RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2018, 09:26 PM   #1

Spartan Chassis
Procedure for a good cleaning of a Macerator

Is there a proven procedure out there that really cleans and sanitizes a Macerator? We all flush them and then re-flush them but what can be used to remove their lingering odors?
Our Dutch Star is only 6 months old and I have been very anal (LOL!!) in trying to keep it as clean as possible.
Anyone out there discovered a new way to make that bay smell like flowers?

gkonney is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2018, 10:07 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
You could drop a bouquet of flowers in the bowl and grind them up.

I've never seen a macerator that didn't clog up and need attention. Be prepared, have rubber gloves, a clothespin for your nose, and kind thoughts for whoever thought waste needs to be ground up. Oh, and gallons of biocide soap to clean up afterward.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:17 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Eat lots of fiber from fruits..

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:57 PM   #4

Make sure you use the flush cycle that uses more water.
We’re one year in, no clogs, smells, or any issues. Flush away!
Old 10-19-2018, 12:19 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Definitely don’t swallow seeds and pits

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:47 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
We had, and used exclusively, the sanicon turbo on our cornerstone for 2 and a half years. Never clogged or had any problems. My wife did use the Commando tank cleaner a few times a year, on top of the regular tank sanitizers. Worked great.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:29 AM   #7

Funny...
In preparation for getting our new rig, my buddy was telling me of a secret they discovered for his dad’s rig that had a bad tank odor problem; but not with a macerator.

They discovered that those Dawn w/Lemon dish soap pods work AWESOME. They drop one of those in both tanks, add some water, take a drive, dump, and have never had a smell sense!

Your Odor May Vary. ;-)
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 06:16 AM   #8
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There are some tips in the manual, but since you brought it up, I had a question about this from the manual...

I don't understand the part about flush three times to get all the water out of the macerator. Wouldn't any remaining odors in the black tank fill the RV?

7.1 Cleaning the toilet
To maintain the toilet’s original, lustrous appearance, use Dometic® Toilet Bowl Cleaner or other non-abrasive bathroom and toilet bowl cleaners . Please follow label directions .
Caution
To avoid damaging internal seals, do not clean toilet with abrasive cleaners, caustic chemicals, or lubricants and cleaners that contain alcohols or petroleum distillates .
7.2 Routine maintenance
MONTHLY
1 . Inspect toilet, plumbing, and plumbing connections, wires, and wire connections .
2 . Open and close all plumbing valves, including seacocks .
3 . Check in-line water filters and vented loops for blockage
YEARLY
Check water valve filter . Also check water valve filter if water flow into toilet becomes insufficient .
7.3 During extended periods of non-use
The macerator toilet and sanitation hoses should be protected if toilet will not be needed for an extended period of time (more than two weeks, especially in hot weather) .
1 . Flush toilet in “Normal” mode and add 4 oz . (118 ml) of liquid biodegradable laundry detergent (should NOT contain bleach or environmentally harmful substances) . Note: If using sea water for flushing, shut off power to sea water pump and add fresh water by pouring directly into the bowl during the flush cycle .
2 . Flush toilet at least five times .
3 . Turn off water supply to toilet .
4 . Flush the toilet without water . Repeat three times . (This procedure will minimize any remaining
water in the macerator pump .)

5 . Turn off power to the toilet .
If system will be subjected to freezing temperatures, please follow above procedure, and then winterize system as described below .
Old 10-19-2018, 07:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkonney View Post
Is there a proven procedure out there that really cleans and sanitizes a Macerator? We all flush them and then re-flush them but what can be used to remove their lingering odors?
Our Dutch Star is only 6 months old and I have been very anal (LOL!!) in trying to keep it as clean as possible.
Anyone out there discovered a new way to make that bay smell like flowers?
We have two in our Coach. The only use issue we had was when my wife accidentally flushed a bleach cleaning wipe. It still worked just vibrated pretty bad.

To keep it working fine use it. If you have two make sure you flush it every few days. We had ours at service for 6 weeks and the half bath toilet was acting weird. I believe the vacuume break needed some exercise.

Inside the macerator it's a stainless blade. Anything that goes down there gets ground up with a bit of clean water after. If you worry try a second flush, I think that's wasteful and not needed.

I also think that when you clean the actual toilet the cleaner you use will also give the maserator a cleaning.

The black tank smell you get from the ball type toilets is no longer an issue with the maserator type toilets. You have water sealing the system similar to a P trap. I wont have a coach without maserator toilets.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I've never seen a macerator that didn't clog up and need attention. Be prepared, have rubber gloves, a clothespin for your nose, and kind thoughts for whoever thought waste needs to be ground up. Oh, and gallons of biocide soap to clean up afterward.
I thought about getting one but that is my fear with a macerator - they WILL fail sometime and they will fail when you have to use it. How you plan to deal with it is up to you. I have a lot of buddys with macerators in their boats and all of them have had problems. Wasn't a pretty repair. I would bet that a lot of water is a part of the solution.

More water is the main solution to avoiding problems for us that use the regular dump methods - raise the water level in the bowl before doing your business and then do your courtesy flush. Then raise the water level before you flush the paper and such. You might want to fill the toilet bowl a bit and then flush again. Lots of water is the solution.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:05 PM   #11

I have had my rig almost 2 years now and it was almost 2 years old when I bought it. I have never had a problem. I have a low flush and a high flush button. I use low for #1 and high for #2. I have a bath and a half and use them both every day. I also pour a liquid sanitizer down into the black tank via the toilet every time I dump and flush. Before traveling I flush and add Dawn antibacterial dishwashing soap into the toilet and flush it into the black tank. When I get to where I am going I just flush out all the soap in the black tank. Never had any odor problems.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:14 AM   #12

Spartan Chassis
I would like to clarify that our TANK does not smell at all it cannot because of the trap system within our electric toilets. What smells it the "wet bay" area probably because of the bacteria that has collected inside of the Macerator. We never keep the black tank open, we let the gray water flow all of the time. We dump the black tank when 3/4 full then flush it well in an effort to keep the system cleaner. I think the Macerator does a nice job in completing the electric toilets efforts. It also pumps out both tanks quickly. This new generation smaller designed Sanicon Macerator for $1,000 might have some internal areas where bacteria collects...it is one nasty area.
gkonney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:09 AM   #13

The only time I've used a macerator was visiting my daughter. I had the portable one that attaches to the main drain. It worked great even though it had to pump about 75'. I would just do the black tank first, then the grey with a hefty squirt of dawn dishwashing liquid down the drain. Never had an odor problem, and it was used for over 6yrs.

Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace