Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2015, 07:42 PM   #1

Purchased 2016 Dutchstar 4369

I purchased a 2016 Dutchstar 4369 from a dealer in Texas on Nov 17th. I drove the unit to Indio,ca in 2 days. I have more issues than I could imagine. The 2 large slides aren't flush at bottom outside. The dishwasher will not open ,slides in or out. I am concerned that the new slider system has some major problems. When I called the dealer in Indio about repairing the issues the service manager said he couldn't touch it for 90 DAYS. The salesman there had told me that if you don't buy from them you go to the bottom of the list. I called the factory and Rick got on the phone and called at least 7 repair facilities and it was at least a 60 day wait. I told him that wasn't acceptable. H found a dealer in Manteca, ca about 500 miles away and made an apt for Nov 24th. I drone to dealership only to be told we aren't doing any Newmar repairs because we havn't got our warranty agreement signed. He wasn't helpful at all. I called the factory and talked to Mike and he said we will do what it takes to repair the unit. I told the service manager that I would pay for repairs and deal with factory. He was still reluctant to do any work. I love the unit it drives and rides awesome. I recently sold my 2015 Thor Tuscany XTE 40' and it didn't have near the issues. DID I MAKE A MISTAKE! I realize that you have to get bugs out. I owned several auto dealerships for over 40 years. I understand how dealers feel about the factories. The dealer I bought from didn't road test ,had to go back and have a few repairs before I left. The dealership did not even have a manager come out and thank me for my business after spending over $300K. Wow. Has anyone had issues with the new sliding mechanism's? Would love your input!!
pgturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2015, 07:52 PM   #2
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Purchased 2016 duchstar 4369

Maybe I can help on the dishwasher. You have to have the power button ON in order to open the drawer.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 09:49 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgturner View Post
I purchased a 2016 Dutchstar 4369 from a dealer in Texas on Nov 17th. I drove the unit to Indio,ca in 2 days. I have more issues than I could imagine. The 2 large slides aren't flush at bottom outside. The dishwasher will not open ,slides in or out. I am concerned that the new slider system has some major problems. When I called the dealer in Indio about repairing the issues the service manager said he couldn't touch it for 90 DAYS. The salesman there had told me that if you don't buy from them you go to the bottom of the list. I called the factory and Rick got on the phone and called at least 7 repair facilities and it was at least a 60 day wait. I told him that wasn't acceptable. H found a dealer in Manteca, ca about 500 miles away and made an apt for Nov 24th. I drone to dealership only to be told we aren't doing any Newmar repairs because we havn't got our warranty agreement signed. He wasn't helpful at all. I called the factory and talked to Mike and he said we will do what it takes to repair the unit. I told the service manager that I would pay for repairs and deal with factory. He was still reluctant to do any work. I love the unit it drives and rides awesome. I recently sold my 2015 Thor Tuscany XTE 40' and it didn't have near the issues. DID I MAKE A MISTAKE! I realize that you have to get bugs out. I owned several auto dealerships for over 40 years. I understand how dealers feel about the factories. The dealer I bought from didn't road test ,had to go back and have a few repairs before I left. The dealership did not even have a manager come out and thank me for my business after spending over $300K. Wow. Has anyone had issues with the new sliding mechanism's? Would love your input!!
Now you are experiencing what a bad dealer does to you. Little to no pre-delivery and what pre-deliver was done was done by the lot boy most likely. Did you have an orientation on how the systems work? If so they should have showed you how to open the dishwasher. On one of these new units it should take all day to make sure everything works and if it doesn't leave it until it does.

Things will work out eventually but getting service down south this time of year will be a long wait. Come to Oregon this time of year and you can deal with rain and cold but you can get service. Good luck, Randy
Old 11-28-2015, 09:56 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our 2002 DSDP was at the dealers for 113 days out of the first 305 days of ownership and that was the dealer we bought it from. They kep claiming it was Newmars fault for not shipping parts. But when I got the State involved they claimed they had called us numerous time to pick it up. But I could easily disprove that as our phone records every call made to us whether we pick up or not. And NOT ONE call showed up during that time.
Anyway, long waits for service are not exceptional but Newmar will work with other shops to get the repairs done.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 12:09 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

So sorry for the troubles. Seems too often the sign of the times...every maker seems to be pushing as fast as they can to meet demand.

The key to warranty service seems to be documenting every conversation, promise, and date discussed by phone or in person...include name and date.
And, involve the factory (by phone and/or e-mail)...there are so many horror stories here about dealerships playing the customer with tales of unresponsive factory customer service staffs, only to find the factory was not contacted or not fully informed.
Warranty repairs are often not priced at full retail, so the service centers have less incentive to help...especially when their sales team did not make the sale (purchase elsewhere).

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 08:05 AM   #6

Sorry to read about your troubles. It even worse when you get an inept dealer and can't find a good one.

Tell us more about the dishwasher, maybe we can help with the little things.

Did you check the plug? Should be under the sink.

The have to be on stumped me at first, I was just new to that style.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:00 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
NewMar should pay for you travel expenses to the dealer and be careful about paying for repairs unless NewMar authorized the charges! They reimbursed me for travel to and from Alabama to factory....
2011 Dutch Star #4344 - 2014 Buick Enclave W/Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar and base-plate
SMI Air Force One brake
Terry43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 03:48 PM   #8

First let me say Congrats on your new Dutch Star. Funny how customers purchase in different states than their home state. You purchased in TX and live in CA. I purchased in Moorpark, CA. and live in TX. We have the same floorplan.

Sounds like you may have gotten the answer for your dishwasher. Now on the bottom of the slides not being flush. Without a picture I can not say for sure but a small variance sometimes happens. If it's only out 1/2" or so it may be just the way it is. More than 1/2" then a simple adjustment by a tech can get it aligned to your liking.

Be sure whoever you use gets approval from Newmar prior to any work. Newmar usually will authorize non Newmar dealers and mobile techs to do warranty work. But only after they get Newmar approval.

My slides have worked great so far and the new FWS is wonderful.

Wish you happy travels.
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:00 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by osok View Post
First let me say Congrats on your new Dutch Star. Funny how customers purchase in different states than their home state. You purchased in TX and live in CA. I purchased in Moorpark, CA. and live in TX. We have the same floorplan.

Sounds like you may have gotten the answer for your dishwasher. Now on the bottom of the slides not being flush. Without a picture I can not say for sure but a small variance sometimes happens. If it's only out 1/2" or so it may be just the way it is. More than 1/2" then a simple adjustment by a tech can get it aligned to your liking.

Be sure whoever you use gets approval from Newmar prior to any work. Newmar usually will authorize non Newmar dealers and mobile techs to do warranty work. But only after they get Newmar approval.
My slides have worked great so far and the new FWS is wonderful.

Wish you happy travels.
We were at Lindstroms a couple of weeks ago talking to Tom about ordering a DS, he showed us a Ventana that had been traded in by someone from Texas. This Ventana had chrome steps leading up in the coach, was this possibly your trade in? I want steps like these when we order our DS. I know these are after market as there is nothing on the order sheet about steps.
Benicia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:09 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
The dealership did not even have a manager come out and thank me for my business after spending over $300K. Wow.
You didn't happen to purchase from Holiday World in Katy, did you?
SWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by osok View Post
CA and TX have some of the toughest lemon laws imposed on motorhome dealers. But the respective laws require the buyer to purchase the motorhome within the state, the motorhome to be licensed within the state and relating taxes to be paid to the state for the lemon laws to be applicable.

Both of your dealers are now exempt from their respective state lemon laws so you're both now stuck with the very lax federal motorhome lemon laws. Might be why they'll give "an out of stater" a better deal...
capoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:36 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicia Tom View Post
I want steps like these when we order our DS. I know these are after market as there is nothing on the order sheet about steps.
There is at least one place that advertises in the FMCA magazine that makes stainless plates like that. I'd like some for our rig too. They are expensive though.
Here's one:
www.rvstainless.com
800-329-2958
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:47 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
There is at least one place that advertises in the FMCA magazine that makes stainless plates like that. I'd like some for our rig too. They are expensive though.
Here's one:
www.rvstainless.com
800-329-2958
Thanks Mr. D
Benicia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:57 PM   #14

The more I read about the NEW issues, the more I love my Old School Coach!

Tags
purchase