RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2019, 05:15 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Power Outage?

In my past Tiffin motorhome I had outlets that was not powered by the 12v/inverter system, so I knew exactly when the power went out. I even had an electric adapter/nightlight that would let me know. On my Ventana LE everything is controlled by the 12v/inverter system. I previously checked my outlets and they are all controlled by the 12v/inverter system. While sitting in a campground with the recent storms raging all around us I thought how would I know if I lost power. I have an AGS, but it is not setup yet. But I would like to know I lost power when I loose it not after the batteries are being drained.

How can I know when I loose power?

reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2019, 05:30 AM   #2

Your power control panel should show if you have shore power or not.

Prov. 3: 5-6
lostinfla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:45 AM   #3

If you have your a/c's running they will throw an error message or just stop also.

We have lost power a couple of times and that was my first indication.

But like the other poster said, your monitor panel will tell you what power is coming into the coach.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
In my past Tiffin motorhome I had outlets that was not powered by the 12v/inverter system, so I knew exactly when the power went out. I even had an electric adapter/nightlight that would let me know. On my Ventana LE everything is controlled by the 12v/inverter system. I previously checked my outlets and they are all controlled by the 12v/inverter system. While sitting in a campground with the recent storms raging all around us I thought how would I know if I lost power. I have an AGS, but it is not setup yet. But I would like to know I lost power when I loose it not after the batteries are being drained.

How can I know when I loose power?
What is an AGS
Old 04-15-2019, 06:12 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi cavie,
AGS means Automatic Generator Start. The owner sets the parameters for when the generator should start (by battery voltage) and times of the night/day the generator should not start.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi cavie,
AGS means Automatic Generator Start.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:04 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
I would also like a more visual indicator that the power has gone out... I was gone for a while, and when we came back, the coach seemed a little warm (Spring temps, not too hot). I finally looked at the monitor and realized that we were running on the inverter. It seems that we had tripped the exterior breaker and had no power on to the coach. I used to keep a digital voltage meter plugged in where I could see it in our last coach, but here the only outlets I could find that are not on the inverter are in the 1/2 bath cabinets. I have to remember to open and check.
mbrooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrooking View Post
I would also like a more visual indicator that the power has gone out... I was gone for a while, and when we came back, the coach seemed a little warm (Spring temps, not too hot). I finally looked at the monitor and realized that we were running on the inverter. It seems that we had tripped the exterior breaker and had no power on to the coach. I used to keep a digital voltage meter plugged in where I could see it in our last coach, but here the only outlets I could find that are not on the inverter are in the 1/2 bath cabinets. I have to remember to open and check.

If you tripped the pedestal 50 ampere breaker due to load, you have load balancing issues to deal with first.

For a simple "campground lost all power" you could plug in a small light into the 20 amp outlet (a night light?) an put it on the pedestal or run an extension cord to some place more visible from your rig.

You might call Newmar and ask them about adding a circuit ahead of the inverter (or moving one off inverter power). They're very helpful folks.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:48 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinfla View Post
Your power control panel should show if you have shore power or not.
But I don't look at this all the time. If I am in my recliner watching TV and the temperature is not needing heat pumps or an A/C running I would not know I lost power until it has drained my batteries.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:53 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Hi mbrooking,
I seriously doubt you have a load imbalance in the coach. Consider setting your AGS to come on if you loose power. As to an obvious "we've lost power" when your in the coach, not knowing how the MA is wired, it is difficult to say. My micro wave is not on the inverter. I just look for the clock. If it is not there the shore power is gone. Newer micro waves do not display a clock. One must push a button to get a clock to display.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:56 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
To reubenray and mbrooking,
It is time for both of you to get your AGS set up so the generator comes on at a very high voltage level. The generator should come on soon after you loose poser.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:10 AM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"reubenray"....I understand exactly what you're asking for. On my Diplomat, several outlets were not inverted. One was near where I would sit in my chair. I always had a small analog meter that showed what power I was getting. I could look at it quickly and know if the power was dipping into the 105 or 106 voltage. Obviously, I knew when the power was out.

Something like a green light, maybe connected to the shore power monitor, and attached to the underside of that cabinet. When you have shore power, the green light would be on. This way, from anywhere in the coach, you could see if power is connected.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:28 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
To reubenray and mbrooking,
It is time for both of you to get your AGS set up so the generator comes on at a very high voltage level. The generator should come on soon after you loose poser.
I usually leave the AGS off, as the coach is stored inside a enclosed garage. I guess I could get used to turning the AGS on each time when parked at a campground.
mbrooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:08 PM   #14

I have my inverter "off" when I am on shore power. Therefore, all the lights go off when the shore power is off (wakes me right up when the nightlight goes off). During the day, TV goes off etc.

Tags
power