Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2013, 06:19 AM   #1
OWV

Questions for the Newmar forum - DP in the 35-40 foot range

The Bride and I are in the process of selling our home and plan to become full-time RVers crisscrossing the US and Canada for the next 5-10 years. We are currently doing our due diligence and are trying to be as prepared as possible for the Hershey show in a couple of weeks. There are lots of manufacturers/rigs to choose from and we are hoping that some of the owner’s forums will share their thoughts on what they have and why. Some of our 1,000s of questions include, why did you choose a Newmar? What do you like most about your rig and what do you like least? Would you buy a Newmar again, and, if not, what would you buy? How do you think a Newmar compares with the competition? Anything you would be willing to share would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Regards,
OWV

Regards,
OWV
OWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2013, 06:37 AM   #2

I bought mine because I thought it was the best available. I also thought the quality would sustain me through the years. My wife and I liked the features, and we special ordered exactly what we wanted.
We like the creature comforts the best, along with the colors and styling; villa furniture, fireplace, tile floor, in-motion TV.
What we like least is the guessing game as to what will go wrong next. Started with the fan belts shredding, and having to be towed (once at 6,000 miles and once at 12,000 miles), and from there proceeded to every other part of the coach (slide wouldn't go out, driver window cracked after jack slipped, steps wouldn't extend, "stop engine" light/alarm, awnings broke, a/c stopped working, bedroom tv went blank, etc.).
I don't think I'd buy a Newmar again, although their customer service is good, their service network is less than adequate. If you didn't travel, and were able to stay near a service center that was good, then there would be less of a problem, but, with Newmar, you will find that most of the loyalists return to the factory for service each year. Well, to me, that points out the main flaw in the network: the local service is not so good.
Compared to it's competition, I'd say its OK, because from what I have seen the others have similar problems. There is no "good" and no "bad", it's really a matter of how much money it's going to cost, and how inconvenienced you're going to be.
soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:00 AM   #3

We are happy withour Dutch Star. I is a 2007 model an we experience about the same type and number of problems as with other DP's we have owned. Consider this: many of the systems and sub-systems on all motor homes are made by vendors and are common to a number of builders both chasis and coach. Also, Newmar is still in business and will likley be around for the near future. I believe there are several manufacturers who make quality products and if maintained well, and will last for years. I would buy another Newmar if I liked the specific unit, but I would consider other similar models also. I recommend that you consider any of the top three builders and choose the one that suits your needs best. I am talking about top three in sales. Good luck.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:00 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
We were where you are about 3 years ago. We ask the questions as you are and received much valuable information. We looked at the high end coaches. Newmar, Entegra, Tiffin, several others. We found our Zephyr and really like it. It has been dependable, minor issues that come with all vehicles. Take your time, continue your research and you will find what best fits your needs. Our decission was made on floor plan, quality, driveability, manufacturer reputation. If we looked at a preowned coach, we required service records, owners manuals. We also verifyed with a full service RV dealer within reasonable driving distance from where we will mostly reside that they will service our coach. Full service is the key, as most RV dealers don't service the drive train, oil service, etc. Take your time, enjoy.
kewag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:08 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Here's something that I started when looking for info.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/buy-...st-147205.html
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:53 AM   #6

Newmar and Tiffin are the only brands I would consider
Rodneykrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:26 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Our Newmar Essex is our 3rd coach in 13 years... we have owned a 1999 Safari Serengeti, a 2002 Beaver Patriot and now a 2011 Newmar Essex. All of the coaches were great coaches... but the Essex is a road machine! The Essex's size, driveability, appointments, ETC make it our absolute favorite coach. It has been VERY reliable, VERY driveable, and generally a joy to own. The Oasis system is second to none, the Amish cabinetry quality is superb; being an all electric coach is plus and the Comfort Drive system is a technological marvel! Is it a complex coach... you bet, but the silver leaf multiplex system makes this unit so easy to manage. Look around, there are probably equal coaches... but at the price point, NONE will beat it!! Oh, and we have EXCELLANT local service!!
Old 08-31-2013, 04:34 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OWV View Post
.... plan to become full-time RVers crisscrossing the US and Canada for the next 5-10 years.... ... due diligence.... Hershey show in a couple of weeks..... lots of manufacturers/rigs to choose from.....
Welcome, OWV! You've come to the right place. So, you'll definitely be fulltiming, but I'm not sure whether you'll be buying new or not. Doesn't really matter, I guess.

My wife and I were making the same choices about 2 years ago. If you've decided on a motorhome over a fifth wheel, one major choice is off the table. If you're asking here, I'll presume you've pretty much decided on a diesel pusher. If you know you'll be fulltiming, without returning to a permanent house periodically, then your next decision is 90% resolved.

When fulltiming, you'll be looking at and dealing with your coach on a daily basis. You will want a coach with a floorplan that is well thought out, that you find comfortable and useful, and that doesn't leave you repeatedly saying 'I wish that was over there....' . You will want a coach that is put together with enough care and quality that it looks very nice and doesn't routinely present you with irritating little examples of shoddy assembly work or cheap design. Things like that get really aggravating when you look at them every day! Also, the chassis and body construction must be robust, as it will be in use every day either traveling or just living. This is your house. You live here. You're not just camping. Your standards will be the same as for the houses you've owned over the years. You want your house, with reasonable care, to be as strong and reliable twenty years from now as it is today.

In short, what you're looking for is pretty and strong. Now, lots of people can build pretty, and some of them might stay pretty for a while. Strong is another thing. Strong you can't see, so you have to rely on performance and reputation. What you're looking for is a company that not only HAS a hard earned reputation for reliability, care and quality, but also HAS HAD that reputation for many years. You need to look at how many fifteen or twenty year old models from a manufacturer are still travelling the countryside. Of all the motorhomes made, there are only a very small number of manufacturers who meet these standards, and Newmar is certainly one of them.

My suggestion is to check user opinions, as you're doing, check RV sales sites like www.rvclassified.com , www.rvonline.com, www.rvtrader.com , to get an idea of what's available (if you're buying used), and go to the RV Consumer Group ( www.rv.org ) to check ratings on virtually all brands and types of motorhomes and other RVs.

Good luck with your search!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:00 PM   #9

OWV,

Here is my two cents. My first coach was and is a Dutch Star. It has a single slide. I wished I had a slide in the bedroom but I don't. There are some great deals out there on used Dutch Stars. I have had problems along the way, we are in our 3rd year with it. All of the problems have been either with the chassis, Spartan, or items that were installed by suppliers. The only problem I have had with this coach is with the slide out. The compression nut on the drive shaft came loose. It is a bear to tighten if you don't have the right tool, 1.5" open end wrench ratchet. It is about a $50 item. The good thing is if the slide is out and the nut comes loose you can push the slide in with a little help from a couple of friends. Having said that, no matter used or new, a little rain will fall and you just have to deal with it. Learn to fix things and send the really hard stuff to the professional.

Now as for me, my next coach will either be a used Newmar Mountain Aire or the preferred Foretravel. I am going after a used Foretravel. I think they are the best coach out there.

Good luck with your new adventure. Be sure to talk to some full timers to make sure you get off on the right foot. There are a lot of things to consider, taxes, home of record, doctors and insurance. It can be mind boggling. FMCA is a good resource as well as Good Sam.

All the Best

Bill(driver) and Marsha(DW),
2000 DSDP 3851
Eddie(RV) and Betty(Buick) Enclave
wrb7636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:28 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are on our third motorhome and hopefully our last. We plan to half time beginning in about 9 months. We started out looking at used Newmars (MA and Essex) but landed on the coach in our sig. It seems solidly built, has plenty of room and comfort features.

If I was planning to buy a new coach, I think my choices for manufacturers would likely be Newmar, American Coach and Entegra. My top choice if I thought I'd ever have the money for it would be Foretravel. I believe they make a fine coach.

I believe that none of the manufacturers have much of a service network to speak of. You can certainly find some good RV repair shops on the road but not always. Newmar folks go to the Newmar factory, Winnebago to their factory, Tiffin to Red Bay, AL, and so on. They go there because the factory can generally get the job done. If you are full timing, you can always plan your travels around a trip to the factory for service....unless the factory is somewhere you just don't want to go to.

I also believe any of them can have issues and owning a motorhome, while fun and rewarding in may respects, takes a certain level of insanity . They seem to break at the worst times and can be real money pits. However, not unlike some boats and other pricey toys.

Good luck in your search and safe travels.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:59 AM   #11

We have a Newmar Dutch Star diesel, been full timing for over 3yrs. now. Would I buy another Newmar? Nope, I've got the only one I'll ever need!!!
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:04 AM   #12

As we shopped around we gave each manufacture a rating in each area.
Layout, insulation, etc. We also went to factories.

While Newmar wasn't the highest in every category, they consistently scored high.

Nobody had the floorplan we liked 100%. Newmar, however, was willing to build it. The price for our custom (the way we wanted) coach was no different then buying off the lot.

Our issues/problems have been small and nothing major. We had for 12 months and put 12,000 miles on. 1 big trip left this year which will add another 4,000 miles.

If I get some time I'll get a good the bad and the ugly update done Monday night. It will be a big post with lots of photos.

Good luck with your hunt, there are lots of great coaches out there.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:02 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
If I get some time I'll get a good the bad and the ugly update done Monday night. It will be a big post with lots of photos.
PDR John ... I for one will sure be looking forward to reading this. Your posts are always so informative and interesting ... and have lots of pictures!!!!!!

Steve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:36 AM   #14
OWV

Quote:
Originally Posted by vraines View Post
We are happy withour Dutch Star. I is a 2007 model an we experience about the same type and number of problems as with other DP's we have owned. Consider this: many of the systems and sub-systems on all motor homes are made by vendors and are common to a number of builders both chasis and coach. Also, Newmar is still in business and will likley be around for the near future. I believe there are several manufacturers who make quality products and if maintained well, and will last for years. I would buy another Newmar if I liked the specific unit, but I would consider other similar models also. I recommend that you consider any of the top three builders and choose the one that suits your needs best. I am talking about top three in sales. Good luck.
Thanks for the input. Who would you consider to be the top 3 manufacturers? Also trying to get thoughts on who folks consider to be high end, mid level and low end.

Regards,
OWV
OWV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forum, newmar