Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2017, 05:28 PM   #1

Questions for Bay Star 3113 owners

This may be relevant to other Bay Star models also, but I am trying to understand whether I have a problem on my new 3113 or not.

Does the large slide on the drivers side fully extend at the top? Is the inner foam rubber seal on the slide compressed or touching the rig wall at the top when fully extended? Does the door on tall skinny pantry cupboard to the left of the fridge open more than 45deg?

I have a 1.5 inch plus gap at the inside top of my slide and the rig wall (bottom rollers are at the stops and bottom side of slide is up against wall but gap opens as you go vertically). The inner foam rubber seals on the slide are 1/8 inch from even contacting the wall at the top. My pantry cupboard door only opens 45deg.

Thanks for any help on this so I have good specific information to discuss with my dealer. Yes I think I have a slide issue, but I may have to have facts to convince others.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2017, 04:44 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

Here's a shot of the top of the pantry door on my 3113.

It opens a little more than 90 degrees.

You can see the chain that keeps it from opening more as well as the little door (which is open in this shot) that provides access to the rear slide lock.

On my slide the foam seal contacts the side wall evenly but is not very compressed.

I have only checked this along the front edge behind the driver's seat. I can check along the length of the slide when I have it out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3091.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	426.8 KB
ID:	162251  

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:36 PM   #3

Knightstorm,

Thanks for posting back on this. I am still getting conflicting information back, so your help is very much appreciated. I was not clear enough on the cupboard/door in question as I look at your picture and my original post. I don't have the rig here (been at dealer for over a month) and am doing this from memory. To clarify, it is the cupboard/door that is left of the fridge and perpendicular to the fridge.

I am attaching a notated pic from a screenshot of a 3113 for sale on the internet for better reference. I think even this picture shows the slide on this rig is all the way out and that the cupboard door will open up a full 90 degrees vs the 45 degrees we can only open mine.

Again, thanks for helping here...

Terry
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3113_Cupboard.jpeg
Views:	128
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	162264  
Old 05-18-2017, 06:59 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I can put my slide out tomorrow and get some shots but you definitely have a problem.

I can confirm that my door opens properly.

Old 05-18-2017, 07:04 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you go into QT's # 3 you will find in the BAY STAR section info you may want for your coach.
All the links below in my signature have info for your coach.
Enjoy the forum and safe travels in your new Newmar.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 02:11 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is the door you're looking at.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3092.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	439.8 KB
ID:	162446  

Old 05-21-2017, 07:07 PM   #7

Knightstorm,

Thanks again for taking the time to look at your rig for comparison. I will be glad to help out if you have any questions and need same.

So here is the rest of the story: The Service Manager at my dealer had been working with Newmar engineers for several days last week. On Friday, he called me to let me know what conclusion they came to.

The slide is actually going out fully. The foam rubber seal does not have to touch or compress between the slide inside fascia and the wall as it is not really a seal, but rather for astetics to hide the slide mechanism when the slide is out.

The issue is, that on my 3113 (which BTW had a build in production date of 06/10/2016) apparently missed a change after an engineering change order (ECO-255). Coaches that were done correctly after ECO-255 have doors on them that are 10.5in wide. My door is currently 12.5in wide.

The fix is to put the smaller door in (with some associated carpentry to make it all work). There may be other coaches out there with this same condition.

I would have never thought this the issue/answer to this (based on the gap at the top of the slide and the foam not even touching much less compressing). But apparently it is. Be curious to hear how wide your door is and what your build in production date was on your rig.

Below are a couple pics from my rig, which I did finally get back Saturday. Wife got to ride in it the 1st time (on her 60th birthday).

Regards,

Terry
Attached Images

Old 05-21-2017, 07:54 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Your two slide motors software may need to be adjusted to open the slide to its full extension , which it is not right now.
Your Dealer if a Newmar dealer should have a Newmar taught Tech that knows how to do this procedure.
SLIDE DUEL MOTOR ADJUSTMENT
Some owners have adjusted the soft limits themselves or call Newmar for a MOBIL TECH in your area they recommend.
The foam seals are not the seal, which is the rubber one that's around the slide box and attached to the fixed wall opening.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:13 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My coach was built in March 2017 so it should have that change order in place.

In addition to making the door narrower (I'll post again if my door is not 10.5") your door is also taller.

If you compare photos of your coach to the other examples, your door ends closer to the ceiling while my coach and the other one you posted have more space above the door so the door opens below the crown molding.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightstorm View Post
My coach was built in March 2017 so it should have that change order in place.

In addition to making the door narrower (I'll post again if my door is not 10.5") your door is also taller.

If you compare photos of your coach to the other examples, your door ends closer to the ceiling while my coach and the other one you posted have more space above the door so the door opens below the crown molding.
You are right, looks totally different. Your door looks pretty wide (I would be surprised if it was only 10.5 inches, and your coach was built after mine. Don't know what to think at this point.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";3609744]Your two slide motors software may need to be adjusted to open the slide to its full extension , which it is not right now.
Your Dealer if a Newmar dealer should have a Newmar taught Tech that knows how to do this procedure.
[B][URL="https://comnet2.newmarcorp.com/instance1Env99NEWMAR/html/images/SS2011KIBDSC100.pdf
SLIDE DUEL MOTOR ADJUSTMENT[/URL][/B]
Some owners have adjusted the soft limits themselves or call Newmar for a MOBIL TECH in your area they recommend.
The foam seals are not the seal, which is the rubber one that's around the slide box and attached to the fixed wall opening.
007, Thanks for the reply and reference. I had initially thought that the slide was not out all of the way also, but after looking underneath on the inside with a flashlight, I can clearly see that the rollers are up against the wood/stops and cannot go any further.

I then figured (and was told) that there was an adjustment that could be made to lower the top part of the slide so only the top would extend further. Ends up on a BS, apparently there is no such adjustment (as I was told). The dealer did say his Tech had just come back from Newmar training.

The slide does appear level, it comes in all the way, and the outside gaps are even when in. While I would have never guessed a different cupboard arrangement (door widths and lengths) was the cause of this, it does appear that for whatever reasons they (Newmar) did make changes to the cabinets.

As indicated, I have been told that the foam seals on the inner back fascia of the slides are not really seals at all, but rather for looks to hide the slide mechanisms while extended. The fact that these seals were not touching the wall (and my particular cupboard door not opening) was the reason I felt I had a slide issue (but apparently do not as it has been explained to me by Newmar and my dealer).

Thanks again for responding.

Terry
Old 05-22-2017, 10:08 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

My cabinet door is 10.5" wide. I also have slides that are farther in from the outside side wall at the top, but the gap is taken up by the foam.

The attached photos show the top and bottom front edges of the kitchen slide behind the driver's seat.

Look at the section on "inner saddle adjustment"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3104.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	629.3 KB
ID:	162671   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1495470613.948149.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	463.0 KB
ID:	162672  

Name:	Image1495470633.474591.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	431.3 KB
ID:	162673  

Old 05-22-2017, 11:09 AM   #13

Thanks Knightstorm.

Looks like the door is the difference. I was told about the saddle adjustment on the slide when I called the Newmar Bay Star contact initially, but later another Newmar Tech said there was no such adjustment on a Bay Star. All part of the conflicting information that caused me to reach out on the forum.

Based on your pics, I think our slides are out exactly the same. It was just the cabinetry issue that is the real problem. Like I said, I would have never thought that but...

Terry
Old 05-22-2017, 12:56 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If your coach "missed" the change it sounds like they will have to replace that cabinet face and door.

It's good to know the foam trim is cosmetic. That makes me feel better about making that front fascia board removable to get more leg room for the driver.