Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2013, 05:02 AM   #15

The fixed maximum liquid level gauge has nothing to do with filling a tank other than being a primary stop-gap in addition to the OPD which is part of the main filler valve. As Rotten-Red has mentioned above, the problem with a no-fill situation is either a faulty or stuck float on the OPD or the pump simply isnt creating enough pressure to push the liquid into the tank from the supply side.

I'm not a physics major, perhaps one can chime in on this. But my understanding is that regardless of tank pressure, liquid will always be able to flow into the tank as the supply tank, once coupled to the ASME or DOT tank will be at a greater or equal pressure (differential) provided the OPD is functioning properly AND the supply pump is strong enough to overcome gravity by moving the liquid from the supply tank to the tank being filled. Propane tanks can even be gravity filled (no pump) if the supply tank is positioned higher than the tank being filled, at obviously a much slower rate than if it's velocity is increased with a pump.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gocoffeer View Post
This air can block propane from entering the tank.

Depending on my mood when I read about "Air in the tank blocking the propane fro entering" I either Cringe or laugh.

As an idea it's very funny

That anyone would espouse it, Very sad.

Propane is pumped in at well over 100 PSI, I have seen supply side pumps with pressure gauges that had many hundreds of pounds pushing it.. A bit of air in the tank may cause issues when you light the stove.. But air is highly compressable... Less you can convnce me it can enter the tank at 1,000 psi (HINT, the normal air pressure is about 14psi) that is NOT the problem, ever.

The reason a new tank is purged is because the mix of air and propane that would otherwise come out can cause issues with the burners,, Flame outs and such.. NOT because the air in the tank will prevent filling, In fact to purge they partially fill
Old 12-21-2019, 08:00 PM   #17

Rv tanks and controls are not exclusive to rv world.
They cover the whole propane field.
If me i would replace all 3 components. One has failed my luck has been if only change one some where in the system one is as old as the bad part and can fail next. I'll bet you can buy all 3 parts for less then $200
in a system best to replace and start fresh when it is convenient not in a park, rest area or overnight at walmart....rev, bob
GOODFUNGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 09:06 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Could your LP gas switch got turned off by mistake if you have one. That would prevent the flow of propane to any propane apparatus in your RV. Do any of your other propane devices work?
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 09:26 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Depending on my mood when I read about "Air in the tank blocking the propane fro entering" I either Cringe or laugh.

As an idea it's very funny

That anyone would espouse it, Very sad.

Propane is pumped in at well over 100 PSI, I have seen supply side pumps with pressure gauges that had many hundreds of pounds pushing it.. A bit of air in the tank may cause issues when you light the stove.. But air is highly compressable... Less you can convnce me it can enter the tank at 1,000 psi (HINT, the normal air pressure is about 14psi) that is NOT the problem, ever.

The reason a new tank is purged is because the mix of air and propane that would otherwise come out can cause issues with the burners,, Flame outs and such.. NOT because the air in the tank will prevent filling, In fact to purge they partially fill
^^^What he said.
Old 12-22-2019, 09:34 AM   #20

Seeing as this post is 17 dys old surely you have resolved your ptopane tank filling issue by now.

Care to enlighten us as to the problem/fix????
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 09:58 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Seeing as this post is 17 dys old surely you have resolved your ptopane tank filling issue by now.

Care to enlighten us as to the problem/fix????

X2. Inquiring minds would like to know.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 07:04 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

Second: On motor homes, I, and others, have had the emergency cut off on the propane station's pump tripped, Happened to me twice, once mid fill (That was last week by the way).

: Stuck
I'm fairly certain that is what happened to me today. Mobile gas came out to fill my completely empty tank and it would not fill. The hose would fill to the tank, but not go in. Release valve open. Very little pressure left in the tank. Could release the gas in the fill tube, but it won't go in the tank.

So how do you reset the emergency shutoff valve, which appears to be just inside the tank on the feed line?
04 Monaco DST 40'-Cum330ISC/Onan7.5K Gen/Silverleaf VMSpc/Garmin760MLT/WeBoost 4GX-OTR/EEZ Tire Mon/ReadyBrake->Rdmstr->'21 Jeep Glad Dsl/17KWh LFP/RO House Water/2400W solar roof/Victron MPPTs-Cerbo/Magnum 3000 Hybrid Inv-Chrg/Starlink ROAM
gsgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 07:24 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsgriffin View Post
I'm fairly certain that is what happened to me today. Mobile gas came out to fill my completely empty tank and it would not fill. The hose would fill to the tank, but not go in. Release valve open. Very little pressure left in the tank. Could release the gas in the fill tube, but it won't go in the tank.

So how do you reset the emergency shutoff valve, which appears to be just inside the tank on the feed line
?
Emergency Shutoff Valve is part of the LP Vendors System...not your motorhome LP System

LP Tank Fill Valve has an Internal Check Valve .....Vendors pump pressure Opens the check valve so liquid propane can flow into tank
Fill Valve connection Inside the tank has an OPD (Overfill protection device----Float that rises/lowers dependent on liquid level)
Float rises to 80% Liquid Level and shuts off filling process
*Secondary Means....should not be used as primary --the Fixed Level Guage (Bleeder Valve) should be cracked open when filling.
Vapor comes out until liquid level reaches 80% then liquid will spit out bleeder and filling should be stopped

Suspect your Fill connection Check Valve is sticking closed or Vendors pump pressure is low/weak
Old 02-26-2022, 05:38 AM   #24

Quote:
Emergency Shutoff Valve is part of the LP Vendors System...not your motorhome LP System

LP Tank Fill Valve has an Internal Check Valve .....Vendors pump pressure Opens the check valve so liquid propane can flow into tank
Fill Valve connection Inside the tank has an OPD (Overfill protection device----Float that rises/lowers dependent on liquid level)
Float rises to 80% Liquid Level and shuts off filling process
*Secondary Means....should not be used as primary --the Fixed Level Guage (Bleeder Valve) should be cracked open when filling.
Vapor comes out until liquid level reaches 80% then liquid will spit out bleeder and filling should be stopped

Suspect your Fill connection Check Valve is sticking closed or Vendors pump pressure is low/weak
The vendor didn't know motorhomes, but are large tanks he stated there can be an emergency shutoff as a part of the fitting where the hose goes into the tank. We could charge the hose between the vendor connector and tank. I could push on the check valve and get a short burst of gas coming back out from the hose, but it stops quickly even though there is a little pressure still in the tank.

I guess I have to assume that the float is stuck....assuming that is connected to the fitting of the inlet hose. I wanted to completly empty my tank and I ran it until all the gas was used. Tried tapping on the inlet fitting with the rubber handle side of the hammer, but still it is closed.

If the only option is the float, how do you unstick it?
04 Monaco DST 40'-Cum330ISC/Onan7.5K Gen/Silverleaf VMSpc/Garmin760MLT/WeBoost 4GX-OTR/EEZ Tire Mon/ReadyBrake->Rdmstr->'21 Jeep Glad Dsl/17KWh LFP/RO House Water/2400W solar roof/Victron MPPTs-Cerbo/Magnum 3000 Hybrid Inv-Chrg/Starlink ROAM
Old 02-26-2022, 01:17 PM   #25

Tank empty....unscrew the Fill Valve
Old 02-26-2022, 01:34 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstbu View Post
He had trouble with a couple other coaches in the park today, but got everyone else's to work. But mine won't take propane, like its full, but its not.
If you've not had problems before, I'd look at your vendor's pump pressure.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 06:57 AM   #27

Quote:
Tank empty....unscrew the Fill Valve
I read in some cases that the float could be difficult to remove unless the tank was removed and the fitting was rotated to be at the top. That way the float would dangle vertically. Have you removed this before? Is there s a special pipe thread application for propane?
Old 02-27-2022, 07:04 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
If you've not had problems before, I'd look at your vendor's pump pressure.
That was my initial guess, but the pressure and safety valve are right where the vendor hose attaches. After hooking up and turning on, it would quickly stop. Removing the vendor hose, we could force back the check valve and get a quick burst of gas coming back out...about the amount that charged the 4' long hose from the valve to the tank. Once that burst came out from the hose, there was nothing more. However, the bleeder valve could be opened and showed that the tank still had a little bit of pressure left in it. So, there is little doubt that the pressure is being stopped at the end of the fill hose and at the tank.

It sure would be nice if I didn't have to drive somewhere far away and try to get someone that might know how to fix this for a lot of money if it something I can do myself with the right materials.

Sounds like I need to try to remove the fitting where the fill hose enters the tank. Would like to confirm or reject the idea that I may have to remove the tank and rotate it so the fitting is at the top for the float can be removed.

Tags
propane, tank