Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2014, 07:25 AM   #15

Freightliner Owners Club
Jim, in re-reading your post, remember it's not a matter of number of toilets....simply the number of flushes required based on number of people in the coach. And, of course, the size of the black tank and the amount of water per flush. The calcs work out the same with one or two toilets. Of course, the optimum would be to have one direst drop and the other would need to be macerator. That way you can discontinue use of the macerator when dry camping.

I was just thinking the other day...would I rather have NO rear toilet and convert that space to storage? Yes! yes! yes!,,,,, not sure it's something one just has to have...
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2014, 01:23 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
To further your education on toilets here another thread on same subject.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:14 PM   #17

I had read the other threads on macerator but wondered if there were others with similar issue or if it was merely the few reporting it. I have read and beginning to believe there is something to ensuring that the tanks are calibrated correctly. Thanks for all of the replies
Old 02-25-2014, 06:00 PM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
OK, exactly one week has passed since I made my best available "adjustments" to the toilets, meaning I got 7 full days out of my 45 gallon black tank. Both are set to consume about one liter with each flush and work reasonably well flushing LIQUIDS only. I know when I initially dumped the liquid was as thin as water (since it WAS essentially water....) This time I got a little more thickness to the "milkshake", leading me to believe I have water consumption set about as low as one could hope while still getting proper function out of these "water eaters".

So....is one week enough to get most of us by? What do others think?
Old 02-25-2014, 09:19 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
In the heat of the summer it may be as long as you will want to put up with what is now in the tanks and that's after a week of naval shower's to conserve water into the gray holding tank which is about 50 gal's.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:33 PM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
Naw...a week is easy. We have gone as long as 16 days in the old coach, using toilet chemicals or the "GEO" method. And that's in the Texas heat! Showers are a separate issue.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:38 PM   #21

Has anyone heard of Newmar accomadating a special order request of installing larger black and grey tanks on an Essex or King? Im sure this would reduce the size of the last cargo bay.
BucketList is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:50 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucketList View Post
Has anyone heard of Newmar accomadating a special order request of installing larger black and grey tanks on an Essex or King? Im sure this would reduce the size of the last cargo bay.
2014 King Aire, Fresh 140, Grey 80, Black 60, Standard. We have more problems with the Grey filling up because of the Oasis and spending too much time in the shower than we have had with the Black tank. If it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown, flush it down. That's how we were taught
Old 02-27-2014, 07:35 PM   #23

Freightliner Owners Club
I'm not convinced they'd have to squeeze the last bay to accommodate a larger black tank. My old coach on a K-2 had 65 gals. Of black and the last bay was the same size as this one. I think it would be a very worthwhile feature to macerator toilet equipped coaches.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:49 PM   #24
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"slabman" you say you got your water consumption down, but I'm not sure what you did to do so. You said you were looking at the Dometic control boxes, did you actually adjust them? You also talked about turning down the water...was that the biggest savings?

Lastly, my tank gauge is shutting off the toilets at 2/3rds full. If that is a true 2/3rds, then they have reduced my tank to only 30 gallons. Is this tank shutoff a Newmar only adjustment?

Thanks
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:24 PM   #25

Freightliner Owners Club
You need to check your tank readout to verify if it is 2/3 or full. Do that by bringing up to 2/3 full and keep flushing 'till you hear or see fluid coming up in the lower toilet. (Did you say you had TWO macerators?) anyway, that will tell you if the calibration is correct. At the Dometic controller box there are yellow and orange wires leading to this box. I believe it is the yellow which connects to a black tank float valve that kills power to the toilet at 100% full...the orange wire disconnects at something like 2/3 or 70% full, so I'm guessing you could have that one connected. If so, go ahead and disconnect it...won't hurt anything. But then you'll need to be sure you know your tank levels as they approach max levels. Mine had only the yellow connected, which I unhooked and now it'll keep flushing when full. If your yellow only is connected, you might try unhooking it and seeing how it works....you can always re-connect it.

I just re-calibrated all 3 tanks 3days ago, so don't know if or how far off mine were before. But if I get more than 7 days of black tank use, it'll mean The coach was mis-calibrated. So I'll see.....

So to your question. You can reduce toilet water use either by moving that dipswitch inside the "brain" and/or by reducing flow rates into the toilet during and before each flush. Remember, this is a timed fill, so lower flow relates to lower water use. I have the dipswitch set to a low setting and also the Manablock valve turned partially closed, resulting in about 1 liter per flush. Again, this doesn't quite flush a piece of toilet paper over that weir, so about one more second of pre-fill will do the trick. So I consider this as a "liquids only" toilet. The other one is for more heavy duty use. Let us know how you go with this.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:32 PM   #26
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I understand what you're saying about the wiring to the Dometic controls, buy how do you know if the tank is 2/3rds full. Are you talking about measuring out 30 gals of water? Both of my toilets are macerators. When they both quit the other day, my tank monitor said 2/3rds. J have no way of knowing what level the tank is at. I like the idea of undoing the black tank float switch for the 2/3rds mark.

This is my next project.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:46 AM   #27

Freightliner Owners Club
Don, not sure you need to. Just keep flushing and listen for fluid coming up in the half bath toilet. You'll see it begin to rise up without overflowing....one flush at a time. If you only get a few more flushes you'll know the tank is full. If several more, the 2/3 setting was accurate. Originally, my Dometics allowed me 70 flushes from empty to full, which showed only 70% on the Silverleaf. That's what screwed me up...think I've got it figured out now.

After you get this riddle solved, unhook that wire and see it you can get one toilet to flush more times. I will say this, when my one toilet says it's full, I can only get about 4 more flushes out of it. So with one toilet allowing the override, it gives us a small amount of extra/emergency? use before dumping.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:23 PM   #28
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My half bath is also a macerator toilet and you can't see the tank or hear anything rising. This may be where the confusion came from.