Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2012, 12:49 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Product Report--Rear Trac Bar

Okay, I have a 2010 Canyon Star, 36' on a F53 frame, towing a Honda CRV. I just finished a 2600 mile trip, having installed the Trac Bar from Brazel's just prior to the trip.
I have to say this may be one of the best things I could have done for my coach from a handling stand point. We encountered just about every conceivable wind conditions possible. Side winds, head winds, tail winds, interstate driving with 18 wheelers blowing past.
My coach handled so much better than before the installation, it was amazing.

Just wanted to pass along my experience with this product. Your mileage may vary.
Newmarboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Newmarboy,
Thanks for passing along the information. Trac bars also work very well on DPs.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for the info Newmarboy I have had the rear track on all my coach's makes a big difference and less white knuckles every time.
Safe travels and enjoy your straight tracking coach.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:04 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Okay, as I reported, the rear trac bar made an amazing improvement. Now I am wondering about a front stabilizer (not sure of the proper name) that will take the wander out of the steering. It's much better after getting the front end aligned, but I think it can be better. Any suggestions on the right product. My coach is a 2010 36' Canyon Star on the F-53 chassis.

thanks,
Phillip
Old 04-21-2012, 08:12 AM   #5

Phillip,

Your Ford chassis has a solid front axle suspension with leaf springs, correct?. A track bar / panhard bar works on this type suspension, so you may want to consider one for the front. The improvement occurs by eliminating the leaf springs from controlling the side-to-side movements. As good as the leaf spring design may be, the track bar provides more precision for the axle location as the suspension moves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmarboy View Post
Okay, as I reported, the rear trac bar made an amazing improvement. Now I am wondering about a front stabilizer (not sure of the proper name) that will take the wander out of the steering. It's much better after getting the front end aligned, but I think it can be better. Any suggestions on the right product. My coach is a 2010 36' Canyon Star on the F-53 chassis.

thanks,
Phillip
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:50 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
George,

Thanks for the reply. I know I need something to help with this annoying steering issue. It's not really bad, just annoying to continually having to correct the steering. Having the front end aligned and getting the rear trac bar made a huge difference, just want too fine tune the front end issue.

thanks,
Phillip
Old 04-22-2012, 08:33 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Newmarboy - Curious as to what wheelbase chassis you have? My 2010 37' CS / F53 has never experienced any of the handling problems you describe in approx. 20K miles of driving with a toad all over the country on all kinds of roads, mountains and flats.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:20 PM   #8

Hi Newmarboy.
I also have a question about your experience. I have the Baystar 3202 and driving it in FL is easy enough but when I attached a toad to it this year I thought it became more difficult to keep going in a straight line. Do you have any before and after experience with a toad that could help me make a decision about getting a trac bar? Also do you have a ballpark figure about how much one of these things should cost to buy and install?
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:50 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
D,

Yep, when not towing, my 3641 seemed to handle fine, with little or no problems. As soon as I began towing it seems the problem with handling and wind issues (especially 18 wheelers passing) were a lot worse.
the track bar I chose was the one from Brazel's, the trac bar. I believe the cost was $469.00. Due to some time constraints, I didn't have time to install the bar myself before leaving on a 2600 mile trip. I had the trac bar installed at a local RV repair place and I believe the cost was $130.00.

I will say again that the handling with the trac bar was much improved on my coach after the installation. I have not however driven it without the toad since the installation, so I have nothing to report on that area. Other have said they did not see any significant difference when adding the trac bar, but I can tell you mine was very much improved.
As a side note, immediately after buying my coach, I did have the frot end aligned at a big truck shop, and that did help some, but not as much as the add on.

Hope this helps with your decision making.

thanks,
Phillip
Old 04-26-2012, 07:30 PM   #10

Hi Newmarboy:
Thanks for your input. I have been delaying the purchase because I heard it cost much more to install. I gues I will check around to see who does it in South FLA.
Denis
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:11 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Phil, what you may need with tow hooked up is added weight in your front compartments so with the added weight the tire foot prints on road surface will be greater for better tracking.
The added weight on rear from tow is lifting front wheels off road surface.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:17 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club

Thanks for the reply. I don't think the toad is adding any downward weight to the coach as I am towing 4 down. You are probably correct that the back of the coach weighs more simply due to the huge storage bays in the back of the coach. Although I try to keep it balanced out, I'm sure I carry too much stuff back there.

I do think that when towing I experienced the "tail wagging the dog" syndrome. Not sure if that's due to the towed weight or simply the air being passed over and around the towed when being passed by 18 wheelers and of course cross winds. Either way, the trac bar helped my coach significantly in both circumstances.

Hope this conversation helps others to decide whether or not to add this feature to their coach.

thanks,
Phillip