Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2017, 05:55 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Pressure washing and the air intake vent

We are getting ready to head out for our first southern trip with our coach and have put my pressure washer in the basement for when we get to warmer climates .

My concern is about that air intake vent on the upper left hand side at the rear of the coach and the chances of ingesting moisture from the pressure washer.Makes sense to not directly hit the intake but after reading the issues of dusting and the like am wondering if i should just leave the pressure washer behind and hand wash my coach.

We will be in freezing temps for the first week or so and was going to stop in Fargo ND to get the coach pressure washed but am having second thoughts now.

Can anyone provide me with some experiences here.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2017, 06:07 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Hi, I pride myself on having never washed an rv in 40 years of rv'ing

Different coach, but our intake must be similar and have never done anything special to protect the intake and thus far no issues always using Blue Beacon while on the road.

Good luck !
Old 12-17-2017, 06:17 AM   #3

There is a drain built into the bottom of the air inlet.
Rotten-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 06:19 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Hi, I pride myself on having never washed an rv in 40 years of rv'ing

Different coach, but our intake must be similar and have never done anything special to protect the intake and thus far no issues always using Blue Beacon while on the road.

Good luck !
Great, app downloaded !
Old 12-17-2017, 06:21 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lots of good camp grounds have designated folks who will wash and wax your rig and usually at a very good price. That's what I do.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 06:24 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten-Red View Post
There is a drain built into the bottom of the air inlet.
Interesting! makes sense for rain ingestion , that raises another thought. As we will be leaving the truck wash in freezing temps will that drain have had time to drain all the water ?
Old 12-17-2017, 06:55 AM   #7

Yes, it should drain out immediately.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:13 AM   #8

Have only used Blue Beacon to wash our campers since first Jayco Fiver in 1994 which we we had for 14 years. Now on our second Newmar and they only see Blue Beacon also. Was in the trucking business for 44 years and Blue Beacon did most of that washing also. Never a problem as all air cleaner systems have a drain provision. Even on most cars and pickups.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimlimike View Post
... Can anyone provide me with some experiences here.
A word of caution with the pressure washer, if you have a Norcold refrigerator. The small black box recall device from Norcold does not like getting sprayed with water. I learned to spray water only in a downward direction over the vents in the plastic outside door for the refrigerator. That will keep most water spray from entering into the outer refrigerator area.

If the Norcold recall device gets wet, a red light on the device comes on, and power to the refrigerator is turned off. Using the "search" window at the top of each forum page, will reveal how to re-set the Norcold black box. All the best.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 04:04 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
A word of caution with the pressure washer, if you have a Norcold refrigerator. The small black box recall device from Norcold does not like getting sprayed with water. I learned to spray water only in a downward direction over the vents in the plastic outside door for the refrigerator. That will keep most water spray from entering into the outer refrigerator area.

If the Norcold recall device gets wet, a red light on the device comes on, and power to the refrigerator is turned off. Using the "search" window at the top of each forum page, will reveal how to re-set the Norcold black box. All the best.
Thanks for that heads up, never even occurred to me
Old 12-19-2017, 07:08 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
FYI, i spoke with Mike in customer service and he explained how this system works.

The air intake on the exterior of the coach enters into the chamber and the inlet into the filter is located about six inches lower on the opposite side, and about 6 inches above the bottom of the chamber, and has a diverter plate attached to it that deflects any water away from the intake and gravity takes the water to the bottom of the chamber where a drain hose takes it outside the box under the coach. The drain hose is foamed into the chamber , I assume for insulation value and fastening.

So theoretically there could be some liquid at the bottom of the chamber ( less than 6 inches) and still not be in danger of being ingested into the air intake filter.

My first job, once we get out of this -25 weather, will be do blow out that drain line to make sure its clean.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:17 AM   #12

I have never believed in pressure washing anything but sidewalks. I dont see a need to force water where it never should go so it can develop mold. Murphys oil soap and a little bleach sprayed on if the mold is already there just Blue Beacon or something like it, washed off with water from the hose.

JMHO Q
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:22 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
I have never believed in pressure washing anything but sidewalks. I dont see a need to force water where it never should go so it can develop mold. Murphys oil soap and a little bleach sprayed on if the mold is already there just Blue Beacon or something like it, washed off with water from the hose.

JMHO Q
X2 on Quincy's advice. One can do some serious damage with a pressure washer. I prefer less risky tools and techniques. If you're going to use a pressure washer - be careful.
Bushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 01:02 PM   #14

My pressure washers are among my favorite tools. Living on a lake and in the woods it is indispensable. That being said, I tend to use it more than what I should use it for and have blown off my share of decals. But I love the instant satisfaction of blowing off 10 years of crud off something in a few minutes

Tags
air, vent