Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2016, 08:02 AM   #29

OP reminded me I also want to have a Progressive EMS-HW50C installed by my dealer. Question to those that have the hard wired unit where is it installed? What bay? I see no room in the small electric bay with cord reel. Thanks.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2016, 10:36 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
Actually, surges are the least common malady you will ever run into. Most of the time it's low voltage. After that the dangers of open neutral (as stated by Steve) and high voltage are in the next category. Surges don't happen as often as one might think yet these "prote4ction Devices", such as the excellent Progressive EM HW S0C, are commonly referred to as surge protectors, even though they do much more.

Now if you have a good unit, such as the Progressive, in your coach and are putting the Autoformer before it and all you want to do is protect the Autoformer from a surge, then having this second inexpensive surge protector would accomplish that. However, the need for that is quite remote.
I'm about to buy the Progressive 50C for my Newmar. Prior to this post, I had never heard of an ''auto former'' . Guess I'm out of the loop.

For the past 8 years, I've camped at the same campground. I'd had a Surge Guard from CW hard wired and that was the extent of my interest in protecting my MH.

I've researched Hughes Autoform and it seems fine. The lifetime warranty on the Progressive 50C I'm getting makes the Hughes 2 year warranty seem lacking.

Is the Hughes the best I can do? Anyone have something better?
Old 08-02-2016, 11:26 AM   #31
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LK23 View Post
We have a 2017 Dutch Star 4369 on order. I plan to have the dealer install a Progressive EMS-HW50C surge protector before the transfer switch. Comments or concerns?

Rex

Good choice. I have the portable version. I like being able to plug that into the pedestal before exposing any part of my coach to a potential danger.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 02:11 PM   #32

I have my Progressive mounted in the electrical bay. It's mounted to the back wall at floor level. It doesn't take up much room. You just need enough room for the power cable to bend.
Aggiefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:01 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
It fits in the bay with cord reel

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
OP reminded me I also want to have a Progressive EMS-HW50C installed by my dealer. Question to those that have the hard wired unit where is it installed? What bay? I see no room in the small electric bay with cord reel. Thanks.
We have a 2015 DS and had the Progressive unit installed by the dealer. They put it on the back wall of that little bay that has the power cord reel. We got the progressive unit with the remote display and had the display mounted with adhesive tape to the side of a metal box on the side wall so it faces out.
lucyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:11 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Trip before last made me wish I had one.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dutch star