Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2014, 11:27 AM   #1

Problems when using fresh water tank

I tried to use water from my fresh water tanks and it did not work very well. I can hear the pump running then it shuts off. When I open a water faucet in the coach, the pressure is fine for the first 5 or 10 seconds then it goes down to a trickle. I hear the pump running and if I wait until it shuts off again, I will have pressure for another few seconds but then it will slow down to barley a trickle again. Could this be the sign of just a worn out pump or something else that I should check as well?
Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks!
Bryan
binspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2014, 11:49 AM   #2

Sounds like the pump can build up proper pressure but can't meet volume demand. First thing I would check is everything between tank and pump. Hose kinked, inlet screen on pump, blockage at outlet of freshwater tank. Try putting your winterizing hose in a jug of water and drawing out of it to see if it can meet demand
hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:07 PM   #3

Ok, I first tried to get the pump to suck water in from a gallon jug through the winterizing hose. No luck. Next I removed the inlet screen on the pump and it is clear. I even ran the pump with out the screen and put my finger over it and I felt no suction at all. This leads me to believe the pump is bad.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:21 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds to me like one of the following problems.

ONE (Most common) a kinked hose, or a partially open valve or a clogged strainer (either the tank outlet or the pump inlet) is restricting water flow, the pump bulids up pressure, the water heater acts like an "Acumulator" (Pressure tank) and provides pressure for the first gallon or so.

option two (happened to me) pump was sucking air. due to a screw loose on the pump body, NOTE this can happen anywhere on the inelt line.. I also had a water leak,, A bit of application of a driver and it was fixed.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:28 PM   #5

I looked around best I could and I do not see any leaks or kinks in the hoses. I disconnected the water line just before the pump and water is flowing from the fresh water tank down to the shut off valve. If I suck on the hose when valve is open, I get water all the way to the fitting that screws on pump.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:57 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Is the city fresh water valve turned completely to the city side of valve after filling the fresh water tank and is the outside shower faucet closed?
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:14 PM   #7

I don't have city water hooked up to the RV. The city side valve is in the off position and the fresh water fill valve is turned off. The outside shower faucets are closed. I turn the pump on and that's when I get a short burst of water but then it dies out. If I wait for pump to shut off, I get another burst. It seems like it cannot keep up the pressure while pump is running.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:17 PM   #8

Pump will not even pick up water through winterizing hose when I tried it.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:38 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to bnsonger47
If there is a kink, the pump won't pick up what it can't expel. Check to be sure there is no kink in the hose on the other side. If there is a kink it won't suck much because it can't.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:48 AM   #10

Spartan Chassis
Try removing the pump outlet connection to the RV and again using the winterizing tubing. If no go replace pump as you have then isolated it and it still will not pump. Good Luck!
shaman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:04 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
My pump on my old Winnie Froze up last winter...
Had to buy a new one for $65.00...
Installed a small muffin fan to push cabin air into the pump's area so it won't freeze up again...
I had to remove my fresh water tank to get to the pump...
Can be a hair puller but smile & keep at it...

KE5FTF...Bob & Kathy
Bmaintz8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water