Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2014, 08:24 AM   #1

Propane Detector strange behavior

Several nights ago my detector (Protector Series 2001) started chirping about once every 3-5 minutes. LED remained green and did not change to orange or red to indicate a gas. It has now done it several nights in a row and does not respond to any attempt to clear the air by opening the door or blowing air around it. Have cleaned it to remove any dust. To make this even weirder, when I turn the heat on (heat pumps) it stops and doesn’t start again all night. The only things that have changed in the rig is another adult here for a week and I finally used the foldout sofa bed – removed the plastic covering the mattress? Could it be venting some fumes that cause this? How can I stop it? Any ideas are welcome.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2014, 08:52 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Sounds like it needs a battery replacement...
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:49 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Most Newmar coach LP's work off 12v and fused with some that have a cut-off switch in display area when coach not in use.
If you have cleaned and check all connection for detector it may be defective and needs replacement.
If you have a dog or a air fresher auto dispenser its possibly setting it off.
Battery fumes has caused them to go off also.
In my signature below are three links for other information for your Newmar.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:09 PM   #4

Check the volts of your house batteries if they have dropped below 8 the alarm will go off.
cjhawk38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:22 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
Most Newmar coach LP's work off 12v and fused with some that have a cut-off switch in display area when coach not in use.
Same with my Damon, however the "Sounds like time for a battery replacement" still sounds sound.. Just a whole lot more expensive and a whole lot heavier than the AA's in my CO detector.

When it Smells explosive gas it SCREAMS, not a chirp at all but a SCREAM.

Chirping indicates an internal problem of which low voltage is the #1 most common problem.. Other problems are: Old age and other component or memory failure.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:35 AM   #6

I presume your Atwood 2001 is hardwired to the 12v dc batt in your coach. I suspect your sensor has aged out (new units are to be replaced after 7 years use.)

I just replaced my Atwood #2001 unit. To my knowledge Atwood no longer makes the 2001 and if you buy a "new" one you are getting old stock.

Atwood does make a replacement designed to be hardwired into your 12v. This new unit is a little bit physically smaller than the 2001. My new one came with a plastic adapter plate that covers the hole left from the 2001 unit. Note..... I called Atwood prior to ordering the replacement to confirm what I stated above. Sorry I just don't remember the new model number, but Atwood was very helpful explaining their replacement.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane