Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2016, 09:32 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Questions on Clarion radio with navigation

Ordering a 2017 LA and I have a 2014 MA with the Clarion Navigation and radio. I turned it off 1 week after delivery when it put me on roads that it should not have.
My questions

Are the 2016 Clarion Navigation systems working properly and can Sirius radio subscription be added with no alterations to the radio.

Also has anyone chose not to use that option and been allowed to upgrade say to the Essex system as a special?

Is anyone using a portable GPS and has it permanently mounted and looks good?

Any ideas on how to have monitor for passenger with a portable GPS?

Thanks for any help that you can provide
freen03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2016, 09:45 AM   #2
GKU

I have a 2016 DS with the Clarion Navigation and radio. I do not like the navigation part at all. I am in the process of getting a portable to use. On two recent trips if I followed the Clarions directions I would have been lost or worse.

As far as the radio part it works great including Sirius. i didn't need to get anything extra to use Sirius.
GKU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 03:57 PM   #3

I believe the XM receiver is a separate unit that is plugged into the Clarion head. If you order the coach with XM it will be installed and ready to go once you call Sirius and activate your subscription by giving the ID of the receiver.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:50 AM   #4

I use and trust the Garmin 760LMT that I mounted on the dash above the Clarion. Easy to view and I store it when parked. I have had several occasions where the Garmin conflicted with the Clarion and I am glad I chose the Garmin route.
Phil_Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:00 AM   #5
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Portable Garmin GPS is the way to go IMHO. With free lifetime map upgrades it's a no brainer. Also great if you have a towed as you can use it when exploring the area.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:29 AM   #6

Went to my local audio shop just a few days ago to talk with the owner about a system in my jeep, trying to get it all figured out. He had clarion decks for sale and I commented on them, product line he hasn't carried in the past. His response was clarion is pulling out of the US, concentrating on Europe only.

I would say Kenwood has the best NAV, it's Garmin based and even then it's not as reliable as a Garmin.
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:02 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
First of all, I'm disappointed to hear Newmar is using the Clarion. The one in our current coach is junk. My ancient old Garmin, purchased years before this coach, has a campground/RV park category, the Clarion in our Revolution does not. We didn't even get out of the dealer's lot before I put that old Garmin on the dash immediately on top of the OEM crap (and I made sure AC knew what I thought of it).

The Garmin was eventually replaced (although I occasionally still use it in one of our cars) with an RV specific "portable", which is now about 5 years old but still working just fine. One problem with any built in GPS is the cost and effort required to update it. Both the old Garmin and the "new" Rand McNally came with free lifetime updates, all I need to do is plug it into my computer once in a while.

If I were you, I'd plan on getting and using a good portable GPS. It'll be a few weeks before I can show you what I came up with to mount it in the new LA, but I'm assuming I'll be able to use the same sticky backed matt I've used in the Rev for the last five years and put it right on top of the dash.

The Sirius receiver was an option on our 2016 (around $250, if I remember correctly). Can't tell you if it is still an option or standard in the 2017.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:29 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I agree that the Clarion is JUNK both as a receiver and navigation. I have checked into replacing but the only dash fit replacement is the Kenwood DNX571TR which seems a little outdated. I purchased the Garmin RV 760LMT which works ok but I keep loosing signal. Not crazy about having the top of my dash cluttered with the portable unit.

John
2015 Newmar Mountain Aire 4503
2013 Jeep Wrangler Moab Edition
Josh2129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:42 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks
Old 04-27-2016, 05:45 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Please do let me know what you will be using because I for sure do not want a Clarion and I have sent Newmar an email about how customers feel about them.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:51 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=JMonroe;3042836]First of all, I'm disappointed to hear Newmar is using the Clarion. The one in our current coach is junk. My ancient old Garmin, purchased years before this coach, has a campground/RV park category, the Clarion in our Revolution does not. We didn't even get out of the dealer's lot before I put that old Garmin on the dash immediately on top of the OEM crap (and I made sure AC knew what I thought of it).

The Garmin was eventually replaced (although I occasionally still use it in one of our cars) with an RV specific "portable", which is now about 5 years old but still working just fine. One problem with any built in GPS is the cost and effort required to update it. Both the old Garmin and the "new" Rand McNally came with free lifetime updates, all I need to do is plug it into my computer once in a while.

If I were you, I'd plan on getting and using a good portable GPS. It'll be a few weeks before I can show you what I came up with to mount it in the new LA, but I'm assuming I'll be able to use the same sticky backed matt I've used in the Rev for the last five years and put it right on top of the dash.

The Sirius receiver was an option on our 2016 (around $250, if I remember correctly). Can't tell you if it is still an option or standard in the 2017.

It is an option and if you don't choose it you get a nice Sony radio Siruis ready. I sent an email to Newmar today about how I feel about Clarion along with other customers.
Do let me know what you come up with in your new coach.
Thanks
Old 04-28-2016, 05:32 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
We use a Rand McNally RVND for our navigation, see photo for the dash mount. SiriusXM feature in our Clarion works great. Sorry but I couldn't figure out how to rotate the photo.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	255.8 KB
ID:	125481
jbrown000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:50 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Questions on Clarion radio with navigation

I updated my unit after I got the DS last month. Simply remove memory card place in laptop and download the clarion software. I have used it on 2 trips and it has been 100% accurate including traffic, etc.
now it is more challenging to put addresses in but once that was figured out it works fine.
Is it as easy as my 7710 was, no, but it has list of campgrounds, fuel stops, etc, you just need to know how to find them.
It also has speed set, than will warn you if you go a certain amount over posted speed limit(you choose the amount)

Could they have done better, yes, will the Clarion work, yes!
Just need to figure out all the features
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: '19 Tahoe, '22 JLU, '17 JKU, IRV3 Brake System
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc4fun View Post
I updated my unit after I got the DS last month. Simply remove memory card place in laptop and download the clarion software. I have used it on 2 trips and it has been 100% accurate including traffic, etc.
now it is more challenging to put addresses in but once that was figured out it works fine.
Is it as easy as my 7710 was, no, but it has list of campgrounds, fuel stops, etc, you just need to know how to find them.
It also has speed set, than will warn you if you go a certain amount over posted speed limit(you choose the amount)

Could they have done better, yes, will the Clarion work, yes!
Just need to figure out all the features
My Clarion has been a disaster since we took delivery last year. I would like to try to what you suggest. Any chance you could share some more basic instructions for those of us too lazy to get out the manual? Thanks
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio