Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2019, 07:33 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Cool Proper use of Air Horns

So who here admits...wouldn't you just love to hit your horn when driving by a group of road workers circled around chatting on the side of the road? How about that person holding the stop/go sign in construction? Or the person doing the weed eater at the edge of the road as you pass by. Or....come on.

The next question is, can a stop sign be a tool for an olympic javelin event? Or a weed eater for that matter? Do you have to take into account length of your coach from air horn back to foot/fist imprint?

Asking for a friend...teaching him/her to practice restraint.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2019, 07:40 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
My air horn's are just used to wake up stupid driver's in front of me that do dumb thing's. They are very loud ! I would think they would Startle worker's along the road.............
Old 01-12-2019, 07:42 AM   #3

I am from the north east the horn is a form of communication. Abruptness, duration and frequency all mean something. The issue with me is when we get south of New Jersey people feel a horn is only something that you use to notify someone you have arrived and they should come out for their ride.

My wife cuts me off, she see's it coming and says dont do it... When a light turns green I give 3 to 5 seconds for the car to move. If not I start with a short beep wait a second or two then a long beep until the person moves. In the Carolinas if you wait 10 seconds and then tap the horn you would think you just punched their mother!

Now I wouldn't blow my horns in a construction zone. A group may be standing around but also there may be one actually working that you may scare.

Weed whacker guys are fair game.

I also like extended underpasses, blow your horn and watch the birds scatter!
Old 01-12-2019, 07:49 AM   #4

How about I blow a loud horn when your head is under your hood. That will be funny.

I'll even offer you a bandade for the cut, when you smack your head on the hood latch.

IMHO it takes a certain type to blow horns to needlessly scare working folks.

Maybe add Cops and EMS workers to the list.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:50 AM   #5

I would not use horns in the event in might provoke a road rage response. You never know who is out there!
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:57 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
When I installed airbags on my dually I added a compressor and tank. Since there was so much room in the dually fender I felt obligated to install the largest triple trumpet horn I could find. Best. Thing. Ever. The first time I fired it off in anger made it worth every penny.

One of the funniest abuses I’ve seen of an air horn was a little Honda Civic. We were standing in line for a summer blockbuster. I can hear the compressor running on the civic as it waited to leave the parking lot. The exit path took cars right past the giant line of people. The civic unleashed the loudest air horn I’d heard to that point in my life as it drove past the crowd. 300 people levitated in unison.

Air horns are not toys. Never ever honk it at your wife’s friend as she is walking to her car while you drive by, making her stumble. You’ll get no joy out of that. For reference the over under on that was about 60 feet. That gives you about 15 feet past the sign holder as you drive by.

Doing the math at 30 mph you’re going 44 feet/sec. factoring 3/4s of a second for reaction and response time, you’ll easily have the back of your coach 45-50 feet away from the would be javelin thrower. Assuming he can toss that thing at Olympic javelin speeds of 60ish mph, you stand a good chance of outrunning the stop sign.
Alex00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:11 AM   #7

I'm with Palehorse. It's for the dumb drivers. But, I want a train horn, and, the bell for when it says, I'm starting to move. Very cool.

Try this for your morning enjoyment, LOL.

https://kleinn.com/730-2/
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:19 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Only had to use the horn a few times while driving. We camp with a friend who has a 5th wheel toyhauler. He also added air bags, air compressor and large tank. What does he do, add some super loud air horns and then became infatuated and did the same on his golf cart, just on a smaller scale. I told him you are going to hurt someone by them flinching and throwing out a back etc. But it was a kick when he was chased down and pulled from his golf cart, by someone not amused at his prank. Hopefully he has learned his lesson!
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
So who here admits...wouldn't you just love to hit your horn when driving by a group of road workers circled around chatting on the side of the road? How about that person holding the stop/go sign in construction? Or the person doing the weed eater at the edge of the road as you pass by. Or....come on.

The next question is, can a stop sign be a tool for an olympic javelin event? Or a weed eater for that matter? Do you have to take into account length of your coach from air horn back to foot/fist imprint?

Asking for a friend...teaching him/her to practice restraint.

When I was working the road as a Trooper in Illinois there was a little used traffic law restricting the use of a horn. I would have certainly used it if I ever witnessed someone driving a large MH pass workers on the side of the road and blast them with an air horn trying to be funny or making a statement.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:24 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Lol, too funny guys.

On a more serious note who out there has it in their shutdown and start up sequence to turn it off when you arrive and back on when you leave?

I admit to forgetting to turn it off and inadvertently blowing it in the campground once or twice. [emoji15][emoji9][emoji18][emoji4][emoji5][emoji9]

John
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:31 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steele View Post
Lol, too funny guys.

On a more serious note who out there has it in their shutdown and start up sequence to turn it off when you arrive and back on when you leave?

I admit to forgetting to turn it off and inadvertently blowing it in the campground once or twice. [emoji15][emoji9][emoji18][emoji4][emoji5][emoji9]

John

This makes me laugh. My daughter and I attended a RV show a couple years ago to look at Newmar prior to ordering. She was sitting in the drivers of a Ventana and accidentally laid on the air horn. Dave Garl was amused and then admitted that they purposely turn them off at shows to prevent such things from happening. Oh and it was an indoor show too!
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:32 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steele View Post
Lol, too funny guys.

John
I've scared myself multiple times trying to open a lifesaver while driving. It's very sensitive on my coach. I launched a lifesaver once from this dang thing! Rest both forearms on the steering wheel and off it goes.

P.S. Others - If you can't find humor in this thread, run along....
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:37 AM   #13

I have an onboard Viar compressor (no air bags) on my F350 Dually Diesel CrewCab. The triple air horns are mounted under the truck and I have a 12V wireless relay to activate the solenoid valve to put air to the horns. It's similar to a car/truck key fob and it controls just the air horn. Many times I keep it in my hand or laying where I can easily reach it when driving in heavy traffic for the "just in case" moments of another driver's exercise of stupidity in front of me. The OEM horn was never modified and works as normal, and I will use that when needed, but if I really need to get someone's attention quickly, the triple trumpet does the job effectively. Many states have varying laws in regard to air horn usage on regular cars and trucks, so beware of how that works. Bottom line is I would rather use it if really needed, and risk a ticket vs. not using/having it and getting into an accident. I have to admit though, there have been a few times that I would love to have blasted it just for fun, but thought better of actually doing it. Responsibility and restraint for it's use should be a given, but sometimes I have to just give it a blast when I'm driving somewhere and away from other vehicles/houses/etc.......just because I like doing it!
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:40 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Kids with a horn meet a cop

You know what happens when the cop looks under the hood at 2:08

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air