
What sales tax deduction? Please let it be true����
Why would you want to eliminate the sales tax deduction? ... want to pay taxes on the same money used to pay taxes?
Old 11-21-2017, 06:43 AM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Be careful of Credit Lines or Home Equity Loans they are tied to the prime rate and can go up a lot during the life of the loan, however you can lock in your rate on a LOC for the purchase when you make a draw BUT it is higher than the low opening rate you first started with.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 11-21-2017, 06:44 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Potential new tax code

Since when can you write off sales tax, please explain so I can understand, Iím am very serious, really want to know, thank you
Maybe this is an individual state thing?

Old 11-21-2017, 06:48 AM   #20

Personally I think itís the right move. ( ok now hit me ) It makes no sense to deduct a interest on a second home of any kind, especially if it is a RECREATIONAL vehicle. Itís questionable why interest on any mortgage is deductible especially considering how many people actually benefit from itemized deductions as compared to std deductions and exemptions.
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:50 AM   #21

Quote:
Since when can you write off sales tax, please explain so I can understand, Iím am very serious, really want to know, thank you
Iím fairly sure we can write off sales tax on major purchases here in SC.
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:55 AM   #22

Quote:
You can write off local income tax OR local sales tax but not both you have to choose.

Here in FL with no state income tax there is no choice, just write off sales tax, which was significant when I bought my MH and Jeep in the same year.

The new tax plan would eliminate deducting any local taxes, income or sales.
jharrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:59 AM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will make no comment on the Tax Plan here .

If you want my opinion. Facebook My user ID is part of my Facebook ID
Old 11-21-2017, 07:00 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
Personally I think itís the right move. ( ok now hit me ) It makes no sense to deduct a interest on a second home of any kind, especially if it is a RECREATIONAL vehicle. Itís questionable why interest on any mortgage is deductible especially considering how many people actually benefit from itemized deductions as compared to std deductions and exemptions.
I'm with you...
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:12 AM   #25

Quote:
In states that do not have a state income tax, Texas and five others. A portion of state sales tax is deductible from Federal Income tax if a person itemizes. On large purchases RV, Auto,Truck all of the sales tax is deductible. This will go away under the new tax plans.
When this tax plan is signed it will be the first tax break I have received since Ronald Reagan.
For those who donate to charity and have a 401K there is a way to write checks on your 401K that are not taxable. It is called "Qualified Charitable Distribution"
it also counts toward your MRD if you are 70 1/2. I do this trough Fidelity. I have not of read of any changes to this under the new tax plan.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:23 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcolorado View Post
In states that do not have a state income tax, Texas and five others. A portion of state sales tax is deductible from Federal Income tax if a person itemizes. On large purchases RV, Auto,Truck all of the sales tax is deductible. This will go away under the new tax plans.

When this tax plan is signed it will be the first tax break I have received since Ronald Reagan.

For those who donate to charity and have a 401K there is a way to write checks on your 401K that are not taxable. It is called "Qualified Charitable Distribution"

it also counts toward your MRD if you are 70 1/2. I do this trough Fidelity. I have not of read of any changes to this under the new tax plan.

Ok that clears a lot up, thank you. California, Los Angeles is brutal, 9.5% sales tax, I so wish sales tax was deductible here.
Oh the Reagen days, miss them

Old 11-21-2017, 07:23 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcolorado View Post
This part was true even if you did not itemize and used the state sales tax table.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:26 AM   #28

Quote:
Ok that clears a lot up, thank you. California, Los Angeles is brutal, 9.5% sales tax, I so wish sales tax was deductible here.
It is deductible in ANY state, but if you do you can't deduct state income tax, one or the other. Usually income tax is the bigger deduction, but if you make a big purchase maybe not.

Please see: https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductio...ax-at-a-glance

jharrell is offline   Reply With Quote