RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2012, 09:07 AM   #1

Prevost Want-To-Be's Listen Up

I think Newmar has a pretty good quality control. That is, if you get a new rig it will probably work well, at least in the short term. So what about a Prevost conversion. Prevost chassiss are supposed to be the bee's knees, right?

Well, the other day we had an outing that was ctered to by a new Prevost coach (52 passenger bus) It was the second use for the brand new Volvo powered unit. It sported the new 12 speed ZR automatic shifting manual transmission. (I hate them in the Newell and no change of thought here)

The differential whined like a herd of elephant seals. A u-joint, or something in the running gear also made a sound like the whole thing was going to explode. If that's Prevost quality, or lack of quality control, they can keep it. A Spartan chassiss would never be delivered in that condition and even if it slipped by, Newmar would pick it up.

So, think twice before you beleive that more $ = + quality.

So thought you should know!

Peter

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2012, 09:16 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
I think Newmar has a pretty good quality control. That is, if you get a new rig it will probably work well, at least in the short term. So what about a Prevost conversion. Prevost chassiss are supposed to be the bee's knees, right?

Well, the other day we had an outing that was ctered to by a new Prevost coach (52 passenger bus) It was the second use for the brand new Volvo powered unit. It sported the new 12 speed ZR automatic shifting manual transmission. (I hate them in the Newell and no change of thought here)

The differential whined like a herd of elephant seals. A u-joint, or something in the running gear also made a sound like the whole thing was going to explode. If that's Prevost quality, or lack of quality control, they can keep it. A Spartan chassiss would never be delivered in that condition and even if it slipped by, Newmar would pick it up.

So, think twice before you beleive that more $ = + quality.

So thought you should know!

Peter
Bad things can happen to the best.
J

GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #3

Very true, anybody that thinks $$$ will buy you quality better have another think, definitely in the RV and the boating industry!
Old 01-03-2012, 01:07 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Happy New Year, Peter!

I know many consider Prevost the best. If I were to upgrade (no plans; love my Newmar) - it would be to a Newell, long before a Prevost conversion.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:57 AM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

I don't post here often, although I admittedly do lurk and read the Amigo's thread from time to time.... This one caught my eye for several reasons.

Peter, your original post refers to a 52 passenger bus, not exactly a "conversion coach" by any stretch of the imagination.... Apples to apples? Not hardly, and riding one bus chassis out of the hundreds on the road isn't exactly a "representative" opinion.....

Someone else mentioned that the Spartan folks would never let a chassis out with those issues..... Well, again I must digress. Having endured the whole "fan clutch" issue with respect to Spartan and their issues with NOT engineering the right fix for the issue until way down the road and many broken down coaches later, I'm not going to wave Spartan's flag either.
Granted, I don't think one can blame Spartan for all of my issues, but SOMEONE designed that fan clutch and put it into production for it to fail.

Now, if I ever get another coach it will not be a Prevost, I don't personally think they're worth the money, in this market especially.
But I don't think it's fair to armchair and lump ALL Prevost chassis into the same boat either....

By the way..... I happened to be in Stone Mountain GA at a rally when good old Mahlon's son limped into the campground with his then brand new King Aire.... So, even the owner of the company has issues.

Happy New Year to you all..... Just like Lane, I am enjoying my retirement from coach issues, but I've taken on Chocolate Lab puppy.....not sure which made me crazier.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:23 AM   #6

Good News for Potential Newell owners

Newell recently signed a contract with Tom Johnson RV in Marion and Concord, NC to be a sale and service location for new and used Newells. This is good news, because why would someone on the east coast buy an expensive Newell and then when things go wrong need to take it, or ship it, to Oklahoma?

Makes great sense.

Bill
Bubbabilly71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:39 AM   #7

Firstly, the only ones who seem to compare their coach to a Prevost are the non-Prevost owners. And, to take a random case of one, and slap a sign on it for the RV industry to hold up as an example is trivial nonsense. Secondly, Newmar does not deliver coaches that probably work well in the short term. Mine, during the first year, had lists of things wrong with it (besides the fan clutch), and I complained enough that Mahlon M called me to placate my concerns. Lastly, I think the complexity of more costly RVs has gotten to the point that any coach coming off the line today is going to have issues. Let's hope that the issues are merely ones of inconvenience and not safety.
soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:29 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Bubbabilly71 to irv2.
Enjoy the forums and do post often.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:11 PM   #9

Bob, Your reference to 100's on the road does not apply to the Volvo/ZF new combo. try a handfull or so. And yes I do expect less issues in a chassis that alone costs what a pretty good complete coach costs. Prevost makes far less chassis's per year than Newmar makes complete units. Don't even go the Spartan root. Spartan makes far, far more chassis than Prevost makes per year and this includes buses, MH's and any other application they build for.

And that's just the way it is!

Peter