RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2019, 08:51 AM   #15

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
It will be interesting to hear the answer. Seems like those are going to be two different things. That sounds like (since their are six) it checking an air valve at each brake pod, where when it comes to the lanyard, you have only three (or four if you have the safe haul installed) and those valves are at their air tanks.
Yes, it does seem to be 2 different things. Thatís why I wanted someone who is going to the class soon to ask for clarification.

BodieJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2019, 11:08 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I went last August and it was worth the money. The sound is checking the ABS, 6 with tag and 4 without. You will receive a placard showing a complete air brake test. Not home or I would post a picture. Had a lot of fun and met new friends. Going back in July for reunion and service.

Old 05-28-2019, 02:18 PM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BodieJames View Post
You are not starting the engine. Just turning the key to ON position while pushing brake all the way down.

Thanks,
For the ABS purge test you do not need to push the brake all the way down, only medium pressure is needed. Here is the procedure from Spartan when I did the class back in 2014. The procedure for pulling and testing the lanyards is a separate test all together.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7BFD2CA9-F2EA-4591-AD5E-F4E525B17810.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	247636  

1100W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 02:19 PM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jporietis View Post
I believe that test does a test of the abs system. It does not do the job of the lanyard pul. Also make sure you release the parking brake unless you have an anti compounding valve as you could damage your brake system
Spartan chassis since at least 2014 have an anti compounding valve.

1100W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:10 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowekmr View Post
Good Info
I think my tires are at 100psi as they were when I got it from previous owner. I'll check the placard now.
I have had preventative maintenance done at local RV shop but never heard of the hub maintenance. Is that where they take off the tires and disassemble the hubs to lubricate/check for wear?

The steer and tag axles us oil bath hubs to lubricate the wheel bearings not grease. If you haven't checked them use the odd looking black wrench in the black Newmar bag and remove the hub centers. There is a clear disk with a red center with 2 circular lines showing min and max. The oil should be in between the lines when cold.

If you need to add any there is a fill hole plugged with an Allen screw.

If you have noticed any streaks of oil coming from the hub caps (spiderwebbing) some of the screws that hold the plate to the hub center may be loose. After our 12 month service at a Spartan Factory Approved Service Center my drivers hub was leaking a little. I removed the cover and tightened the 4 1/2 bolts and the 2 studs and cleaned up the residue. I had to clean several times because of the oily residue spreading out from nooks and crannies.

Never enough to cause me to,add any but it sure got my attention.

John
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:30 AM   #20
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steele View Post
The steer and tag axles us oil bath hubs to lubricate the wheel bearings not grease. If you haven't checked them use the odd looking black wrench in the black Newmar bag and remove the hub centers. There is a clear disk with a red center with 2 circular lines showing min and max. The oil should be in between the lines when cold.

If you need to add any there is a fill hole plugged with an Allen screw.

If you have noticed any streaks of oil coming from the hub caps (spiderwebbing) some of the screws that hold the plate to the hub center may be loose. After our 12 month service at a Spartan Factory Approved Service Center my drivers hub was leaking a little. I removed the cover and tightened the 4 1/2 bolts and the 2 studs and cleaned up the residue. I had to clean several times because of the oily residue spreading out from nooks and crannies.

Never enough to cause me to,add any but it sure got my attention.

John
I've been told by a former tech with a Cummins Onan service center that was also a Spartan Service Center that a little "blue" locktite is sometimes used on the hub screws. I've had the leakage as u described and also snugged everything up. Haven't tried the locktite yet.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:06 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BodieJames View Post
Boomer, the Spartan Training Course is money well spent. We were there last October and the amount of topics and info. covered can be overwhelming. But they give you a binder that covers the topics.

If you donít mind can you as Big Mike a question for me? When I was there he stated that while it is a good thing to pull the air lanyards you can also do this:

First thing before starting the coach, push the foot brake all the way down, hold and turn the ignition key to ON. You should hear 6 sounds (pish). That is the system testing the air valves which also would blow out any moisture.

I do this at every start up. It also tells me all are working OK. If I only heard 4 or 5 sounds I would be concerned.

Can you see if this is the same as pulling the lanyards?

Does anyone else do this?

2018 DS 4369 K2.

Thanks,
Great time at Spartan Academy and yes I did ask Big Mike your question, after he through me out the door for asking, he stated the only thing that test does is check the ABS system. He was very emphatic with this.
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:41 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bchtravlr View Post
I used the Newmar Factory Service - Spartan Chassis list
Is this list available online somewhere? I might be searching for it by the wrong name because I could not find it. Thanks
DSBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:55 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridabill2 View Post
Is this list available online somewhere? I might be searching for it by the wrong name because I could not find it. Thanks
This is probably what he's talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lce3 View Post
Converted it to pdf which let me attach.

Attachment 227637
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 06:01 AM   #24

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Great time at Spartan Academy and yes I did ask Big Mike your question, after he through me out the door for asking, he stated the only thing that test does is check the ABS system. He was very emphatic with this.
Boomer, Thank You for asking. As you now know, a lot of info to absorb in the week long class.

757Driver, thanks for your post. It did clear up my confusion.
BodieJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:42 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
I had my Ventana on Spartan at cabin diesel dealing with oil and power steering leaks and three/six month lubricating. After that it went to discount for some warranty work.

I'm not sure if it was cabin or Coachlight, but one of them inflated my tires to 110 as well, and I lowered back to 85. Based on weight and load chart, I need to be at 80, and i added 5 for safety margin
Interesting about the power steering pump leaking. They replaced mine at the Spartan Academy inspection. Since we purchased around the same time I am wondering if it is a common issue
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:52 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Interesting about the power steering pump leaking. They replaced mine at the Spartan Academy inspection. Since we purchased around the same time I am wondering if it is a common issue
Geez, I see my original post got mangled by a phone auto correct "went to discount for warranty work" should have been "went to Coachlight."

In my case, they said they couldn't find any leaking from the pump or any lines, and that what they concluded (I'm not 100% convinced) is that the cause of the leak was that the flattish o-ring/washer at the top of the hydraulic fluid dipstick was missing. And that as a result, if it wasn't super tight, or if it vibrated loose, fluid escaped through that. That just seems really iffy to me that it lost that much fluid, but so far, I haven't lost anymore.

So, assuming I don't start losing fluid again, the two most likely scenarios are:

1. What they think, which is the missing o-ring caused it.
2. It wasn't fully filled from the factory, and not caught during PDI and I didn't check it (I could have sworn I did check it several times, but it wasn't in my normal oil/coolant check pre trip).

tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, maintenance, spartan, vent