Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2014, 09:25 AM   #1

Question for owners of bath and a half

Odd question, I know, but perhaps legit. My unit, similar to several others have the stool on top of the black tank which dumps directly in to that tank. Dutch Star Dan, you mention that your purchased a bath and a half. Does one of the stools require the use of a lot of water to accomplish the travel, or are there two tanks with a crossover. Just curious. Had not heard much about the bath and a half but see that the distance between the two stools is perhaps as much as ten feet apart. How is this done? I don't think it is set up with macerators, is it?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2014, 09:32 AM   #2

Most coaches have a macerator toilet in the rear bath to pump forward. King Aire has macerator for each.
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:41 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
A DP because of engine in back needs to macerate to push the contents to holding tank up forward.
My bath 1 1/2 has a tank under both toilets with direct drop of course its not a DP.
Some gas coach's had problems with off set toilets and tanks.
You can adjust water levels for the macerating toilet to prevent blockage in smaller pipe to forward tank.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:01 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My coach has 3 tanks, Black/Gray/Wash.. (Wash is gray less the kitchen sink)

THe main bath is in the rear, Has shower, dual lav (These feed the wash tank) and a macerator toilet that pumps up to the front, By my standards it does use a lot of water.. But in truth, only about a half a gallon per flush.

The front "half bath" Feeds the gray from the lav, and of course a standard gravity RV/Marine toilet (Model 111, by whomever makes those thigns)

Just now, since wife died, I'm not using the rear much, using it for storage.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:11 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
I have a Monaco with two black tanks and one gray tank. Each toilet has its own holding tank.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:29 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Our 2012 Dutch Star bath and a half has 2 macerator toilets.
The Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:41 PM   #7

Our black tank is in between both bathrooms. Both toilets are macerator and pump the waste into the tank.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:26 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullheaded View Post
Most coaches have a macerator toilet in the rear bath to pump forward. King Aire has macerator for each.
As do the Essex.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:43 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Yes and the 2 macerator toilet setup dumping into a 45 gal. Tank is disgraceful. Consider a toilet shutdown when the tank is 70%full and you have an approximate 30 gal tank to work with. At a water saver setting .45gal/flush, that means dumping every 3-4 days. Goodbye to any kind of dry camping beyond that timeframe. What on earth are they thinking?
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:53 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Actually, DW and I just spent 5 days dry camping at Lost Dutchman SP, we were in the overflow area, so no hook ups. When we set up, the gray tank was showing 1/3 full and the black tank had not been dumped in a couple of days. We made it the 5 days just fine, gray tank was getting pretty close to full, but black tank was only showing 2/3…got nowhere near the "emergency mode" on either macerator toilet.

That was our first time dry camping in the Newmar, have no doubt that we can go a full week without dumping.
Lee L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:24 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My coach has two black tanks and two gray tanks.

I never have a problem as the toilets are right over their respective tanks.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:06 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wife and I, she used the Macerator unit I used the Gravity.. We usually dumped 2x a week (Wed and Sat/Sun) but shutting down the macerator for travel have gone 8 days.. I've gone longer since she died, but Well...... I kind of wish she was still around (Kind of,, Seriously a whole lot).

Now days the only time I clear out the main bath is when I need to use the in-house shower... In CGs I normally use the park shower (Better pressure and more room to bend over, That dang telephone booth is just flat TOO SMALL.. Some day I may fix that but... Well, takes something I don't have to fix it ($$$$$$).
Old 02-25-2014, 06:21 AM   #13

Thanks for the replies. For those that dry camp, I guess the question come from a few posts indicating that the 45 gal tank was insufficient when using two macerator toilets. Are there other opinions or is it merely a matter of getting the water flow corrected? Are the new toilets with macerator using more water or merely out of proper water flow adjustment. 2-3 days to fill the black tanks just seems like a problem?
Old 02-25-2014, 07:20 AM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
Jim, 2-3 days is not acceptable in my opinion. Our Corps park near home does not have sewer, so it means closing up everything and drive down the road every couple days.

Yes, one can reduce the water flow a couple ways. One way is to close up the toilet feed valve by various amounts. Another option (referring to theDometic toilet) is to change the dip switch setting in the control model, which in my case cuts the flow down to about a liter per flush, which is hardly enough to properly clean the bowl...need to add just a tad more to move TP and more difficult waste over the weir at back of the bowl.

While I don't have one, I wish mine came with a Thetford toilet which, I understand, will truly give one a choice of water at the flush pad without having to go through the annoyance of re-setting water usage in accordance with toilet use.

Sure hope We can get a solution to this problem.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote