RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2017, 10:45 AM   #1

Purchasing a used Newmar gas coach advice

Hi,

I am on the market for a 5-7 year old Newmar gas coach. I have a good relationship with a Newmar dealer 6 miles from me who I purchased my 2005 Damon Daybreak from 18 months ago.

I would really like to purchase thorough my existing dealer as get great service from them and as mentioned they are 6 miles from my house, they have often fitted me in that day or next business day for urgent repairs and have not charged me for quick non warranty repairs/adjustments.

My options are to purchase from another dealer or individual or wait to see what my local dealer gets on on a trade.

My local dealer did say they could service a Newmar not purchased from them but priority goes to folk who purchased from them.

Any thoughts?

Unicorn Driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2017, 10:54 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
There are Newmars in the Classifieds above and plenty of used Newmars still going strong as you can see in QT's # 3 old coach section.
Workhorse had a good chassis 2003 -10 for gas coach Chev 8.1 and Allison trans, use to drive mine in cruise all the time.
Interior of mine in QT's 1 & 2 near end of link.
This link will get you brochures, owners guides for years your interested in.
Good luck in your search.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:16 PM   #3

You might be more patient than I am I don't think I could personally wait long enough to see if that dealer gets the unit you want. Depending on the volume they do and luck, that could be quite a while. It does sound like they are a good dealer and will take care of you if you find one you like elsewhere.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";3921880]There are Newmars in the [B][URL="http://www.irv2.com/rvclassifieds/
Classifieds[/URL][/B] above and plenty of used Newmars still going strong as you can see in QT's # 3 old coach section.
Workhorse had a good chassis 2003 -10 for gas coach Chev 8.1 and Allison trans, use to drive mine in cruise all the time.
Interior of mine in QT's 1 & 2 near end of link.
This link will get you brochures, owners guides for years your interested in.
Good luck in your search.
Thanks very much 007.

Will check those out.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD1 View Post
You might be more patient than I am I don't think I could personally wait long enough to see if that dealer gets the unit you want. Depending on the volume they do and luck, that could be quite a while. It does sound like they are a good dealer and will take care of you if you find one you like elsewhere.
We are in Michigan so we won't be using the coach until April so have some breathing space.

Would love to be be able to just order a new one but can not afford to do so.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:37 PM   #6

We bought a 08 Bay Star 2901 from a private seller one year ago. We looked at new entry level wasn’t what we wanted. I like you wanted a 5-7 year old coach. Just to see what a 08 looked like we looked at the Newmar. It was just what we wanted very clean ready to roll.

Made a deal we very happy with our coach. Our Newmar is head and shoulders above anything we look at.
Rudy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:21 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMH View Post
We are in Michigan so we won't be using the coach until April so have some breathing space.

Would love to be be able to just order a new one but can not afford to do so.
MID-WAY is the top Newmar dealer in your area should check them out a good dealer to deal with for everything.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";3922407][B][URL="http://www.midwayrv.com/
MID-WAY[/URL][/B] is the top Newmar dealer in your area should check them out a good dealer to deal with for everything.
Thanks 007, I have looked at them.

They are about 2 hours from me which is doable.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:54 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Good dealers in this industry are scarcer than hens teeth. If you are confident in the one close by, and you’re not in too big a hurry, you can probably make this work out. Maybe search for a private seller and then run the sale thru your dealer. In that way, you can preserve the sales tax deduction on your trade against the cost of the new coach (if that’s the way it’s done in MI - works in TX), the dealer makes a few bucks and everybody’s happy.
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
deaton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaton View Post
Good dealers in this industry are scarcer than hens teeth. If you are confident in the one close by, and you’re not in too big a hurry, you can probably make this work out. Maybe search for a private seller and then run the sale thru your dealer. In that way, you can preserve the sales tax deduction on your trade against the cost of the new coach (if that’s the way it’s done in MI - works in TX), the dealer makes a few bucks and everybody’s happy.
That's very true about dealers.

Can you elaborate more on buying private bit running through the dealer?
Old 11-30-2017, 05:14 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis

In Texas, and many other states, the sales tax is figured on the difference between the agreed cash price for the new coach and the value allowed for your trade.

Our ST is 6.25% on vehicles.

So $200k new coach less $100k trade leaves $100k and tax bill of $6,250 from the governor.

If you sell your coach outright, then you have no trade to offset the purchase and your tax bill, in this example, doubles. Of course, theoretically, you make more money selling your “trade” outright and, to the extent that might be true, you claw back some or all of the “loss” on the sales tax.

So some folks make their deal to buy a used coach from a private party and then take the deal to a cooperating dealer. He buys the used coach and sells it to you at the agreed upon price plus a few hundred bucks for his trouble. He takes your coach in trade at a ridiculously low price (that’s what dealers do, right?) and reduces the price on the “new to you” coach accordingly. Tax bill gets reduced.

Dealer makes his money on the subsequent sale of your trade and the small fee you paid him as the facilitator of your private party purchase.

If financing is needed to facilitate the transaction, dealer might also step up and make a few more bucks.

And, of course, this is all legal.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaton View Post
In Texas, and many other states, the sales tax is figured on the difference between the agreed cash price for the new coach and the value allowed for your trade.

Our ST is 6.25% on vehicles.

So $200k new coach less $100k trade leaves $100k and tax bill of $6,250 from the governor.

If you sell your coach outright, then you have no trade to offset the purchase and your tax bill, in this example, doubles.

So some folks make their deal to buy a used coach from a private party and then take the deal to a cooperating dealer. He buys the used coach and sells it to you at the agreed upon price plus a few hundred bucks for his trouble. He takes your coach in trade at a ridiculously low price (that’s what dealers do, right?) and reduces the price on the “new to you” coach accordingly. Tax bill gets reduced.

Dealer makes his money on the subsequent sale of your trade and the small fee you paid him as the facilitator of your private party purchase.

If financing is needed to facilitate the transaction, dealer might also step up and make a few more bucks.

And, of course, this is all legal.
I get you now what the dealer would do :-)

I could always ask them.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:31 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis

Right. Talk to the dealer close by and see if he will play. You get the advantage of shopping all over for the used coach you want to buy, seller may feel better because he is signing over title to a dealer, not an individual. Dealer might even sell a new coach to your seller, and if you’re into ESP’s maybe your dealer makes some money there too.

I have a buddy here in TX who just did this on a Winnie he negotiated for from a private party who was passing through New Braunfels. A dealer in CA took his old coach in trade and “sold” him the new one. Seller lived in CA and suggested using this particular dealer. Dealer cut was $400.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:58 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Dealer Pass-Through

In a 'pass-through deal' you find a coach and tell the dealer about it. The dealer arranges to bring the coach you want into inventory in order to re-sell it to you. This will take a monetary commitment from you as a pre-sales agreement.
The dealer will take a small fee (say 3-5%) and for that can do things like pre-delivery inspection, fix any minor snags, arrange registration in your locale, and even do final detailing for delivery.
This preserves your relationship and gives the dealer a sale that it wouldn't have had unless you brought it to them.
I would be interested in working with you for an April delivery through your dealer.
My ad for a 2015 Newmar Canyon Star 3953 is in the classified ads section of iRV2 at http://www.irv2.com/rvclassifieds/sh...-cs-3953&cat=4

Tags
advice, gas, newmar