RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2018, 08:14 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Question for Air Force One users

Just had the towed vehicle side of the SMI Air Force One unit installed in our 2014 Honda. The MADP 4047 Spartan chassis already had the Safe Haul coach side in place. On the short tow home, it seemed to work well.

The coiled air hose connecting the coach to the towed doesn't seem all that substantial and I'm wondering if I need to carry a spare. They aren't all that expensive and a spare hose would seem to be a prudent investment. What do the experienced AF1 users think?

TJ

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2018, 08:16 PM   #2

Never had an issue with mine. My concern is the break away cable.

Edhildy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:21 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Question for Air Force One users

I do not carry a spare air hose but I do have a spare breakaway cable and key.
Something I do to help from losing or ruining the air line, wire cable and break away is use a GearTie to keep it held on tow bar should one end come loose.
https://www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-Orig.../dp/B01N5I7VGA
Old 07-19-2018, 08:33 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
I do have a spare break-away cable and key. And, I like the idea of securing the ends of the hose. That may alleviate some of my concern about the hose durability.

The GearTie is interesting. I have always used the bungee loop and ball ties and have a bunch of them. Maybe they'll work as well as the GearTies.

TJ
Old 07-19-2018, 08:40 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
After having an air leak in the coiled air house, I always carry a spare. As you said, they are not very expensive. Cheap insurance.
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
Just had the towed vehicle side of the SMI Air Force One unit installed in our 2014 Honda. The MADP 4047 Spartan chassis already had the Safe Haul coach side in place. On the short tow home, it seemed to work well.

The coiled air hose connecting the coach to the towed doesn't seem all that substantial and I'm wondering if I need to carry a spare. They aren't all that expensive and a spare hose would seem to be a prudent investment. What do the experienced AF1 users think?

TJ

Did the standard AF1 air hose work? Did you get the kit from Spartan?

I have an M&G braking system and I'm having a hard time figuring out what hose I need for when I pick up my Ventana in a few weeks.

Spartan says they have 3/8" industrial interchange coupler on the coach, but I was just googling and could find out whether that's what the standard AF1 hose has. If so, I think I can buy one of those and then replace the Jeep end with a Milton M that I have installed on my Jeep.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:18 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
Did the standard AF1 air hose work? Did you get the kit from Spartan?

I have an M&G braking system and I'm having a hard time figuring out what hose I need for when I pick up my Ventana in a few weeks.

Spartan says they have 3/8" industrial interchange coupler on the coach, but I was just googling and could find out whether that's what the standard AF1 hose has. If so, I think I can buy one of those and then replace the Jeep end with a Milton M that I have installed on my Jeep.
SMI offers their coiled hose with an optional fitting for the Spartan Safe Haul connector. That's the way I ordered mine. IIRC, it was $4 extra to have the compatible Safe Haul fitting pre-installed. And, it did plug right in.

I think the "standard" AF1 system comes with a 1/4" industrial fitting. That said, it is a simple matter to get a 3/8" male coupler fitting and brass 1/4-to-3/8 adapter.

With the Ventana, I think you'd need to install both parts of the AF1; coach side and towed side. In that case, you wouldn't need the optional connectors as I'm sure SMI provides compatible couplers between their components. Or, is the 2019 Ventana now available on a Spartan chassis?

EDIT - Just looked on the Newmar web site and the Ventana is available on the Spartan chassis. Learn something every day.

TJ
Old 07-19-2018, 09:34 PM   #8

Quote:
SMI offers their coiled hose with an optional fitting for the Spartan Safe Haul connector. That's the way I ordered mine. IIRC, it was $4 extra to have the compatible Safe Haul fitting pre-installed. And, it did plug right in.

I think the "standard" AF1 system comes with a 1/4" industrial fitting. That said, it is a simple matter to get a 3/8" male coupler fitting and brass 1/4-to-3/8 adapter.

With the Ventana, I think you'd need to install both parts of the AF1; coach side and towed side. In that case, you wouldn't need the optional connectors as I'm sure SMI provides compatible couplers between their components. Or, is the 2019 Ventana now available on a Spartan chassis?

TJ
Yes, I'm getting a Spartan chassis on my Ventana which is a new (without IFS) option this year on Ventana.

Ok, you told me exactly what I needed. Since the standard hose is 1/4" and that means I would have to swap out both ends, I'll just add a 3/8" industrial to my current M&G hose, and therefore I'll only have to fiddle with one end.

If the standard AF1 hose worked I was thinking about going that route, as I don't currently have a backup for my M&G, but as it's a much heavier duty air hose (about twice as thick as AF1 hose), I think I'll just get a second one from M&G and swap out the coach side.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:37 PM   #9
Community Moderator

When I installed the M&G on our Jeep. I tossed the fittings they supplied and used the same fittings as the AF1 system. That way both my vehicles used the nicely sized AF1 fittings.
Etrailer carried the fittings to make the change.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:54 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:

TJ
Hi TJ,

I carry a spare air hose, a spare electric umbilical, spare breakaway cable and spare rubber caps for the coach and toad air connections. Basically, a complete spare kit of everything in the car - coach connection, except for the tow bar. Probably overkill, but, my logic is that, over time, all that stuff will wear and fail. So, eventually, I'll be shopping for replacements. Rather than doing that from some possibly remote location, I'd rather do that at my convenience.

Several times I've been a little jammed up trying to locate stuff like that when I was on the road. Also, once a guy parked near me damaged his electrical umbilical. The nearest local source was 50 miles away in a direction opposite to his travel plan. I was able to give him my "gently used" umbilical to get him on his way without delay and put my spare into service. He was happy and I drank some of his beer.

Take care,
Stu
Old 07-19-2018, 10:09 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
Hi TJ,

I carry a spare air hose, a spare electric umbilical, spare breakaway cable and spare rubber caps for the coach and toad air connections. Basically, a complete spare kit of everything in the car - coach connection, except for the tow bar. Probably overkill, but, my logic is that, over time, all that stuff will wear and fail. So, eventually, I'll be shopping for replacements. Rather than doing that from some possibly remote location, I'd rather do that at my convenience.

Several times I've been a little jammed up trying to locate stuff like that when I was on the road. Also, once a guy parked near me damaged his electrical umbilical. The nearest local source was 50 miles away in a direction opposite to his travel plan. I was able to give him my "gently used" umbilical to get him on his way without delay and put my spare into service. He was happy and I drank some of his beer.

Take care,
Stu
I was wondering about the rubber cap that covers the Safe Haul chuck when the hose is not connected. When you ARE connected, it seems like it will fly around in the wind; not a recipe for longevity.

How do folks secure that cap when you have the air hose connected? I was thinking about trying to find something the same size as the chuck that could be mounted nearby. That would provide a way to secure the cap.

TJ
Old 07-21-2018, 06:33 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I carry a spare air hose around, plus an electrical cable. I use the AF1 supplied line, on the Essex it required the addition of a reducer piece to the Spartan provided air port. When disconnected I secure the two ends of the air hose together, to prevent any dirt, etc from getting into the line ... then stow it in its own bin. I also install the plastic caps to both the coach and towed vehicle connectors ... they prevent water and other foreign items from getting into the connectors. I have noticed the sliding coupler sometimes gets stiff and might prevent a positive lock ... a bit of careful lubrication (I don't want to get lube into the air system) works just great.
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
NCRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:00 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I was wondering about the rubber cap that covers the Safe Haul chuck when the hose is not connected. When you ARE connected, it seems like it will fly around in the wind; not a recipe for longevity.

How do folks secure that cap when you have the air hose connected? I was thinking about trying to find something the same size as the chuck that could be mounted nearby. That would provide a way to secure the cap.

TJ

After I connect the air line I bring the dangling cap up between the fitting and the hitch and it sits right there while traveling. Iíll have to keep an eye on it as the rubber strap starts to deteriorate
Soniccruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:46 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks, folks. I went ahead and ordered a spare coiled air hose and a 7-pin to 6-pin cord. Already had the extra breakaway cable and key on hand. I think I will feel more at ease with the spares on hand.

TJ

Tags
air