Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2018, 07:19 AM   #1

Question about water filtration

It is time to replace the cartridge in the standard whole coach filtration system. I have been reading up on the different types, and the general consensus is to not use a Carbon filter in front of water going into the fresh tank as you would like some chlorine in there to keep the risk of "bad things" growing at a minimum.

Is the plumbing run so that when the water goes from the holding tank to the coach it runs through the filtration system? Or do you only get filtration if you are connected to the city water supply?

Also, some comments have been made about filters that can drastically reduce flow - certainly don't want that

The two I am looking at are

Watts MAXVOC-975 C-MAX 10" VOC Water Filter (what comes with the unit), and Pentek CFB-PB10 Filter-10" Carbon Filter.
Jtrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2018, 12:59 PM   #2
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The water goes from the city water connection through the filter, then either the tank or coach.

Many people do it different but we use the same filter that comes with the coach. The water needs to be filtered before going into the system to keep the crud out of the tank, check valves, mixing valves, and faucets. In early spring we had a new filter plug with rust in an Ohio State Park. Glad all that crud didn't go into our system. I don't disagree with you on the chlorine, although we just sanitize the tank and change the filter twice a year.

We leave both the city water and the pump on all the time we are in the coach with autofill on. This eliminates any issue with water pressure in the coach because of the filter. The pump will come on and draw water from the tank to supplement the city water flow if necessary.

The filter does slow the water into the coach. Most noticeable when the campground water pressure is low or when the filter starts to get older.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:49 AM   #3

I keep a couple new filters in my wet bay. They are just regular 10" WH filters that you can purchase almost anywhere and usually run about $5 or $6 each. We are full time and travel a lot so I like to change mine out about every 3 months or so. My main concern is to keep it filtered so my expensive frig filter doesn't need replaced more often.

We might use a campground's water if it smells and looks okay for making a pot of coffee, and of course it is what makes our ice. However for drinking we use bottled.

We always use a water regulator w/gauge on any city water connection. In over 80% of the campground we have stayed in our pressure is 60psi or above.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 12:59 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
FLJOE, I have have yet to have the camp ground pressure less then 60 PSI, I’m sure I will someday.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:12 PM   #5

I use the same type filters as FLJOE and also throw in a couple of shots of bleach in the canister.
racer0624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 02:07 PM   #6

I have the standard whole house filter that does a good job. I sometimes install a blue Camco inline filter if I know the campground has issues. The campground we use on the Texas coast does, it has a good bit of sand. I also installed a RO cartridge with separate spigot at the sink. The water from the RO is used for coffee and drinking. I installed a RO cartridge in the house in June, we have hard water. The water from the faucet at the house is 250 ppm with the RO 25 ppm and after 4 months still 50 ppm, I will change it at 100 ppm. RO in the MH should last a year with our use.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water