Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2014, 06:25 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Question on Ventana Options

Interested in what these options on the Ventana are ?

One is ... Option 5M060 Fiberglass Roof with Radius Fibreglass Roof Wrap
Two is .... Option 5R105 Mechanical Lock Arms on Three Silde Rooms
I have been looking at the DSDP, but also considering for budget reasons the Ventana. Neither of these options appear on the DSDP options list.
The other option I am curious about is the Chrome Mirror, thinking that this is just cosmetic, but wondering if there is more to it then that.
Thanks
Jim
MoHoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2014, 08:53 AM   #2

I think you'll find people split on the Fiberglass vs Brite-Tek roof issue. I've owned both. The fiberglass seems a little easier to keep clean. The Brite-Tek is proven durable and less expensive. The locking arms seem like a good idea. Just don't forget to unlock before running the slide out.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 12:14 PM   #3
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Question on Ventana Options

Cosmetically, the full fiberglass roof looks "high end" to me and should provide a better seal to the elements. We went with it on our order.

The locking arms were the one big question we never really got resolved in our minds when placing the order for our 2015 Ventana 4037. It's almost a $3k option.

Can those with and without the locking arms chime in on their usefulness and the pros and cons of each choice for the OP and myself?

Thanks.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 12:37 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
We ordered the Fiberglass roof and the mechanical lock arms on our 2015 4037. I researched the Fiberglass vs Brite-Tek roof, and went with the fiberglass as that is what is on our Itasca The Brite-Tek looks like a very good roof system. I could have gone either way.We sometimes camp where there are some low hanging trees branches, and thought the fiberglass might be better for that. Also less maintenance for the fiberglass.

The way it was explained to us, is if you don't get the mechanical locking arms then it comes with the manual arms which you must remember to lock and unlock.

Ken
Old 10-19-2014, 01:43 PM   #5
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kend51 View Post
We ordered the Fiberglass roof and the mechanical lock arms on our 2015 4037. I researched the Fiberglass vs Brite-Tek roof, and went with the fiberglass as that is what is on our Itasca The Brite-Tek looks like a very good roof system. I could have gone either way.We sometimes camp where there are some low hanging trees branches, and thought the fiberglass might be better for that. Also less maintenance for the fiberglass.

The way it was explained to us, is if you don't get the mechanical locking arms then it comes with the manual arms which you must remember to lock and unlock.

Ken

Ken,

That's interesting. So the mechanical locking arms lock automatically? What is the process involved in the manual locks? I was under the impression that without the mechanical arm option, there was no actual lock other than the electrical switch. But then again I'm completely confused on this issue. LOL.

Old 10-19-2014, 02:12 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarpusher View Post
Ken,

That's interesting. So the mechanical locking arms lock automatically? What is the process involved in the manual locks? I was under the impression that without the mechanical arm option, there was no actual lock other than the electrical switch. But then again I'm completely confused on this issue. LOL.
The way it was explained to us is when you extend the slide the arms automatically unlock and auto lock when you pull the slide in.

I believe there is a manual slide lock you manually engage or disengage when extending or pulling in the slide.

Hopefully someone can verify this or not. There were so many thing to ask about and understand when we were looking and ordering our coach. It was, is and still easy to be confused.

Ken
Old 10-19-2014, 04:21 PM   #7

I ordered both on our 2014 Ventana. The operation is automatic, there is a flat plate mounted on both ends of a rod that runs through the slide out wall, when the slide moves in it pushes the rod up which then closes the flat plate up against the top of the inner wall. The slide motor pulling in the slide applies the pressure to the bottom plate ,so really the pressure by the motor and cog wheel is what is really locking the slide. The lock must just create more resistance to keep the slide wheel from working its way ot while motorhome is moving.
David D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 04:31 PM   #8
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by David D. View Post
I ordered both on our 2014 Ventana. The operation is automatic, there is a flat plate mounted on both ends of a rod that runs through the slide out wall, when the slide moves in it pushes the rod up which then closes the flat plate up against the top of the inner wall. The slide motor pulling in the slide applies the pressure to the bottom plate ,so really the pressure by the motor and cog wheel is what is really locking the slide. The lock must just create more resistance to keep the slide wheel from working its way ot while motorhome is moving.

Thanks David.

So without the locking option, what do I have? Just the fact that the motor is off or is there some sort of manual lock?

Old 10-19-2014, 04:47 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The manual locking bar can be activated by yourself or by a locking bar release tool and when you release the lock bar the bar will fold into the wall cavity beside the slide and main wall.
There are two locking bars per slide and this is a picture of release and lock tool:

The locking bars work to compress the slide in the recessed wall cavity against the rubber seal to stop wind and moisture from entering coach while traveling and when locked reinforces the wall strength of the coach.
This is the only picture I have of the locking bar which is located 1/2 way up the slide wall it attaches to the wall and to the slide fascia back side , you can see where it will fold into the wall in picture.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:37 PM   #10
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
The manual locking bar can be activated by yourself or by a locking bar release tool and when you release the lock bar the bar will fold into the wall cavity beside the slide and main wall.
There are two locking bars per slide and this is a picture of release and lock tool:

The locking bars work to compress the slide in the recessed wall cavity against the rubber seal to stop wind and moisture from entering coach while traveling and when locked reinforces the wall strength of the coach.
This is the only picture I have of the locking bar which is located 1/2 way up the slide wall it attaches to the wall and to the slide fascia back side , you can see where it will fold into the wall in picture.
Thanks,

I wish my dealer was able to explain that system better. It seems like a step backwards from the electric locks I have on my current Winnebago product. I probably would have gone for the automatic locks had I know better.

How much of a hassle is it to lock those arms? Do they swing into/out of place easily? We move around quite a bit, so I'd be putting the slides in/out every couple of days on most trips and during the day at rest stops, etc.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:10 AM   #11

I would also like to have more info on how these work. I don't have any type of locks on my Tiffin. Do you lock them when the slides or out or when the slides are in? Being I have not found a Newmar to look at the pictures are my only option.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:50 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The locking bars are for when the slides are in and ready for travel.
Locking the bars stabilize the slide and compress the seal and structurally enforce the side wall of coach.
More stable than the electric locks which only lock at the top of the slide.
You just have to unlock manually before putting the slide out which the voice over the speaker will remind you to do.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:24 AM   #13
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
The locking bars are for when the slides are in and ready for travel.

Locking the bars stabilize the slide and compress the seal and structurally enforce the side wall of coach.

More stable than the electric locks which only lock at the top of the slide.

You just have to unlock manually before putting the slide out which the voice over the speaker will remind you to do.

This forum is awesome. It just saved me from making a big mistake on my Ventanta order. I would have not been happy with the manual arms on a day to day basis since we move around quite a bit when we do get the MH out. We are so used to just running the slides out quickly at a pit stop, etc. Our current MH has electric locks and it's just a second button press to unlock/lock the slides.

I called and Kristin at RVOne and was able to add the mechanical locking arms to my order. So far RVONE in Albany has been a pleasure to deal with.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:35 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
So, I'd like to ask. Why do you need to lock the slides anyway?
We've got the manual system, but never use them, and most people we ask, either Newmar or other type, say the same thing.
rmcobb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent