Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2014, 06:22 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Probably a rookie mistake; six weeks of owning Coach now

I had an RV maintenance weekend. Started off with changing two 360 siphon exhaust vents and 30 minutes later done; very pleased at how easy that task was.
Next was generator maintenance for an Onan 10K quiet generator. Changed oil, air filter and all was good, then I remembered the fuel filter. (had not restarted generator yet) Changed fuel filter out and this is where my issues began.
First the generator will not start now, (it initially did start for a few seconds and sounded smooth, then died like it ran out of fuel).
I figured it might have air in it, so after sleeping on it, I take the fuel filter bracket off and loosen a fuel line, and air was released and there was also fuel there. Tried to start the generator, it cranked a couple of times and went dead. Started to investigate, and now even my keys within the ignition switch for Coach are dead as well. (At least now I know the generator and engine run for the same batteries) After further investigation, I can see no chassis fuzes that are blown.
So I decided my first course of action was to pull out two no maintenance free batteries. I am doing a slow two Amp charge. Good thing I pulled my batteries, my compartment and batteries needed cleaning. (Batteries are still out of Coach Charging)
Three questions from all this: 1.) Are the batteries the issues to look at first? My limited experience is that in car batteries when they are low still will show instrument lights but will not crank. The Coach had nothing everything was dead. Is that normal, they just die?
2.) I have the Coach plugged from the house for 20 Amps this past week; I was showing 13.6 amps charging batteries off of power management system before I tried to restart generator the next day; does that mean engine batteries do not trickle charge off of coach?
3.) Does air in the line sound reasonable why the generator would not restart? I could not find any information about priming.
(My Coach is a 2012 Dutch Star, two engine batteries and six Coach batteries. I did not try the Aux boost switch on drivers panel for blending engine and coach batteries, at this point I was afraid to create any more damage)
Any help appreciated!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2014, 06:44 AM   #2

It's a 2012. All batteries charge from engine alternator and shore power and this is managed by BIRD device and a solenoid. If engine batteries are weak and you were plugged for a week (pun intended) something is wrong with charge circuit. And yes, because you might have been cranking the gen a little more due to air pocket, this might have finished off the batteries.
When you put batteries back in the coach, measure the voltage across them. If they are charging you should get around 13.5. If not you need to take measurements around the BIRD...
Old 12-08-2014, 06:54 AM   #3

I assume your generator is diesel so you most likely lost the prime on the fuel pump with that slug of air. You might look for a priming pump on the fuel filter to restore a solid supply of fuel.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:02 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You probably do have air in the gen's fuel line. I'm sure there is information on how to bleed that line in your manual. For my Onan 10kw (a 2004) you hold down the stop button for at least 1 minute.
lymanlouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:37 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lymanlouis
You probably do have air in the gen's fuel line. I'm sure there is information on how to bleed that line in your manual. For my Onan 10kw (a 2004) you hold down the stop button for at least 1 minute.
lymanlouis has it right per the Onan shop manual. I would also double check to make sure you don't have a small leak around the connectors to the fuel filter allowing air into the system. Do you have more than a 1/4 tank of fuel in the coach? Anything less and the genset looses its fuel. I also suggest that after you charge the battery's you perform a load test on each battery before replacing them into the coach to make sure your battery's are still serviceable.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:52 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
How can I do a load test without installing them in the Coach?
Old 12-08-2014, 08:03 AM   #7

You would need to take them out to a battery shop.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:09 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Or http://www.amazon.com/OTC-3180-Batte...ry+load+tester , cheap enough, and better than hauling batteries around, especially if they are not bad.......
Walmart might have one in stock http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schumacher...ester/21642133
Old 12-08-2014, 09:18 AM   #9

Can you use one of these load testers while the batteries are still connected in the coach or does the battery have to be isolated ?

Bill
OC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:30 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Disconnect the batterie's and follow the instructions to load test them Bill.....

http://www.batterychargers.com/Docum...00437-0409.pdf

http://associatedequip.com/wp-conten...al_English.pdf

Just a couple of instruction manuals to look at......
Old 12-08-2014, 10:05 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Terry

Welcome to the Newmar world. Sorry you are having a problem.

Here's a couple of questions:
1) Have you ever run the generator, thus knowing it worked prior to your service?
If Yes, then the problem with the non-start is likely fuel.
If NO, then there's a much broader range of possible issues.

2) I'd bump up the charge rate on these batteries. Two amps will take an eternity to charge the Chassis batteries. Frankly the Inverter/Charger will do a fine job and you can easily confirm the DS's Charger is working by testing voltage with a voltmeter. 13.5+ volts would indicate they are charging.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:13 AM   #12

Did you fill the genset's fuel filter with diesel before installing it? If not, suggest you remove, fill, and re-install.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:36 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Did you fill the genset's fuel filter with diesel before installing it? If not, suggest you remove, fill, and re-install.
Just wondering if there is a trick to doing this pre-fill? The filters on most Onan/Cummins are mounted on their side........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel filter.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	80745  
Old 12-08-2014, 10:46 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Well the answer is holding down the generator "off" button for 1 minute which then primes the lines and re-fills the new fuel filter. I could of avoided battery issues had I known.