Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2016, 08:08 PM   #1

Progressive Surge Protector on Dutch Star

We have a 2017 Dutch Star 4369 on order. I plan to have the dealer install a Progressive EMS-HW50C surge protector before the transfer switch. Comments or concerns?

Rex
and: The Aviators: Stories of Helicopter Combat in Vietnam 1971-72
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2016, 08:18 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Excellent choice. Mine saved me from bad power once. More than paid for itself.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:45 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
You made the best choice. You'll be happy with he lifetime warranty, and he way it performs.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:52 PM   #4

Good choice, but I also added a Hughes Autoformer ahead of the Progressive to boast voltage in low voltage conditions. Low voltage is common in the Summer months.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:04 PM   #5

Couple years ago I had a coach with this brand of surge protector installed. The main board went out. Their tech support was very quick to help diagnose the problem over the phone. They very promptly overnighted a new board to me. They even gave me $100 towards having an electrician install the new board. I was very satisfied.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
CentILRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:18 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I wouldn't leave the dealer without it. Ours protected the coach on the first day we picked it up at Newmar, shutting us down due to a low voltage condition that occurred at Camp Newmar while the local power was being worked on post a lightning strike. Two days later when I landed in a campground in Virginia it detected an open ground on the campgrounds pedestal.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:39 PM   #7

Great product and company. I have the 30 amp model and it works great and usually protects us from low voltage. Haven't had it detect high voltage yet. Have had for three years. I would get the optional remote digital display. It can be mounted almost anywhere with the supplied cable. Shows current voltage, amps and cycles per seconds in rotating mode. Easy to check if you want to know what is going on. My main use is for monitoring my water heater recovery for 2nd & 3rd showers. With the water heater on both propane and electric it is easy to see when the amps go down when the electric element in the water heater shuts off. You are now ready to go for the next shower.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:00 PM   #8

I had the 30 amp and now the 50. I plug in with confidence that my coach is protected. Well worth the $$.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:14 PM   #9
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Love mine. Just make sure when you are plugged into 15amps that your AIR Conditioners are set to off and the magnum charger is set to 15 amp max. I found that the charger was drawing enough to drop the incoming voltage. The progressive did what it should have, disconnected. Set charger to 15amp input max and all was good. AC will try to start up on 15 amps. Normally you will trip the breaker. On the progressive it will disconnect and go into reset mode. 2 minutes later you repeat the process.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:19 AM   #10

Best investment you can make!
specmga1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:25 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Progressive Industries

Quote:
Originally Posted by specmga1 View Post
Best investment you can make!
Great product, fantastic customer service if you need them
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:56 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Consider having it installed AFTER the ATS. While is it very rare for the generator to cause problems with the electrical system, it does happen. My first coach had it that way and I miss that set up in this coach. BTW...Yes, that does mean your ATS is not protected and that is a personal choice. In my previous coach I carried a spare ATS.

Also, consider installing the remote switch and readout. I love the fact I have a readout in the power bay during hook up and then throw a switch to send readout information to my remote display in the coach.

As an example, last week there must have been some low power at the campground we were in and I was able to see that there was a PE error at some time while we were gone. It is also good to monitor the voltage to see if your location might suffer from low power and be prepared for it to be worse during peak temps when everyone is running 2-3 AC units.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:39 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Being in the sunny south...we usually fire up the genset as we approach our stop. Allow the genny to warm up...then add the rooftop ac...to start cooling the house.

While still on generator...I plug the shore power cord in. It does not power the coach as the genset has priority. I have the remote readout on the surge protector and it allows me to see the power condition on the pole. If the voltage is low...I hook up the hughes autoformer.

After setup.. we turn off the roof acs...let the generator cool down at bit at low power...then shut it off. At that point the shore power takes over. We then turn the ac units back on after having let them remain off for aboutabout 5 minutes to allow the refrigerant pressure to drop so the compressor doesn't have to work so hard to spin up again.

The system has done a great job of protecting our investment. We spent 4 nights on a Freightliner lot getting service. Thier voltage was horrible. It was a good thing we had the autoformer with us. Running rooftop air with low voltages puts additional strain on the units...they have to draw more amperage to make up for low voltages...and heat build up results. You can actually feel the heat when you touch your shore oower cord. The autoformer comes with a digital voltmeter that plugs into any wall outlet. We keep one in the half bathroom. In pass thru mode...even though the coach has an inverter...the shore power voltage is reflected on the outlet when connected. It's an easy way to see what voltage is available on that leg...and it makes a nice nightlight too.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:43 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

However, by installing after the transfer switch you now leave the transfer switch vulnerable to a hit. Personally, I think the odds of a generator power surge is much less than a shore power hit that could damage the transfer switch.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dutch star