RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2007, 06:45 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
I have a 2006 DSDP 4027 with three slides and power lock arms. It is just over one year old now and since the first day I have had a problem with the arms at least 75% of the time. When I push the slide switch, the power lock arms come in, pause a second, then go back out and lock into place. I can immediately push the switch a second time and they will retract and the slide will start out normally. All three of my slides do this. My one driver's side bedroom slide will also ocassionally activate the power lock arms when it has extended all the way out. This same slide doesn't activate the voice module most of the time either. I have been to two dealers when it was under warranty that just said, "They all do that, just push the switch a second time". It seems that at about $1k per slide for the power lock arms that they shouldn't do that. Just wondering if anyone else has had this experience and found any solution?

2006 Newmar Dutch Star 4027
Harm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2007, 06:45 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I have a 2006 DSDP 4027 with three slides and power lock arms. It is just over one year old now and since the first day I have had a problem with the arms at least 75% of the time. When I push the slide switch, the power lock arms come in, pause a second, then go back out and lock into place. I can immediately push the switch a second time and they will retract and the slide will start out normally. All three of my slides do this. My one driver's side bedroom slide will also ocassionally activate the power lock arms when it has extended all the way out. This same slide doesn't activate the voice module most of the time either. I have been to two dealers when it was under warranty that just said, "They all do that, just push the switch a second time". It seems that at about $1k per slide for the power lock arms that they shouldn't do that. Just wondering if anyone else has had this experience and found any solution?

Old 05-01-2007, 08:11 AM   #3

Those two dealers are wrong, they don't all do that. If you could take it to the factory they would fix it right.
Welcome to the forum.

Peter
Old 05-01-2007, 08:35 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks Peter for the reply. I called the factory but they want a 6 month advance reservation for repair and instead want to refer me to a dealer in Elkhart. We are planning a trip out west this summer so I guess I'll have to plan an advance reservation at the factory after that. Thanks again.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:52 AM   #5

At least your issues will not cause damage or stop you. Even the locks extending when the slides are out should present no problem as they are safty guarded with proximity switches limiting the slides retraction only when the locks have retracted. There is a tool, actually a portable switch box, that Newmar sells at their parts store at the factory that can be plugged into each slide relay (accessed in the basement). With this box you can operate the slide and locks indendent overriding all safties and relays. This would be good to have should a further failure occurr. I have one, but have never needed to use it yet.

Peter
Old 05-01-2007, 09:43 AM   #6

On our 2005 DSDP, 4024 we have found that if the power is turned off for any reason then the slides get confused as to what position they are in (someone put the switch in the overhead compartment in "store" mode). You operate the "open" switch and the locks unlock, then lock again without any movement of the slide itself. Once you cycle thru these confusions the slides work fine. It seems the dealer personnel put the switch in store mode as a matter of course, they say to save on battery usage.

We have not had a problem with the locks when the slides are out.

We did have an issue with one slide which may or may not operate (it opened the locks) then nothing more). The dealer found broken/damaged limit switches on this slide.

2005 Dodge Durango
Iowa Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:32 PM   #7

Harm...I have the same problem with most of my 4 slides....very intermittent tho...and the left front sometimes requires me to push the retract button FOUR times before it will come it....that one day it doesnt come in and I'm in the woods I will be p****d
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 01:06 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks to everyone for the responses. This forum is really great. I wish I would of discovered it a year ago instead of all the trial and error.
Peter: Thanks again and I plan on visiting the factory parts center in June and will probably purchase the test tool for the slides as you have recommended.
Iowa Travelers: That is very interesting as I usually put my batteries in store mode when I have it parked at the house. I will have to leave it hot and try it a few times and see if it makes a difference.
Larry: Your right it's not a big problem, just annoying, but my fear is the same as yours that it may progress in the future and then not retract.