Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2015, 06:03 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
"Pre-flight" Inspection - Coolant

Hi All,
Feeling pretty stupid because I can't find a sight gage or tank to check coolant on my 2005 Kountry Star 3907 DP w/Spartan MM chassis and 8.3 ISC 330 Cummins engine. I also do not see an air filter meter or sight gage. Are these hiding behind the radiator? Very little is visible with all the rubber baffling around the radiator.
I just had it all checked and serviced at the Spartan facility in Michigan and all is good, but need to be able to check myself prior to trips. I've learned a lot about the coach since we purchased in late June but these issues have stumped me. Manuals have not been helpful or I just haven't looked in the right place.
If anyone is familiar with the KSDP 3907 I would appreciate a hint.
Thank you in advance.

Rick & Sue
Michigan
CoachC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2015, 08:44 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
There is a sight glass I believe at the rear of engine.
Check the Spartan forum there are QT' links top of forum.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 05:39 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi CoachC,
On this point we have the same coach. For the coolant sight glass go to Coolant Expansion Tank - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery to see a picture. The expansion tank and sight glass are located (looking from the rear of the coach) in the passenger side upper right of the engine compartment. That being said, I find the sight glass to be useless. Consider getting a long white plastic wire tie. Remove the radiator cap and stick the wire tie into the expansion tank. Remove the wire tie and place it in in front of the tank, next to the sight glass. The level of coolant in relation to the sight glass will be where the coolant ends on the wire tie. This method uses the wire tie the same as a dip stick when the oil level is checked.

As to the sight glass for the air cleaner, again, I find the gage useless. Unless you are traveling in dusty conditions, replace the air filter every 3 years (maximum). The paper, in the filter, does deteriorate over time.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 06:59 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the replies. Very helpful.
Was the baffling removed for maintenance (picture)? There is only a small flap cut in the baffling to get to the radiator cap on mine.
Oil and transmission dipsticks come through the baffling but access to the engine compartment is completely cut off otherwise.
My background is in aviation. Baffling in the engine compartment of an airplane is critical to direction and control of airflow for even cooling of cylinders. does baffling for a rear radiator DP provide a similar purpose or is to keep the road dirt out?
Thanks again for the help!

Rick & Sue
CoachC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachC View Post
Thanks for the replies. Very helpful.
Was the baffling removed for maintenance (picture)? There is only a small flap cut in the baffling to get to the radiator cap on mine.
Oil and transmission dipsticks come through the baffling but access to the engine compartment is completely cut off otherwise.
My background is in aviation. Baffling in the engine compartment of an airplane is critical to direction and control of airflow for even cooling of cylinders. does baffling for a rear radiator DP provide a similar purpose or is to keep the road dirt out?
Thanks again for the help!

Rick & Sue
On my previous 2005, 3910 there was an opening above the radiator all the way across that was big enough to to get my big head through. I could see the entire engine but could not do anything but look through opening.
Using Final Charge (red) antifreeze I could easily check level with sight gage, if it is pinkish red antifreeze level is good, no pink/red it is low.
I am also a retired A&P and pilot.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:57 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi CoachC,
There has never been any baffling in my engine compartment. What is seen in the picture is the way it has always been. Bought the coach new.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:54 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Gary,
Thanks. I'm curious if the baffling was an option, owner add on or had some other purpose.

Click image for larger version

Name:	109.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	111356

Name:	102.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	111357

Name:	101.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	111358

Name:	103.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	111359

Name:	108.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	111360
Old 11-07-2015, 05:00 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi CoachC,
Thanks for the pics. I have never seen this. I do all my own maintenance. The baffle in your pics would make maintenance much more difficult. Glad mine is the way it is.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:30 PM   #9

Mine was just like Gary's. It appears the hose has holes rubbed thru it, what has rubbed on it. I bet someone added this for some reason, if it was to keep clean it does not look like it worked well.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:21 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Perhaps Spartan can answer the question of baffling.
Thanks for the replies.

Tags
light