Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2014, 11:33 AM   #1

Questions about order of operations/custom build

We are confused about how to go about ordering a 3736 ds with special options such as fireplace instead of love seat on the door side like on the 3636 ventana.

Do we just go to a dealer/dealers with our wish list and hope they take it seriously? Do we have to have a coach ordered to start talking about custom colors? Every single newmar coach we have seen is brown, brown, brown.

Reading here that customizations are available from Newmar was a big plus for going with the DS. We just can't figure out what to do first.

Help!!!
sinjineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2014, 12:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjineer View Post
We are confused about how to go about ordering a 3736 ds with special options such as fireplace instead of love seat on the door side like on the 3636 ventana.

Do we just go to a dealer/dealers with our wish list and hope they take it seriously? Do we have to have a coach ordered to start talking about custom colors? Every single newmar coach we have seen is brown, brown, brown.

Reading here that customizations are available from Newmar was a big plus for going with the DS. We just can't figure out what to do first.

Help!!!
I printed the build sheet for the model we wanted. Filled it out the best I could with my limited knowledge and sent it out to many dealers for a quote. Once I got my best price and chose which dealer to work with is when the little custom details we finalized.
zman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 12:07 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
In QT's # 3 there are answers to all your question on how, who and when in ordering.
It gives a good account by people that ordered and pick up at Newmar or at some dealers that do a A+ as to PDI.

NEWMAR CORP. STICKY in this forum

Here is a good site for pricing and options not necessarily with this dealer.

Info on chassis'.

Here is a link talking about dealers who may treat you better.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 12:38 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree with zman62.

I first went to the Newmar factory to meet with Michelle Howard and work through all the interior decor options and to see the available exterior paint selections.

Next step was to fill out a retail price sheet which I sent out to several dealerships. After speaking with all the dealerships I made a decision on who I wanted to work with and I let Newmar know that my deal would be run through that dealer.

I worked with the dealer on my special requests. I have had very limited discussion directly with Newmar, my dealer knew exactly what to do, I told him what I wanted and he had all the discussions with Newmar. That process worked very well.

If Newmar had questions or issues along the way they would let the dealer know and the dealer would contact me for clarification.

I ordered my DSDP on September 5th, the chassis is in prep next week and should be in building 7 on the 27th. I'll be in Nappanee to watch the build process starting on December 1st. Coach is scheduled to ship out to the dealership on the 17th of December and I'll take delivery on January 5th.

Good luck!
SWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 12:53 PM   #5

Hi Swag Did you setup an appointment to talk to Michelle? Did you send her anything in advance on what you were thinking? Did you contact her by just calling or email or??? Did you end up with a detailed order sheet after talking and discussing options so etc with Newmar/Michelle?

I do like the process of getting the details straight before going to the dealer route.
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:54 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Canuck53, always good connecting with a fellow Canadian ... we're from Burlington but enjoying living in the south (especially this time of year!)

I had established a relationship with the Newmar district sales executive late last year when we started this process and went through him to get an appointment to visit with Michelle during our planned factory visit. But, I'm sure you will have no trouble going directly to her to book an appointment either by email or phone. I had no previous conversations with Michelle prior to that initial meeting.

I already knew which floor plan we were going to order and had a pretty good idea on options prior to meeting with Michelle. The focus of that visit was to see all the interior options in person, it's difficult to make those decisions by looking at online photos or at a couple of coaches on dealer lots. If you go to Nappanee you can spread out all the decor options on a table, from all the lines, to mix and match and get exactly what you want. I don't think we would have been too comfortable placing an order without having the ability to see everything in front of us. We were also able to see samples of all the exterior colors which was important in determining our paint scheme. We spent an hour with Michelle to determine our interior decor options and as most were outside the standard DSDP schemes they were part of our special requests. Upon returning home we finalized our list of options and I started the pricing process with dealerships.

The most difficult part of the process was working through the special requests, most of that happened after we placed our order and reserved our build slot. There was a lot of back and forth with engineering for several weeks to work through that process.

Here's a shot of some of the decor selections my wife made (apparently I am not well qualified to make these decisions so this was her job!).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior 1.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	334.3 KB
ID:	79599  
Old 11-21-2014, 04:06 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Nice combination.

But tell me? What is wrong with gunmetal gray, black carbon fiber and red highlights? LOL

The DW definitely has better taste when it comes to color than I do.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:15 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Nice combination.

But tell me? What is wrong with gunmetal gray, black carbon fiber and red highlights? LOL

The DW definitely has better taste when it comes to color than I do.
I had to cut a deal Gordon (actually multiple deals). I started talking about trading the Ventana within two months of buying new. DW reminded me about the kitchen renovation that I had been promising for several years and that there would be no further discussion about an upgrade until that was done. Had the contractor on the job in February and got that taken care of lickity split. Then, I was informed that if I wanted to trade from a perfectly good coach (which it really was) to another more expensive one, she was going to pick all the colors, inside and out. I had no choice but to agree!
Old 11-21-2014, 06:19 PM   #9

Swag has given great info. We took a slightly different route since we did the initial deal at the hershey show. (Yes we did get quotes from other dealers but they didn't come close) We live realitivly close to the factory and knew we would take delivery there. We agreed on price then took a trip to the factory to work out the specials, colors etc. with Michelle Howard. She is fabulous to work with! My wife and Michelle spent most of the morning picking out fabrics counter tops and the like. And me? Well when it comes to colors I'm told I have no opinion!Our dealer then received our specials and added the difference to the sales order applying the same discount. For the most part the dealer is just pushing the paperwork and most likely will never see the coach. Ours is comming this spring. This forum has a wealth of knowledge regarding ordering a new coach among other things. Best time you can spend is getting as much knowledge as you can by reading and asking questions before jumping in feet first. The process for us has been very enjoyable and Newmar and our dealer have been great to work with. Now if we can only survive the wait! Best of luck on your adventure and have fun!
Old 11-21-2014, 07:42 PM   #10

Thanks for the inputs guys. This forum is awesome.

SWag your response is perfect, just what I was looking for:

Quote:
I already knew which floor plan we were going to order and had a pretty good idea on options prior to meeting with Michelle. The focus of that visit was to see all the interior options in person, it's difficult to make those decisions by looking at online photos or at a couple of coaches on dealer lots. If you go to Nappanee you can spread out all the decor options on a table, from all the lines, to mix and match and get exactly what you want. I don't think we would have been too comfortable placing an order without having the ability to see everything in front of us. We were also able to see samples of all the exterior colors which was important in determining our paint scheme. We spent an hour with Michelle to determine our interior decor options and as most were outside the standard DSDP schemes they were part of our special requests.
We have an appointment with Michelle in December, can't wait!
Old 11-21-2014, 08:19 PM   #11

Swag good to hear you are where it is warm and can appreciate people in the lovely north. Sounds like you went through a nice process. We live about 4 hrs from Newmar. Tell me a little about the specials that had to have engineering involved. Did you get any specials from others coach's. It sounds like you had the outside painted a different color, that would be the most nerve racking.

Srrobe yes both of your approaches provides lots of ideas and options. Yes I have been poking here for a while to learn from everyone. Did you have any specials that were and issue and did Michelle give you the what Production would do and or not?

Sinjineer bow did you get a hold of Michelle and where do you actual meet her. When we went for a Tour we saw some samples. I'm assuming the actually meet for colors etc is somewhere else.

Thanks to all for sharing the your experiences helps a lot.
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:30 PM   #12

[QUOTE=

Srrobe yes both of your approaches provides lots of ideas and options. Yes I have been poking here for a while to learn from everyone. Did you have any specials that were and issue and did Michelle give you the what Production would do and or not?

Michelle is real savy on what can or can't be done. Most of the fabrics DW chose were specials. We moved/ added both 120/12v outlets. We added additional lights, picked different dining chairs & window treatments, cat5 cables etc. and the list goes on. Michelle is great at suggestions for specials that you may not think of as well.
DW said spending this money should not be this much fun! Enjoy you trip to the factory!
Old 11-21-2014, 09:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck53 View Post
Sinjineer bow did you get a hold of Michelle and where do you actual meet her. When we went for a Tour we saw some samples. I'm assuming the actually meet for colors etc is somewhere else.

Thanks to all for sharing the your experiences helps a lot.
Got her number from 007's post and called.

We are flying from Socal, where we are camp hosting at San Elijo State Beach, to Indiana in Dec., what are we thinking? Pete only cares about the motor, I am concerned about the living quarters
Old 11-22-2014, 09:02 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWag View Post
I had to cut a deal Gordon (actually multiple deals). I started talking about trading the Ventana within two months of buying new. DW reminded me about the kitchen renovation that I had been promising for several years and that there would be no further discussion about an upgrade until that was done. Had the contractor on the job in February and got that taken care of lickity split. Then, I was informed that if I wanted to trade from a perfectly good coach (which it really was) to another more expensive one, she was going to pick all the colors, inside and out. I had no choice but to agree!
I love deals. I would have to agree the colors DW picked will look good in your new home. DW picked the colors for both of our units and I will admit they are OK.