Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2019, 07:05 PM   #1

Preventative Maintenance on Spartan Chassis was very valuable

The coach had a full chassis workover the yesterday, and I am so glad I did this.

1) I used the Newmar Factory Service - Spartan Chassis list, and gave it to the local authorized service center "Commercial Truck and Tire" in Fort Walton Beach FL. I easily paid 1/2 of what Newmar lists for costs.

2) They opened the hubs on the tires to lubricate, and discovered that several nuts had fallen off inside. I can only guess this was last done pre-delivery of Mar 2017.

3) They inspected all, and changed most fluides, and changed all filters. My air dryer was fine.

4) Interestingly, they inflated my rear tires (315's) to 110 lbs, as this is what they do for truck tires. At pickup, I had them deflate them back to the 85 psi, as recommended on the placard behind the drivers seat.

I feel very comfortable now, that I can travel 8-10K over the next few months, knowing that I have done all that I can do, to prevent chassis issues.
Bchtravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2019, 07:12 PM   #2

DS on Spartan chassis is a great way to travel.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:41 PM   #3

I had my Ventana on Spartan at cabin diesel dealing with oil and power steering leaks and three/six month lubricating. After that it went to discount for some warranty work.

I'm not sure if it was cabin or Coachlight, but one of them inflated my tires to 110 as well, and I lowered back to 85. Based on weight and load chart, I need to be at 80, and i added 5 for safety margin
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:55 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bchtravlr View Post
4) Interestingly, they inflated my rear tires (315's) to 110 lbs, as this is what they do for truck tires. At pickup, I had them deflate them back to the 85 psi, as recommended on the placard behind the drivers.

When I took the Spartan Academy training this past September, the pressure in the rear tires were adjusted from 110 down to 85 psi. The 85 psi was based on the weighing that Spartan did and using the tire manufacturer’s tire pressure recommendations. It wasn’t clear whether your pressure adjustment was based on the vehicle and tire manufacturer’s recommendations.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy013 View Post
When I took the Spartan Academy training this past September, the pressure in the rear tires were adjusted from 110 down to 85 psi. The 85 psi was based on the weighing that Spartan did and using the tire manufacturer’s tire pressure recommendations. It wasn’t clear whether your pressure adjustment was based on the vehicle and tire manufacturer’s recommendations.
Rear axle on the DS is 20,000, so figure 10,000 a side fully loaded.

He probably has the XZE or Z line coach 315/80 on the rear, both of which have the lowest PSI in the load chart as 85 and that's up to 11,680.

If running 110 PSI, that would be for loads of 13,380, which would put him more than 7,000 lbs overweight.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:19 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Going to Spartan Achademy in a couple of weeks, guess I should add wheel nut check to the already long list. A couple months early for 1 year service, but getting it done anyway. They have suggested the following:

Air filter change
Replace hydraulic spin on filter
Engine oil and filter change
Fuel filter changes
Drain and fill hub fluid (front & tag)
Rear differential change
Lube

Ride height, weighing and tire pressure done as part as academy.

Any other thoughts for a first time Diesel owner
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 04:29 PM   #7

No thoughts on what else to do, but please post a review of it. I don't think I can pull it off this year with work, but hoping to make it to the Spartan academy sometime next year.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:10 PM   #8

Good Info
I think my tires are at 100psi as they were when I got it from previous owner. I'll check the placard now.
I have had preventative maintenance done at local RV shop but never heard of the hub maintenance. Is that where they take off the tires and disassemble the hubs to lubricate/check for wear?
rowekmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:41 AM   #9

Spartan Chassis
Boomer, the Spartan Training Course is money well spent. We were there last October and the amount of topics and info. covered can be overwhelming. But they give you a binder that covers the topics.

If you don’t mind can you as Big Mike a question for me? When I was there he stated that while it is a good thing to pull the air lanyards you can also do this:

First thing before starting the coach, push the foot brake all the way down, hold and turn the ignition key to ON. You should hear 6 sounds (pish). That is the system testing the air valves which also would blow out any moisture.

I do this at every start up. It also tells me all are working OK. If I only heard 4 or 5 sounds I would be concerned.

Can you see if this is the same as pulling the lanyards?

Does anyone else do this?

2018 DS 4369 K2.

Thanks,
BodieJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:21 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BodieJames View Post
Boomer, the Spartan Training Course is money well spent. We were there last October and the amount of topics and info. covered can be overwhelming. But they give you a binder that covers the topics.

If you don’t mind can you as Big Mike a question for me? When I was there he stated that while it is a good thing to pull the air lanyards you can also do this:

First thing before starting the coach, push the foot brake all the way down, hold and turn the ignition key to ON. You should hear 6 sounds (pish). That is the system testing the air valves which also would blow out any moisture.

I do this at every start up. It also tells me all are working OK. If I only heard 4 or 5 sounds I would be concerned.

Can you see if this is the same as pulling the lanyards?

Does anyone else do this?

2018 DS 4369 K2.

Thanks,
Interesting, I assume you don't actually start the engine for this test.
I just added your question to my notes/questions for the academy.
Thanks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:30 AM   #11

It will be interesting to hear the answer. Seems like those are going to be two different things. That sounds like (since their are six) it checking an air valve at each brake pod, where when it comes to the lanyard, you have only three (or four if you have the safe haul installed) and those valves are at their air tanks.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:40 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We go to Spartan Academy in July. Thanks for the info!
crockdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:47 AM   #13

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Interesting, I assume you don't actually start the engine for this test.
I just added your question to my notes/questions for the academy.
Thanks
You are not starting the engine. Just turning the key to ON position while pushing brake all the way down.

Thanks,
BodieJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:49 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I believe that test does a test of the abs system. It does not do the job of the lanyard pul. Also make sure you release the parking brake unless you have an anti compounding valve as you could damage your brake system
jporietis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, maintenance, spartan, vent