Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2011, 07:23 PM   #1

Pre-delivery inspection on a 2006 MADP, 4309

I have just purchased a 2006 MADP 4309 (traded an Ultimate Freedom) and am picking it up as soon as it’s ready, from a dealer in Quebec City, Canada. I only get 30 days warranty on the whole coach and 3 months on engine and drive train. This would be my fifth MH, 3rd DP in about 20 years so I have quite a bit of experience with repairs and maintenance on them. I have prepared my checklist and plan on spending 2-3 days in the dealer’s parking lot at delivery. The coach is equipped with a few options like Hydro-Hot, power management and navigation which I’m not familiar with but it should be all fun. I have never purchased an extended warranty and don't plan on buying one, I have been lucky that I was able to do most of my maintenance for a lot less than the warranty would have cost. I think my list is quite complete, I will test everything that is on the build sheet I obtained from Newmar but was wondering if anyone would throw in some ideas as to what would be an important test or possibly identify a known problem with this model. This coach has been parked for the last 10 months or so and I know they are working on the slides getting it ready… Tx in advance, I’m new to the site but have read many, many posts. A ton of useful info. here!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2011, 08:37 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome DanielB to the Newmar forum & irv2.
Congrats on to be new Newmar many safe miles for you.
The COM_NET link it Quick Tips will get you information specific to your coach if you have the Newmar build number.
You still can get a Owners Manual & brochure now and other Tech info.
Some reading material for weekend but things you need to know.
Enjoy the forums and others I'm sure will jump in here to help you out.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:50 AM   #3

check the fridge....the original Norcrap may be sick/tired
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:57 AM   #4

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Check battery compartment for acid residue/buildup on batteries and tray.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:17 AM   #5

check a/c dashboard and two roof ones
check slide outs several times in and out
check carbon monoxide detector and smoke alarm
battery cables
desertbound 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:00 AM   #6

As you probably know it is harder on a motorhome to sit ten months than driving a motorhome ten months. The annual service is either due or overdue. I would change the engine oil and filter, change the two fuel filters, lube the chassis, and change the oil, filter and coolant in the generator.

If there are no maintenance records and with a six model old motorhome I would also change the transmission fluid and two filters, change the coolant, change the air system filter and change the hydrulic fluid and filters.

The batteries are probably shot and will need to be replaced. The tires will be about six years old and from sitting they are probably cracking. You don't know if the tires have been abused or driven under inflated. So I would take a close look at the tires and have them inspected at a truck tire facility.

CO alarms have a lifespan of 5-7 years so it should be replaced and you may want to replace the smoke detector too.

Check to bottom of the radiator for salt damage and leaks. If it was driven on salted roads and not immediately cleaned it may present a problem.

Good luck and welcome to the Newmar Family.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:16 AM   #7

Check the hoses that supply domestic hot water to Hydro Hot from the motor. There were some case were the hoses burst and soaked the basement with antifreeze. If they were not replaced I would do it.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:50 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
If you have eclipse radio with tom tom GPS in it..suggest you plan on replacing as radio is no longer supported and tom tom is for car use only...agree with Norm on fluids/filters/tires...
clubmed98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:53 PM   #9

Make sure they do an annual maintenance procedure on the hydro hot. Hydro Hot says that must be done once per year even if it is not used. It consists of a new diesel filter, new nozzle and strainer and is much more expensive that it appears that it should be so make sure they do it before delivery.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:39 PM   #10

I will run the fridge and the outdoor fridge/freezer as well as the air conditioners for the 2 days I’m there. I will also test the slides and jacks carefully as this is expensive to fix…
I seem to remember a ‘Panasonic’ in dash radio (not a Pioneer) but I’m not 100% sure. Is this the one with Tom Tom GPS?
I remember reading about hoses on Hydro Hot that burst (between engine and Hydro Hot, motor aid), how will I know if they were replaced?
I will try to get a complete maintenance on engine generator and hydro-hot, worst case I can do this myself.
I looked at the tires and they were in excellent shape, the coach only has 21000 miles on it. Batteries looked like they were recent but again something I can easily replace myself.
Thanks for pointing out the CO and fire alarms, will definitely test those.
Thanks everyone!