Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2018, 01:16 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Prep for Cold Weather Travel

We are planning a February getaway traveling from ND to southern CA in February. We will most likely be traveling, for a time, through some cold weather. Our Ventana is presently in a heated storage building with the fresh water tank drained, holding tank drained, hot water line to the gen. area drained, and pink antifreeze in the traps - just to be safe. Oasis is turned off. We haven't truly winterized our coaches for a number of years due to the climate controlled storage. This winter, however, we are planning this little RV trip. I've studied some by reading some great posts on the subject in the IRV2 library.
  1. A remaining question is, "Should I depart for southern US with the fresh water tank full or empty - or should I wait until I'm at a more safe latitude?" Using the weather bureau, I plan to time my departure so that we don't encounter weather below -10. I don't anticipate more than two days of really cold weather.
  2. Is it OK to run the Oasis heater system for coach heat with no water in the water tank - or do I need to have water on board?
Any thoughts/answers/recommendations would be most welcome.
Thanks.
Bushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2018, 02:58 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You can have it all but make sure the Oasis is ready to go with out problems and has had service, if not run that much, many of your answers are in this link and the winterizing link has info for winter travels and some passes over the highway system may require chains.
Get your heat on and full of water and enjoy your trip.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:09 AM   #3

Hi Bushy
No you do not have to have water on board to use the Oasis. Not sure I would even want to comment on weather to leave with water or not. My first two coach's would not have handled temps of -10. I do believe my Newmar would however I haven't tested. Lastly, if I was in your shoes I likely would be leaving with full water as wife wouldn't want any part of traveling in the coach without water. I kind of feel the same way.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushy View Post
We are planning a February getaway traveling from ND to southern CA in February............

This winter, however, we are planning this little RV trip.

I've studied some by reading some great posts on the subject in the IRV2 library.
  1. A remaining question is, "Should I depart for southern US with the (1) fresh water tank full or empty - or should I wait until I'm at a more safe latitude?" Using the weather bureau,

I plan to time my departure so that we don't encounter weather below -10. I don't anticipate more than (2) two days of really cold weather.
  2. Is it (3) OK to run the Oasis heater system for coach heat with no water in the water tank - or do I need to have water on board?

Any thoughts/answers/recommendations would be most welcome.

Thanks.
Think you likely have a good handle on all the issues - BUT - I'll try to address each Question;

(1) Water Tank Full or Empty? - Full

(2) As long as the Heat is on and you are on Generator or Plugged in you are fine

(3) Oasis On - Unless you plan on staying in a Hotel as you travel - with or without water it works. - -

Having traveled often in the Winter - the Biggest issue is finding an RV park OPEN, so think of it as Boondocking for the time it takes to get to a Park that allows you to Plug in. Good Battery bank helps - but extreme cold is hard on the batteries, so keep that in mind and run the generator to keep things warm if you stop for the night in extreme cold.

Also as you run down the road the cold is Penetrating to the walls and the Basement area - So Heat on - I turn it up to 60's in the Basement in extreme conditions as I drive. 70's to the rest of the coach - My coach will heat off the engine as it goes down the road, check yours.

Sounds as if you have things under control, and this should be easy - who knows, with the crazy weather it might just be "Warm" when you leave and all will be fine.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold weather, travel