Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2016, 10:26 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Progressive Policy Premium up 20% from last year???

We're looking for advice on other insurance companies to compare rates...

If you are happy with your coverage and rates...please let us know what company you recommend.

Thanks in advance...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2016, 10:30 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
That's why I quit Progressive some years ago. They just progressively raised the rates for now reason.
Now have The Hartford through AARP for all the vehicles and house. Saved me over $1,000 a year on the motorhome alone and about $600 on the stick house over Pemco (who I'd been with since 1968).
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 12:16 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
My two cents worth

To the OP:
Last May, same thing happened to me, $2300.00 a year to $2900.00 a year. Early on when getting my first coverage USSA recommended Progressive and stated they have a agreement with Progressive to give USAA members a great competitive deal.

Fast forward, I get my renewal bill for $2900 and call Progressive and ask what is up with this increase. The lady on the other end stated that Progressive from time to time updates their algorithm and the state of Alabama had an increase in risk. Well I just about popped a gasket, because two years earlier State Farm made almost the same quote when I lived in Georgia.

I no longer have State Farm or Progressive. I will not discuss who I have now, but I found RV Insurance Companies by Googling. I spent the better part of a week researching. Well to my amazement, I found twice the amount of coverage over and beyond Progressive: a 250 dollar diminishing deductible not $500.00, RV replacement cost just to name two difference and for $1700.00 a year.

I will also add that I am no longer the guy that gets a renewal notice on any type of Insurance now, without looking for a better rate. I personally believe loyal customers that just renew their policy are the victims of paying more than is fair market. Also the Better Business Bureau was a great source to make up my mind about the number of complaints from customers. Finally, the company I finally went with had their share of complaints but also had customer satisfaction about claims filed and timeliness of processing; two critical factors desired by all insurance holders in the event of needing help.

For the record my only concern with State Farm and Progressive is rates being competitive. First Year was great, renewal time was not so great.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:31 PM   #4

I highly recommend Allstate. When I made my recent claim for the fan and radiator that were taken out by a rock on the Dalton Highway in Alaska, the adjustor (Skip) came over the next day, handled the repair, expedited shipping for replacement parts and I was on my way in less than a week. I only paid my deductible. Last year a bird flew into my windshield and they sent a repair person to the house to make the replacement in less than 2 days after I arrived home. ( I did call a week earlier to give them time to order the new glass).

For this exceptional service I currently pay less that $750 per year for a $1000 deductible policy.

Others may pay more because, as the adjuster noted, I have had all my car, home and motorhome insurance with Allstate for over 50 years. He wanted to shake my hand because I had the longest policy history of any customer of any company he had ever worked for so I may be getting preferential rates.

Disclaimer: I do not have stock or other interest in Allstate. My only affiliation is a very satisfied, long time customer with a great local office.

P.S. Over the years I have lost two agents. Both retired. I really like the stability in my insurance company.
APhotoWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 12:43 PM   #5

State Farm still works for me. I also carry an umbrella policy, 2 other cars and home owners, plus 2 other policies

When I get a quote for the same coverage for everything, State Farm is consistently less money.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:52 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
State Farm still works for me. I also carry an umbrella policy, 2 other cars and home owners, plus 2 other policies

When I get a quote for the same coverage for everything, State Farm is consistently less money.

I am glad you are happy. I was with State Farm for over 30 years, and several times had to stop my policy due to overseas commitments with the military. First part of my experience was a family friend and all was great. Joining the military, and every three or so years I moved to a new state, which caused a new agent. The agent you have may be the critical factor to your fairness and loyalty. Anyway, best of the same for down the road for you with State Farm.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:27 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
The best thing to do is to make your agent shop every darn year. Insurance companies by and large are pretty slippery.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 05:42 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Progressive usually gives a good rate for about three years and in the fourth or fifth year jacks up the premium. A good friend once told me, "insurance companies will never show you any allegiance, so why should you show them any". The point being, look around when the rates go up.

You can get a lot of recommendations here, but rates are different in every state and for every individual. Some like State Farm, but they are expensive where I live. I think if you were every in the military, USAA would be the best bet.

Shop around:
Geico
State Farm
Blue Sky
Farmers
Automobile Club
USAA
Mercury
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 06:35 PM   #9
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Nation interstate of Hawaii. Good rates. Great claims service. No complaints.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 06:59 PM   #10

I loved progressive but left due to rate increases. Had National General (Good Sam) for 2 years, cheaper, but was put off by poor service when I had a claim. Just went to gieco. About $50 more per year that National General. No claim yet.
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:49 PM   #11

I had Hartford for years covering car and motorhome but when I bought my Ventana they would not give me replacement cover for the motorhome. Checked with several companies and went with National General (Good Sam). No increase in premiums for 2 years but we will see what happens next time. I did have 2 claims with The Hartford so I now have some points that count against me, but I can't find out exactly how much extra that is costing me.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:18 PM   #12

I have Hartford AARP for 3 vehicles and home but when I got a quote for the motor home they wouldn't give Replacement Cost so currently on my 2nd year with Progressive. Will see what happens next renewal especially since I recently scratched up a compartment door on a pump island trying to squeeze into a crowed noon rush hour service station driveway.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:02 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have had National General (formerly GMAC) insurance for 14 years now on our RV and no major increases in payments. We haven't had any claims.

Get a Quote, Policy Login, Make a Payment
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 05:55 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Progressive usually gives a good rate for about three years and in the fourth or fifth year jacks up the premium. A good friend once told me, "insurance companies will never show you any allegiance, so why should you show them any". The point being, look around when the rates go up.

You can get a lot of recommendations here, but rates are different in every state and for every individual. Some like State Farm, but they are expensive where I live. I think if you were every in the military, USAA would be the best bet.

Shop around:
Geico
State Farm
Blue Sky
Farmers
Automobile Club
USAA
Mercury
USAA does not cover RVs, they farm out to Progressive, Military or not! I have USAA for cars and home, USAA just gave me back $87.00 for a "Thank you" as a customer.