Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2019, 10:26 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Progressive Ind Smart Surge Protector 50-XL

Hi All! Newbie here again.

Since I have found my girl (2000 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3551, ISC 330 Cummins, Spartan MM, MH3000 Allison 6) I am trying to get her ready to take to Texas. I got her back from the Cummins Service Center yesterday, and today I'm trying to keep her alive. Right now it's -5, and in a few days it's supposed to be -10 in the day and around -30 at night. I've been just shutting her battery shutoff off, but today she wouldn't start, and neither would the generator (even though I drove home with 2 new AGM chassis batteries) I am trying to hook her up to the house to keep her batteries charged.

Since this is all new to me, I've been buying a lot of stuff. I have 15amp outlet in the garage. I have a 15amp 50' extension cord (10 gauge). I have 15 to 30, and 30 to 50 dogbones. And I have a Progressive Ind. SSP-50XL Smart Surge Protector.

That's all background.

Questions:
1) When I bought it I only looked for a 50am surge protector. I was looking at it just now, after I'd installed the cover for the female plug, and it says on the male plug "50A 125V/240V". Under the female plug it says 120/240V, 45 Amps, [3 other columns to research later], and IN (kA) 45. Did I get the wrong Surge Protector? Granted I'm confused, but I thought I understood that I don't want 125/240 and I did want 120V but not 240. What am I not understanding here?

2) Since I'm going 15->30->50amps, where do I put the surge protector? Just before the 50amps?

3) Is it ok to have all of this on the ground, if it snows? It's probably too cold to snow, but you never know around here anymore. I'm hoping the extension cord reaches all the way to the electric bay, but it may not. If it does, I'll put the dogbones in the bay with the 50amp cord. If not, they'll be on the ground, at least until I can find more 10 gauge extension cords. I went to Home Depot and they had exactly one.

4) Can I leave the chassis battery switch off while it is plugged in, until I get the batteries topped off?They will charge with the switch off, right?

5) Since I switched from wet batteries to AGMs at the Cummins Service Center, did I mess the charging up? The inverter/charger doesn't seem to be charging the chassis batteries, which is a shame because I actually know how to change modes from wet to AGM for it. Why have the batteries lost charge and thus nothing starts (it tries). The inverter is off and I have been switching the batteries off too, assuming they were fully charged but that's what I get for assuming cuz they aren't.

Ok, I think that's enough to go on with.

Thanks so much!
mnmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2019, 07:01 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I can help with the first couple, you did buy the right surge protector. Progressive Industries is a great choice, best warranty.

You plug the surge protector into the 50 amp dogbone and the coach plugs into the surge protector. I have a hard wired version just to make sure it never gets wet. Most people that I know with plug in versions to keep them off the ground.

Not familiar for charging systems on Dutch Star, I will leave that part for someone else.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:44 AM   #3

You said it wouldn't start nor would the generator. How wouldn't it start. When you tried each did they turn over at all? Did you hit start and nothing happen? Need more details.

You are in some really cold temps. No you have a engine block heater on that motor? If so, is it plugged in?
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:37 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
FLJOE, what I mean by 'wouldn't start' is that when I tried to turn the generator on, it cranked over chugging for about two seconds, then stopped turning over and had that running down sound. I had used the bottom half of the button to warm it, I heard the fuel pump pumping, but it only came close to starting one other time before I gave up. I wanted to charge my batteries with the generator.

So, being a newbie and not knowing for sure that the generator should start without the engine, I tried to start the engine. The gauges flip flopped, and when I turned the key, it was just the ur ur ur sound, never turned over. Tried several more times, but then checked the battery monitor and it said the batteries were only half full.

I got the RV in green bay wi, bought 6 new Michelen x line energy z tires, drove it to madison to take a day at the RV school that my inspector runs, and then parked it a few days at the Days Inn while I started picking up supplies. I've never owned an RV before, but I've been researching online for about 7 months. So I thought I knew pretty much what I needed.

On the second day parked, when I went out to the RV to start her, she wouldn't start then either, but I had killed my chassis batteries because I didn't know to turn the stereo completely off, nor did I turn the battery switch down by the inverter off. I got it started finally, thank you Coach-Net. The guys that came to jump it got it started, but told me that the starter had been frozen and they'd needed to hammer it to get it to go. Then I got a front alignment - the guys at Madison Springs told me they can't do rear alignments. Being a newbie I believed them.

On my way home, I stopped off at a Spartan/Cummins Service Center and got my fuel filter and water separator replaced (I had a red light on the dash that the previous owner said was fuel filter). Then I drove her home to Minnetonka, MN.

I'm telling you all this because I suspect one problem might be that the starter is frozen again, but I don't know what to do about that. I am going to let the batteries charge for a day, and try to re-start her.

I did have her completely serviced at my local Cummins Service Center, where I had the engine, transmission, and generator fully service, replaced the 4 cracking air bags and I replaced the 2 old wet batteries with 2 AGM chassis batteries. I also took care of a recall on the air compressor now she has a new air compressor. So she should start with no problems because she is in tip-top shape.

I did a run through with the tech to make sure all the fluids were topped up (I drove away from a car service once and they hadn't added the fluids - it was bone dry).

While it was there I asked them to check the starter to make sure it was in good working order, given it's previous frozen and hammered event. They said it was ok.

Oh, and when I plugged her into my home garage's 15amp outlet (gfi checked) via a 50' 10-gauge extension cord, thru a 15 to 30amp adapter, a 30 to 50amp adapter, the Progressive Ind Surge Protector (green and blue lights) to the 50amp service cord, I did hear the transfer switch in the electric bay whirring.

That's correct, right?

I didn't want to leave the adapters and surge protector on the ground, so I opened my car rear window, and all the adapters and the connector to the RV are on the back seat.

That's all right, isn't it? Window is still down.

Bet you are sorry you asked

Thanks for your help, it is deeply appreciated!
Cindy
Old 01-26-2019, 08:42 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
oh, and I plugged-in the cord hanging next to an outlet marked 'engine block' located in the electrical bay. I hope it was the engine block heater.