Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2017, 04:30 PM   #1

Questions About Towing a Hyundai Veloster

We have seem several Hyundai Veloster's being towed 4 wheel down and we just had ours set up. All of the calls we made to dealers and other sources say this car can be towed 4 wheel down. The manual says it can be done and to put it in accessory mode and when we do that our Blue Ox Patriot break says low car battery after 20 to 30 minutes of towing and we get an error message in the cockpit. Oddly enough the first time we towed the red light on the 12v to the brake controller was on indicating it was getting power but today it wouldn't 't turn red in the accessory mode. We would love to hear from people towing the car so we can understand their exact set up procedure. Thank you in advance. Our Veloster is a 2013 manual transmission.
snowhawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2017, 08:54 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Check and see if turning key to accessory to unlock steering lock, then back to off if the steering stays unlocked. Some cars only need to be turned to accessory then off to keep steering unlocked. If it works for you, you'll not use 12v power. Be sure the power plug stays on with key off. If it doesn't, you'll have to wire a power plug outlet that by-passes the ignition.

Other strategy might be to use a multimeter to see what is drawing the power and pull the fuse for those items.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Check and see if turning key to accessory to unlock steering lock, then back to off if the steering stays unlocked. Some cars only need to be turned to accessory then off to keep steering unlocked. If it works for you, you'll not use 12v power. Be sure the power plug stays on with key off. If it doesn't, you'll have to wire a power plug outlet that by-passes the ignition.

Other strategy might be to use a multimeter to see what is drawing the power and pull the fuse for those items.
Thanks. It has a push button start so that is a bit of a twist I forgot to mention. I'll test it tomorrow and report back.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:40 PM   #4

Your battery sounds like it is draining. Could be weak battery or too much electrical load or some of both. If I needed one, I would likely buy this one https://rvibrake.com/collections/sho...ant=8804388741
I don't own, so I can't give you firsthand experience.

My push button start '15 VW Golf TDI SEL has push button and no true 'acc' mode. One push either starts car (clutch depressed) or turns car to run but with engine off if you don't have the clutch depressed. It seems a negative as the 'acc' mode typically uses far less amps. Maybe your car is the same?
Old 05-02-2017, 09:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk2 View Post
Thanks. It has a push button start so that is a bit of a twist I forgot to mention. I'll test it tomorrow and report back.
I have a 2016 Veloster turbo 6 spd manual that I want to flat tow. It also has a push button ignition. How has yours worked out?
LCRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:18 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Check to see if it has a steering wheel lock. If not, why does it need to be turned to accessory position? If only to energize the power plug for the auxiliary brake, why not wire a power plug directly to battery for full time power?

Bob & Donna
Old 05-02-2017, 10:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCRV View Post
I have a 2016 Veloster turbo 6 spd manual that I want to flat tow. It also has a push button ignition. How has yours worked out?

I'n not sure. Sounds like a crazy answer but here is why. We put the car in neutral, set up the Patriot brake, put it in accessory mode, plug in the 12V and away we go. After about 30 minutes of towing my control in the cockpit of the coach starts beeping and blinking error message. When I check it out in the car the Patriot brake controller says low car battery but in reality, the car battery is not low. We just towed it for 6 hours and the car started right up so the battery didn't die. So I'm not really sure what the heck is going on. But we continue to tow and it does just fine. It follows the coach wherever go. Sometimes I don't use the brake controller depending on the law in a given state. My coach weighs 40,300 towing, with a GVWR of 44,000 and a combined of 59,000 so when towing, I'm still 2 tons under the weight of the coach.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:58 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
I'n not sure. Sounds like a crazy answer but here is why. We put the car in neutral, set up the Patriot brake, put it in accessory mode, plug in the 12V and away we go. After about 30 minutes of towing my control in the cockpit of the coach starts beeping and blinking error message. When I check it out in the car the Patriot brake controller says low car battery but in reality, the car battery is not low. We just towed it for 6 hours and the car started right up so the battery didn't die. So I'm not really sure what the heck is going on. But we continue to tow and it does just fine. It follows the coach wherever go. Sometimes I don't use the brake controller depending on the law in a given state. My coach weighs 40,300 towing, with a GVWR of 44,000 and a combined of 59,000 so when towing, I'm still 2 tons under the weight of the coach.
It could be an intermittent power supply, like a loose power plug in the outlet. Your comment about not using the auxiliary brake in states not requiring one, the Laws of Motion are in effect in every state. In an emergency, I want all the braking force and all tire friction helping me stop.

Bob & Donna
Old 05-03-2017, 05:26 AM   #9

I'm waiting to take delivery of my 2016 Veloster Turbo 6spd manual and having been trying to get aquainted with the car via the online owners manual. I think that the push button ignition automatically switches OFF somewhere between 30 and 60 minutes after it has been set to ACC in order to preserve battery power. This is one of my questions with regard to flat towing this vehicle. Assuming there is no locking steering column, why not just leave the ignition OFF. No battery drain. Outlets may not function for Aux. brake but a direct connection from the dinghy battery or the MH could be used. I'm no mechanic or electrician, but this makes sense to me. Looking forward to hearing where I've gone wrong.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:55 AM   #10

Quote:
I don't know about your vehicle, but in my F-150, the power port ( aka cigarette lighter plug) will shut off after a period of time- I think maybe 15 minutes or so. Perhaps yours does the same at the 30 minute mark. If so, look to set up a dedicated power source bypassing the "smart" outlet
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:07 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I grew tired of the Patriots error messages quickly.
Cranemec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:29 AM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCRV View Post
I'm waiting to take delivery of my 2016 Veloster Turbo 6spd manual and having been trying to get aquainted with the car via the online owners manual. I think that the push button ignition automatically switches OFF somewhere between 30 and 60 minutes after it has been set to ACC in order to preserve battery power. This is one of my questions with regard to flat towing this vehicle. Assuming there is no locking steering column, why not just leave the ignition OFF. No battery drain. Outlets may not function for Aux. brake but a direct connection from the dinghy battery or the MH could be used. I'm no mechanic or electrician, but this makes sense to me. Looking forward to hearing where I've gone wrong.
If the power outlet is ignition switched or times out, running a fused wire from the battery to a new power outlet would be a good solution. My Subaru has power ports that are ignition controlled, I have installed a separate outlet that is directly wired to the battery. In our VW, all outlets are powered full time, so no need to rewire or add an outlet. Each manufacturer handles the power in their own way.

Bob & Donna
Old 06-03-2017, 09:40 PM   #13
jws

I just bought a 2015 Veloster with a 6 SPD. I just picked it up from the shop where I had a Dingy tow kit installed. The 30 minute trip home was ok, however the question still has to be answered: if one has a push button starter, does the 60 minute "turn off" in the ACC mode ( as stated in the owners manual )lock the steering wheel. This could be a real problem. I guess I'll have to experiment the next few days before we start our trip. I will also write Hyundai but will not expect a solid answer.
jws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 06:23 AM   #14

Hello jws, I'm very interested in the results of your experimentation. I have my 2016 Veloster Turbo 6 spd now and, as far as I can tell, the steering does not lock when the push button ignition is OFF. Not sure if locking steering is country specific but my 2012 Elantra did not have locking steering either. I'm in Ontario Canada. I am trying to figure out my own series of tests to perform on my car before having a base plate installed. By the way, did you go with a Blue Ox system or Roadmaster? Hope you keep us informed...Thanks LCRV

Tags
tow, towing