RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2019, 05:10 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post

TJ

Prov. 3: 5-6
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2019, 05:31 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_Watkins View Post
I have a full wall slide and my manual says to level the coach before extending and retract before retracting the leveling legs.

Seems like the Coach is in the best, most stable position to operate the slides when it is level and stable on the jacks.
The factory instructions (Post 4) have the last words being,
"Important IMPORTANT
In the unlikely occasion that the slideout trim has inadequate clearances, try leveling or repositioning the coach and rechecking the clearances before extending the slideout."

If a coach is perfectly level, it probably doesn't make a lot of difference, but if there is any leaning whatsoever, deploying the jacks brings the body back to level and this reduces stress on the slide mechanisms.

If jacks are retracted and if that creates a leaning situation, then bringing the slides in becomes stressful on the mechanism, too.

I can think of no situation that would logically suggest that slides be first, then jacks.

Old 04-18-2019, 06:50 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
The factory instructions (Post 4) have the last words being,
"Important IMPORTANT
In the unlikely occasion that the slideout trim has inadequate clearances, try leveling or repositioning the coach and rechecking the clearances before extending the slideout."

If a coach is perfectly level, it probably doesn't make a lot of difference, but if there is any leaning whatsoever, deploying the jacks brings the body back to level and this reduces stress on the slide mechanisms.

If jacks are retracted and if that creates a leaning situation, then bringing the slides in becomes stressful on the mechanism, too.

I can think of no situation that would logically suggest that slides be first, then jacks.
Just curious, did you forget to update your signature? What model/year of Newmar do you own?
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:53 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamaliel Kid View Post
I just traded for a 2018 Ventana 4369. I have been previously told the correct way to extend the slides was to put the slides out, then dump the air bags and level the coach. When you are ready to take them in, level the coach by filling the airbags and then retract the slides. I was told this info was from the factory. Is still the correct procedure - if you do it differently was it because of instructions from the Newmar factory?
You are doing it correctly. Slides in or out while on air, not on jacks. While we were at the factory last year the techs were using this same procedure on 90% of the coaches inside.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:59 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
Just curious, did you forget to update your signature? What model/year of Newmar do you own?
If you think that the slide/leveling discussion is brand-specific, your thinking is flawed, but I like reading threads that interest me, regardless of brand.

The comments that allow air bags to level a coach (instead of jacks) are good ones, and serve the same purpose as jacks.

That theory is valid across the board...and I prefer using jacks to keep my coach level because that puts less strain on the up-hill airbags when on a sloped pad.

What did the factory guys say about that?
Old 04-19-2019, 06:40 AM   #20

Quote:
If you think that the slide/leveling discussion is brand-specific, your thinking is flawed, but I like reading threads that interest me, regardless of brand.
With all due respect, there is a difference between electrically actuated slides and hydraulic slides. Also Newmar slides recess into the body of the coach instead of overlap so there is the issue of having a gap clearance when deploying.

Prov. 3: 5-6
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:28 AM   #21
TDL

A quick note. If you pull into a site, turn engine off and then leave it set for some extended period of time, there will likely be leakage in the air bags. This can lead to slight twisting. Having had this happen, we now restart engine and allow bags to fill back up. The amount of air leakage is coach specific.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:56 AM   #22

Quote:

The comments that allow air bags to level a coach (instead of jacks) are good ones, and serve the same purpose as jacks.

That theory is valid across the board...and I prefer using jacks to keep my coach level because that puts less strain on the up-hill airbags when on a sloped pad.

What did the factory guys say about that?
I never said discussions about slide/leveling is brand specific. But I admit my thinking has been known to be flawed about numerous things over the years, so you have me there.

What I am saying is that THIS Newmar discussion about certain late model coaches is specific and your information/opinion is wrong. I certainly don't agree that your theory is "valid across the board" because there are older Newmar coaches that do put the jacks down first then level.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:53 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
They also say to have it plugged into shore power or have the generator running when pushing out/in the slides... although I am not entirely sure why. I admit that I have pushed the slides out without 120 power at times...

I guess it is to make sure you have power and not have the slides stop half way in or out...

richpatty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, vent, ventana