Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2016, 06:32 AM   #1

Power Steering Fluid/Filter Change Interval

For the Freightliner (FL) chassis I'm understanding they (FL) recommend EVERY
12 MONTHS/15,000 MILES change both the fluid and filter. Many knowledgeable & experienced owners are saying EVERY 2 YEARS is often enough, as a rule. If follow the latter routine, perhaps smart to at least inspect the color/smell? If ANNUALLY I'm due and have the filter and fluid. BUT, I'd rather put if off for another year if NO HARM. Would much appreciate your knowledeable/experienced feedback. Thanks! Larry
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2016, 06:39 AM   #2

Spartan says change oil every two years and filter yearly. Have put 3500 miles on this year, I am not going to change it. I know not Freightliner but fluid is fluid.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:52 AM   #3

Larry, you should attend Camp Freightliner if you get the chance. You will then get details on all the service items and what does and doesn't have to be done as per the maintenance schedule. TRW recommends changing the fluid and filter every 150,000 miles, which may be every year if you drive a long haul truck! But you will be told by the instructor that you can just check the fluid for contamination every year and that is it.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:30 AM   #4

John, at what intervals do you plan to change your PS fluid and filter? If the fluid appears fine are you changing the filter...or neither for a while
longer? I have the fluid and filter, planning to follow the manual and do the annual change for both now, but, I sense it's foolish. While everything is so costly I'd prefer to delay until NECESSARY, without being concered with warranty problems later. To me it's amazing what the techs at FL
Gaffney tell you, contradicting their manual. Found that to be true? I'd
appreciate your feedback SAP, John, so I can finish up my servicing.
Many thanks! Larry
Old 08-31-2016, 07:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh37 View Post
John, at what intervals do you plan to change your PS fluid and filter? If the fluid appears fine are you changing the filter...or neither for a while
longer? I have the fluid and filter, planning to follow the manual and do the annual change for both now, but, I sense it's foolish. While everything is so costly I'd prefer to delay until NECESSARY, without being concered with warranty problems later. To me it's amazing what the techs at FL
Gaffney tell you, contradicting their manual. Found that to be true? I'd
appreciate your feedback SAP, John, so I can finish up my servicing.
Many thanks! Larry
Maybe 5 years unless it deteriorates before then. I may send a sample to Blackstone before then just to be sure. You can't really change the filter without draining the tank so they do go together.
Are you planning to replace the fluid in your jacks? It's a very similar situation and HWH doesn't recommend changing the fluid, ever!
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:54 AM   #6

I have NO thought of changing the fluid in my HWH levelers, John. I was
however, under the impression the PS filter could be lifted out and changed
without draining the fluid. I have the 4-qt. plastic reservoir with the filter on the right side. Appears it can just be lifted out, if wanting to change only it.
No? Hope to make the Gaffney trip and course one day...gotta be
invaluable! Thanks, John.

Tags
fluid, power, steering